1 1
billvon

How to end this

7 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Did you read the article or are you just knee jerking?

Hi airdvr,

Yes, I did.  Did you understand it?

From the article:  'for perhaps the first time, the brutalization and murder of a 15-year-old was not dismissed in Winnipeg as an “Aboriginal problem.” Ironically, from the fall’s horrific events, a sense of unity has begun to emerge.'

Bolding mine.

Jerry Baumchen

And I'm glad that's happening but I get tired of Dekker pointing his finger at the US as if our problems don't exist in his country as well.

I know we have a problem here...we have for decades.  It doesn't seem to be getting any better and I don't know what to do about it.  I do know that riots don't help the problem.

Just now, airdvr said:

It doesn't seem to be getting any better and I don't know what to do about it.  I do know that riots don't help the problem.

I don't know about that.  Seems to be getting a LOT more attention than Kaepernick's very peaceful, quiet, low key protest that was vilified and then ignored by the likes of you.

10 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I do know that riots don't help the problem.

But it is forcing people to talk about it.  Would those other three cops have been charged if that video hadn't existed, the cops had made up a story and no one had protested - and then rioted - about it?  Would even the original cop have been charged?  Or would we be hearing from right wingers now "well, Floyd shouldn't have fought back as violently as he did - it was his fault!"

(edited)
3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

When was the last time you heard someone tell a joke like that?

Hi airdvr,

I really do not remember.  I would guess about 15 yrs or so.

But, that does not mean that it is not common among some groups in this country.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi airdvr,

But, that does not mean that it is not common among some groups in this country.

Jerry Baumchen

So you heard someone tell a joke like that in 2005?  That's either bullshit or you hung out  with some fucked up individuals.

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

So you heard someone tell a joke like that in 2005?  That's either bullshit or you hung out  with some fucked up individuals.

I heard a joke like that five years ago from someone who tells me jokes like that all the time because "you know I'm not prejudiced."  Those people still absolutely exist.

Bill, that’s your fault because of the people you hang around with. 
Or something like that. 
until people with property understand that others’ lives are more important than their property or status, it’s not changing. And the only way for any individual to change anything is by giving respect to everyone they meet — whether or not they “earned” it. Because  by making it this far, they have. Even if they don’t have more than you do. 
Airdvr, if the original US patriots were justified in the Tea Party, which was over tax money, then maybe minorities in America are justified when it’s lives

Wendy P. 

32 minutes ago, airdvr said:

There is a pretty regular poster here on dz.com who likes to tell those jokes quite a bit. There are even more current and former posters here who consider him a friend.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

True.  Your racist inhabitants are doing all the dirty work.

Not surprised you dig up a 5 year old article on the day it came out one of your brethren executed a black man for jogging, then stood over him and called him a fucking nigger.

Canada has taken some steps in those 5 years, including a federal truth and reconciliation commission. Our history with the indigenous population is troubled to say the least. Racism is alive and well in this country and lots of people are working hard to try and change that.

Living on native land, married to a Metis and bringing up a black step-son I am constantly reminded of the institutionalized racism and my frequent inability to recognize it. It takes hard work and very honest conversation.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

When was the last time you heard someone tell a joke like that?

There was one posted on here in the 'not too distant past. 

I'm going to guess 5 years or so, but it could be several off in either direction. 

Of course, it didn't use the 'n' word, and the poster tried to pass it off as 'just a joke', but it was clearly racist and it was posted. IIRC, it stayed.

4 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'm going to guess 5 years or so, but it could be several off in either direction. 

Of course, it didn't use the 'n' word, and the poster tried to pass it off as 'just a joke', but it was clearly racist and it was posted. IIRC, it stayed.

What a sad bunch we are :)

Funny how this virtual community influences us

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

A joke that specifically used the N word?  I'm sure there have been racist jokes but I don't buy someone telling a joke with that word in it.

4 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi airdvr,

Jerry Baumchen

I've heard it in a few bars the last few years or so.

I'm to the point of wondering if I can I please rescind the oath I took when I joined the US Navy? The one where I swear to uphold, defend, protect??? This IS NOT a country I can defend. My soul won't do it.

The way cops are responding to peaceful protests will guarantee EVERY American citizen will no longer be able to face a cop without the same gut wrenching fear clack people have had since they were dragged here.

Felony battery, by Aaron Torgalski of the Buffalo PD

(edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 5:10 PM, airdvr said:

JC Bill.  The fucking horror!  Tear gas and flash bangs!  maybe when the popo tell you to move out of the way you should.  ya know...just so your eyes won't burn.

NOT WHEN YOU ARE LEGALLY PROTESTING.

Jesus Christ. Does the first amendment mean nothing to you?

I'm starting to think that as an immigrant I'm the only person in this country who's read the constitution. Half the time Trump tweets I'm saying to myself 'you can't do that.... legally. Seriously.' 

You should be fighting to protect these people as strongly as you fight to protect your 2nd amendment rights - You've held the constitution up as an inviolate document before on that issue... Instead, now you're coming up with excuses based on what you IMAGINE these people MIGHT possibly do in the future, all video evidence to the contrary, in order to protect the team you associate with,  you massive fucking hypocrite. 

Edited by yoink
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, yoink said:

I'm starting to think that as an immigrant I'm the only person in this country who's read the constitution. Half the time Trump tweets I'm saying to myself 'you can't do that.... legally. Seriously.' 

You should be fighting to protect these people as strongly as you fight to protect your 2nd amendment rights - You've held the constitution up as an inviolate document before on that issue... Instead, now you're coming up with excuses based on what you IMAGINE these people MIGHT possibly do in the future, all video evidence to the contrary, in order to protect the team you associate with,  you massive fucking hypocrite. 

Wow.

. . . so much wrong with this.

8 hours ago, yoink said:

The general approach seems to be "those" people don't have those same rights.

Last month in Raleigh, NC it was cool for white guys to march in the streets while brandishing military grade weapons.

This week, it's not the right wing white power guys so the police have put out a warning that weapons are not permitted at the demonstrations or near them.

The message is clear.

I'm very curious how those arrested for peaceful protest will do in court. Arrested for exercising their constitutional rights.