airdvr

Black Republican Candidate in Baltimore

19 minutes ago, kallend said:

Henry Moseley, discovered Moseley's Law allowing unambiguous identification of chemical elements.  Fixed up the periodic table correcting Mendeleev's errors. Clearly Nobel Prize material.

Sent off to Gallipoli in WW1, KIA.

STUPID waste of genius.

He volunteered. Might have been that whole patriotic fervor thing, but even smart people can do things like that. But yes, definitely a waste. 
Wendy P. 

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

More excuses from the left.  Always easier to dismiss the message than it is to address the problems.  50 years of Dem leadership have produced a shithole city.  Want me to name some other Dem controlled cities that are the same?

Don't you think the people of Baltimore have been fed enough bullshit from the left about how to fix the problems?

9 of the 10 poorest states are Republican. Politifact ruling Whether you look at per-person, household, or family income, nine out of the ten poorest states voted Republican in the last four presidential elections.

The judges rule the statement is True.

Game, set and match. The fat lady has sung. Checkmate.

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I’m not sure how you can believe in freedom to choose freedom of speech or freedom in general and also be in favour of compulsory national service.

Every freedom has limitations. A closed-ended commitment will open the horizons of a lot of people with otherwise limited views. Won’t necessarily change them, but it’s arguable that WW2 changed the US at least socially a lot, by exposing people from disparate parts of the country to each other. Didn’t help with racism against Blacks, but improved anti-Jewish and Southern European sentiment quite a bit. 
Wendy P. 

2 hours ago, billvon said:

And four years of GOP leadership have produced countrywide race riots. 

Here's a good option - put Biden in the White House, send Trump to Baltimore.  Win-win.

Great whataboutism Bill.  You think Trump is responsible for race riots? So Clinton was responsible for LA in '92.

But I digress.  How do you solve inner city problems?  One word...jobs.  How do you bring back employers?  make it a business friendly environment.  I know business and Democrat don't mix well so I'll just leave it at that.

29 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

9 of the 10 poorest states are Republican. Politifact ruling Whether you look at per-person, household, or family income, nine out of the ten poorest states voted Republican in the last four presidential elections.

The judges rule the statement is True.

Game, set and match. The fat lady has sung. Checkmate.

Don't look now...

The poorest states, based on per capita income, are, from first to last: Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Louisiana, Montana, South Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama, and North Carolina. Of these, exactly half—Arkansas, Kentucky, Montana, North Carolina, and West Virginia—have Democratic governors and three have Democratic majorities in the lower house of their legislature, so these state governments can hardly be classified as completely Republican. On the other hand, only North Carolina voted for Obama in 2008, so in that sense, these states may be leaning Republican.

(edited)
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

How do you solve inner city problems?  One word...jobs.  How do you bring back employers?  make it a business friendly environment.  I know business and Democrat don't mix well so I'll just leave it at that.

Hi airdvr,

I agree with the first part of your post.  I also agree, somewhat, about 'business & Democrat don't mix so well.'

However, the R's are far more responsible for jobs going off-shore than the D's.

It really comes down to do you want to pay $3.69 for a t-shirt or would you be willing to pay about $7.00 for that same shirt made in the USA.

https://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Short-Sleeve-Beefy-T-Shirt-Black/dp/B00VZYXF2K/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=t-shirts&qid=1598395133&rnid=2941120011&s=apparel&sr=1-3

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I'm all for bringing these jobs back; even if it means me paying $7.00 for that t-shirt.

Edited by JerryBaumchen

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Don't look now...

The poorest states, based on per capita income, are, from first to last: Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Louisiana, Montana, South Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama, and North Carolina. Of these, exactly half—Arkansas, Kentucky, Montana, North Carolina, and West Virginia—have Democratic governors and three have Democratic majorities in the lower house of their legislature, so these state governments can hardly be classified as completely Republican. On the other hand, only North Carolina voted for Obama in 2008, so in that sense, these states may be leaning Republican.

Hi airdvr,

Sorry, he was talking about 'Presidential elections.'  Sort of destroys your entire reply.

Jerry Baumchen

15 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Great whataboutism Bill.

Whataboutism?  I proposed a solution that should make everyone happy.

But I digress.  How do you solve inner city problems?  One word...jobs.  How do you bring back employers?  make it a business friendly environment. 

That solves the problem of the city but not the problems of the people who live there.  Gentrifying a business district and pushing the poor people out isn't really a solution.

How do you solve the problems of the people?  Education and training.  Put the money there and the businesses will follow.  They will look for the cheap real estate in the area with a cheaper, well trained workforce.

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

The biggest problem we have is that only black people are allowed to talk about black problems.  The only way I dare bring this thread up is well...it's here and no one really cares what I have to say. 

Given that it's a big topic of discussion here - not really.

34 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Watch the video again.  

OK, so given that is your response to my specific question you must think every single thing she said in that campaign video is true.

And you claim not to be a right wing partisan. Wow.

34 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Great whataboutism Bill.  You think Trump is responsible for race riots? So Clinton was responsible for LA in '92.

But I digress.  How do you solve inner city problems?  One word...jobs.  How do you bring back employers?  make it a business friendly environment.  I know business and Democrat don't mix well so I'll just leave it at that.

One consideration is that Bush was president in 1992. Clinton was a candidate. 
The problem isn’t necessarily with other people discussing the problems of the apparently monolithic and all-alike group “the blacks,” its with those same people not letting the subjects of that discussion into it unless they agree with the outside opinion. 
Wendy P. 

45 minutes ago, airdvr said:

One word...jobs.  How do you bring back employers?  make it a business friendly environment.  I know business and Democrat don't mix well so I'll just leave it at that.

Obama created more jobs than Trump. Historically more jobs are created under Democratic presidents than under Republican presidents.

Does "hard truth" relate to facts or only to the truthiness you feel in your belly?

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi airdvr,

Sorry, he was talking about 'Presidential elections.'  Sort of destroys your entire reply.

Jerry Baumchen

"Republican leaders have spent months promoting the myth that red low-tax states are subsidizing blue high-tax states because of the deduction for state and local taxes.

An Associated Press Fact Check finds it’s actually the other way around. High-tax, traditionally Democratic states (blue), subsidize low-tax, traditionally Republican states (red) — in a big way.

Republicans are trying to eliminate the deduction as part of the sweeping tax package working its way through Congress. They added back a deduction for up to $10,000 in property taxes, in a concession to Republicans from high-tax states such as New York and New Jersey. California Republicans are pushing to extend the deduction to local income taxes, too."

From AP factcheck.

It all comes down to the facts that old uneducated white men, i.e. republicans, are now supported by educated Whites, Browns, and all the other colors of the human spectrum.

(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

OK, so given that is your response to my specific question you must think every single thing she said in that campaign video is true.

And you claim not to be a right wing partisan. Wow.

When have I claimed that?

And why do you keep insisting on making this personal?

Edited by turtlespeed

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Every freedom has limitations. A closed-ended commitment will open the horizons of a lot of people with otherwise limited views. Won’t necessarily change them, but it’s arguable that WW2 changed the US at least socially a lot, by exposing people from disparate parts of the country to each other. Didn’t help with racism against Blacks, but improved anti-Jewish and Southern European sentiment quite a bit. 
Wendy P. 

Some sort of public service for the young is often a popular idea amongst people our age. Not that many 18-year-olds support it though. I’m wondering how much public service time you put in in your 18th year of life?

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Some sort of public service for the young is often a popular idea amongst people our age. Not that many 18-year-olds support it though. I’m wondering how much public service time you put in in your 18th year of life?

I was in the Navy . . . does that count?

Thanks for your service.  My son is a nuke machinist mate stationed at Pearl harbor.  The service has been great for him but I doubt mandating would go over well.  OTOH, workfare should be employed.  If you get assistance you should be required to do something for it.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

The biggest problem we have is that only black people are allowed to talk about black problems.  The only way I dare bring this thread up is well...it's here and no one really cares what I have to say. 

You're free to talk but as usual you're wrong on the facts. Since trump took office the US debt has increased $8 trillion or about $26,000 for every man woman and child.

Had that money been invested in job training, building up decayed urban areas, etc. Instead of being wasted on tax breaks for the airlines and other companies who used the money to buy back shares. This wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

Nobody can piss away a couple trillion dollars like trump and republicans."We’ve got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt. ... Well, I would say over a period of eight years. And I’ll tell you why.”

• Like 1

(edited)
6 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Off topic comment, as 2020 Census worker I find it odd that Hispanic, Latino, and Spanish are not considered races. The respondent chooses Yes or No. The questionnaire leads the respondent to choose White as the race, although all other choices are equally acceptable. 

For example, the respondent chooses Yes and then could choose Native American as race.

This link here gives a little detail about that question.  You can then click the see more link to view additional details.

From first Link:

These responses help create statistics about this ethnic group. This helps federal agencies monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as those in the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act.

From Second Link

We ask the question this way to comply with the federal government’s standards—provided by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget—for collecting data on race and Hispanic origin.

It seems they just want an accurate count of this group without any confusion.  I'm guessing it helps to make sure that the proper funding is available for them regardless if they identify as white or whatever else.

I remember I was researching the demographics of a certain city, (I forget which one) and it said that it was 60% white.  I said that can't be right - that would ruin my entire argument, lol - but with a closer look  it showed that of that 60% that identified as white, 80% were Hispanic/Latino.

This kind of reminds me of another off topic issue regarding a commercial for a PrEP drug for HIV.  When prescribing the medication, doctors apparently don't care about what gender you identify as, they only care about what  "gender you were assigned at birth," since the drug wasn't safe for females.

Edited by Coreece