1 1
billvon

How to end this

Just now, turtlespeed said:

Site? Source? Video?

Twitter posts from yesterday, so take that with as much salt as you deem necessary.

If it helps, haven't seen any sources to the contrary that would indicate they weren't peaceful. One could infer that because the cops used teargas, they MUSTN'T have been peaceful, but also I watched video yesterday of cops shooting an unarmed man in the face pointblank with a teargas canister right after macing him, so you know, there's that.

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

Why not?

Wendy P. 

First off, because whites are not starting from an oppressed position.

Another is that the media wouldn't support it.

Then, I think, (or believe, or assume, ) that the general understanding from the white point of view is that the odds are, if you are in that situation, you are probably doing something you shouldn't be. (Yes, there are exceptions of bad reactions and bad judgement, among other bad factors) The whole "I didn't do nuffin" defense doesn't ring that true.  

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:

First off, because whites are not starting from an oppressed position.

Another is that the media wouldn't support it.

Then, I think, (or believe, or assume, ) that the general understanding from the white point of view is that the odds are, if you are in that situation, you are probably doing something you shouldn't be. (Yes, there are exceptions of bad reactions and bad judgement, among other bad factors) The whole "I didn't do nuffin" defense doesn't ring that true.  

Why can’t someone who isn’t oppressed demonstrate for someone who is? 
A well-known local peace activist died last year at 100. She was last arrested at 97, and when asked how many times she’d been arrested, she answered “not nearly enough times.” (Frances Crowe)
Wendy P. 

32 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

A well-known local peace activist died last year at 100. She was last arrested at 97, and when asked how many times she’d been arrested, she answered “not nearly enough times.” (Frances Crowe)
Wendy P. 

I never suggested they couldn't, or evn shouldn't - I would offer that respectfully standing along side is one way that the rift could be healed a bit.

The question I was posing was referring to the number of whites killed by cops vs blacks.

I was truly surprised to learn that there were more white people killed by cops.

To hear the media report it - there is a lopsidedness of 10 to 1.

43 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P. 

The great Pete Seeger comes to mind. And of course, Jane Fonda is now a grand old dame and still getting arrested at protests occasionally.

”where have all the flowers gone?”

10 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

The question I was posing was referring to the number of whites killed by cops vs blacks.

I was truly surprised to learn that there were more white people killed by cops.

To hear the media report it - there is a lopsidedness of 10 to 1.

From the stats you posted, in absolute numbers, yes white people were getting shot at roughly double the rate of black people. Black people make up ~13% of the US population. It's not 10-1, but it's sure as fuck lopsided.

3 hours ago, kallend said:

There were peacefully protesting folks in DC who got teargassed so the WRONG person in office could get his photo-op outside a church he doesn't attend holding a book he doesn't read.

I voted Bernie (again)

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Like black people fighting back against a police force murdering them, their families and friends?  Or should they lie down and let the police roll right over them?

Was it good ole Ben Franklin speaking about an ounce of prevention??? Yup, avoidance is the key. It ALL simply could have been avoided. No body wants to break it down to this point.  Right is right, right?  

27 minutes ago, timski said:

Was it good ole Ben Franklin speaking about an ounce of prevention??? Yup, avoidance is the key. It ALL simply could have been avoided. No body wants to break it down to this point.  Right is right, right?  

Easily avoided. Cops should stop murdering black people.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

From the stats you posted, in absolute numbers, yes white people were getting shot at roughly double the rate of black people. Black people make up ~13% of the US population. It's not 10-1, but it's sure as fuck lopsided.

Put in that way, I agree and my perception makes more sense.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, timski said:

Correct. Systemic racism is a deep problem in AmeriKKKa. It would appear people have had enough.

Let's hope the military staged in DC doesn't get activated. The longer they don't arrest the 3 other murderers, the longer this goes, the worse it could get.

2 hours ago, timski said:

Was it good ole Ben Franklin speaking about an ounce of prevention??? Yup, avoidance is the key. It ALL simply could have been avoided.

Absolutely; I can think a half a dozen ways it could have been avoided.  We elected to take . . . . none of them.

Perhaps we will, this time.  And it's sad, but maybe the reason we will decide to take those steps this time is that we don't want more riots.

17 hours ago, airdvr said:

So in that vein I should just let people destroy what I've worked for?  Because I have insurance?  Would you wait until your AAD fires too?

What if I was financially over burdened by C19 and didn't have the funds to pay my premiums?  Still feel the same way?

Put it this way, it could be a very large gamble to say that even if you successfully defended your business - meaning that after shooting someone the crowd didn't fire bomb the place and smoke you out or kill you - you could still be in no better position to conduct business because of the fallout.  What you're describing is exactly what a friend of mine did in Richmond and he hoped that all it would take is popping off a few rounds to get them to move on.

The real world fact is that once these things have started it's more like trying to protect your property from a natural disaster.

16 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Interesting stats. Now for that to mean something, you really should compare that ratio to the ratio between black and white in the population.

Now, when you do that comparison, what do you think it will show?

14 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Put in that way, I agree and my perception makes more sense.

Also consider that as in the case of George Floyd and plenty of other high profile incidents, shooting isn't the only way police kill people.

30 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Interesting stats. Now for that to mean something, you really should compare that ratio to the ratio between black and white in the population.

Now, when you do that comparison, what do you think it will show?

I'm coming in at a side junction of this conversation but I think it's important to remember that the numbers often just show that there are more minorities living in low income areas and those areas are targeted with over policing and more aggressive policing.  The reason is doesn't matter in the defense of any point of view is that it still means minorities find them selves being targeted and treated more harshly.

1 minute ago, DJL said:

I'm coming in at a side junction of this conversation but I think it's important to remember that the numbers often just show that there are more minorities living in low income areas and those areas are targeted with over policing and more aggressive policing.  The reason is doesn't matter in the defense of any point of view is that it still means minorities find them selves being targeted and treated more harshly.

Not disagreeing with you. They tend to be poorer because of the persistent racism being protested against now.

On 6/3/2020 at 1:48 PM, SkyDekker said:

Not disagreeing with you. They tend to be poorer because of the persistent racism being protested against now.

You say that as if Canada doesn't have the same type of problem...

Welcome to Winnipeg: Where Canada’s racism problem is at its worst

They came in the wake of a civic election dominated by race relations after a racist rant by a frontrunner’s wife went viral: “I’m really tired of getting harassed by the drunken native guys” downtown, Gord Steeves’s wife, Lori, wrote on Facebook. “We all donate enough money to keep their sorry asses on welfare, so shut the f–k up and don’t ask me for another handout!” The former city councillor and long-serving, centrist politician didn’t bother apologizing. He lost, but not because of this.

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

You say that as if Canada doesn't have the same type of problem...

Pretty sure I have not claimed Canada doesn't have the same problem. Canada does have a similar problem. We do have less LEO killing unarmed black people.

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Pretty sure I have not claimed Canada doesn't have the same problem. Canada does have a similar problem. We do have less LEO killing unarmed black people.

True.  Your racist inhabitants are doing all the dirty work.