airdvr

Black Republican Candidate in Baltimore

On 8/25/2020 at 6:36 PM, airdvr said:

Great whataboutism Bill.  You think Trump is responsible for race riots? So Clinton was responsible for LA in '92.

But I digress.  How do you solve inner city problems?  One word...jobs.  How do you bring back employers?  make it a business friendly environment.  I know business and Democrat don't mix well so I'll just leave it at that.

Commercial real estate, other peoples property that you sell to make money, is tanking. Pretty much, unless things change, you are toast. What is your plan for jobs and bringing back employers?

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Commercial real estate, other peoples property that you sell to make money, is tanking. Pretty much, unless things change, you are toast. What is your plan for jobs and bringing back employers?

Discounts and positive thinking.

1. 9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Come back to the states and stop drinking the Koolaid.  I was concerned about the real estate market when all of this began but again, it's a very regional problem.  I'm not having a great year but I'm quite far away from toast.  The commercial sector is struggling to be sure but I'm not a one trick pony.

43 minutes ago, airdvr said:
  1. Come back to the states and stop drinking the Koolaid.  I was concerned about the real estate market when all of this began but again, it's a very regional problem.  I'm not having a great year but I'm quite far away from toast.  The commercial sector is struggling to be sure but I'm not a one trick pony.

I love your positive thinking because one more republican president would be the end of the party.  The Economy Under Democratic vs.Republican Presidents

Hopefully as a realtor you have good liability insurance because mistake of facts doesn't have consequence here.

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

I love your positive thinking because one more republican president would be the end of the party.  The Economy Under Democratic vs.Republican Presidents

Hopefully as a realtor you have good liability insurance because mistake of facts doesn't have consequence here.

Unfortunately my E & O coverage has a $2500 deductible.  I made a huge mistake about 5 years ago.  Actually encouraged the client to sue because I felt bad for him and the deductible was far less than what the brokerage made on the deal.  Strangely enough he never did.

45 minutes ago, airdvr said:
  1. Come back to the states and stop drinking the Koolaid.  I was concerned about the real estate market when all of this began but again, it's a very regional problem.  I'm not having a great year but I'm quite far away from toast.  The commercial sector is struggling to be sure but I'm not a one trick pony.

Few problems are equal everywhere. My real estate portfolio includes commercial, residential and farm land. I'm always watching valuations relative to other regions. Suburban residential is looking great. Farm land is stable and commercial, especially retail and office is tanking.

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

Unfortunately my E & O coverage has a $2500 deductible.  I made a huge mistake about 5 years ago.  Actually encouraged the client to sue because I felt bad for him and the deductible was far less than what the brokerage made on the deal.  Strangely enough he never did.

Now without looking it up that little saying that Wendy has about breaking safety rules comes to mind.That failure to adhere to facts, or safety rules, soon or later results in serious consequence.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:38 PM, Coreece said:

Poverty is somewhat of a mindset, and living in highly populated, densely packed neighborhoods and housing projects with limited opportunity makes it even harder to break free - especially when violent crime invites shit loads of police, increasing interaction with those police and elevating the odds of being snagged for petty crimes, forcing one to put their life on hold until navigating through the penal system.  It's a vicious cycle and many never find their way out.

I agree with this. From first hand experience. My ex came from a family of drugs and crime who never worked. She left that state to start a new life which is when I met her. She lasted just over 3 years with me and then went back and is herself now immersed in drugs (meth) and crime.

She struggled with me working, she had never experienced the man in the house being away all day. She would beg me to leave work at all times of the day. She started a Uni degree and dropped out. At the end of the day she simply didn’t have the skills, knowledge or willpower to make the change. Her kids now are repeating the cycle of her childhood (foster system etc). As you say it’s a vicious cycle and I don’t know how you change it. She had “everything” with me, stable and safe home. But in the end it was her roots that won

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nigel99 said:

At the end of the day she simply didn’t have the skills, knowledge or willpower to make the change. Her kids now are repeating the cycle of her childhood (foster system etc). As you say it’s a vicious cycle and I don’t know how you change it. She had “everything” with me, stable and safe home. But in the end it was her roots that won

That is unfortunate.  Kids will mimic what they see every day.  Over the last 50 years we have cultivated generations of people unable to perform in a capitalist society.  Not sure how you fix that one.

(edited)
32 minutes ago, airdvr said:

That is unfortunate.  Kids will mimic what they see every day.  Over the last 50 years we have cultivated generations of people unable to perform in a capitalist society.  Not sure how you fix that one.

Even if you could, will there ever be enough jobs given the ever growing population along with automation?

Perhaps there's hope in working online from home in one way or another - and while there is bit of a learning curve, it shouldn't be much of an issue in the future when kids will learn to walk with a tablet in their hands.

Edited by Coreece

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

We cultivated people unable to work in a capitalist society for the first few hundred years of American settlement.  This problem has always been with us; there have always been poor.  Heck, read the Bible - Jesus said the same thing back in the day.

21 minutes ago, billvon said:

We cultivated people unable to work in a capitalist society for the first few hundred years of American settlement.  This problem has always been with us; there have always been poor.  Heck, read the Bible - Jesus said the same thing back in the day.

That's true Bill but they didn't get a check every month.

"Klacik appeared on Revolt Black News Thursday night with host Eboni K. Williams and conservative pundit Tara Setmayer. To kick off the segment, Williams played a clip of Klacik’s ad where she matter-of-factly states, “The worst place for a Black person to live in America is a Democrat-controlled city.” She then challenges voters to “name a Blue city where Black people’s lives have gotten better. Try—I’ll wait.” 

Williams countered Klacik’s now viral message by asking the candidate for Maryland’s 7th Congressional District to name a Republican-controlled city or state where Black life has improved.

“Where Black life has improved?” Klacik responded, stumped. “Oh. That’s a good question. That’s not something I’ve looked up.” 

Klacik’s response furthered Williams’s prior assertion that Republicans have often chastised the left for their leadership of Black communities, but haven’t always “demonstrated a better alternative.” When Williams asks the 38-year-old to spend some time telling her where she sees any evidence of the Republican party making the case for Black people, Klacik also appears unable to give a clear answer. Instead, she notes that Republicans need to do a better job at engaging inner cities. “Republicans have written off inner cities again and again,” she said."

Above from Essence is a monthly lifestyle magazine covering fashion, beauty, entertainment, and culture. First published in 1970, its target audience is African-American women       '

Sorry, airdvr, but Bill has a point. We as a society did, in fact, reward a whole population (by letting them exist in service) as long as they complied completely. We continued that after "emancipating" them through much of the country. Not to mention all the rural subsistence farmers who can't survive off their land any more. Housing is nearly unaffordble for anyone who isn't making noticeably above minimum wage, and boarding houses (through the halcyon 30's a bastion of lower-class people who couldn't afford to live anywhere else) are illegal or impractical in much of the country.

But we, as a country, don't really want people dying of starvation and cold too publicly, so there are welfare payments.

How many underqualified people who don't know how to work are you willing to hire to start their cycle away from it? Or do they have to take the first, second, third, and fourth steps themselves, and maybe when they're the best of all candidates, maybe you'll consider them if they'd fit in the culture?

Wendy P.

We haven't gotten it right. And there are people who abuse the system (there are people who abuse every system, but they're called "sharks" or "raiders" in the business world). So where do we start? By cutting off payments and seeing what happens (because they're poor and don't have any power anyway), or by putting in some support systems to reduce the need. That second answer is harder; takes more analysis and preparation, but the people who stay off then are more likely to remain off.

Right now being poor means having no second chances much of hte time.

Wendy P.

9 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

I think this is relevant, I've always liked the source book but it's been doing the rounds again recently so will drop this here:

Whenever people throw the phrase SJW around Pratchett is one of the people I picture and wonder how they can possibly think it's an insult. 

8 hours ago, airdvr said:

Correct again Wendy but there is a fine line between helping someone who is in need and condemning them to become wards of the state.  

Of course.  And politicians often draw that line in the wrong place and screw it up.  Still, I am glad I live in a country where the default is to try - even if it gets screwed up sometimes.  That, to me, is a great deal better than living in a country that says "eh, let them die.  Not my problem."