1 1
billvon

How to end this

(edited)
2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

The US has a much larger impact on Canada than vice-versa, so they are discussing something that impacts them.

For instance, in the case of the recent Nova Scotia mass murders, the shooter had in his possession a total of 5 weapons. All but one of them are believed to have been acquired by him in the USA and smuggled into Canada. He did not have a firearm acquisition permit. Canadian criminals who desire killing machines are well supplied with an abundant supply courtesy of our well armed neighbours.

Edited by gowlerk

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

For instance, in the case of the recent Nova Scotia mass murders, the shooter had in his possession a total of 5 weapons. All but one of the are believed to have been acquired by him in the USA and smuggled into Canada. He did not have a firearm acquisition permit. Canadian criminals who desire killing machines are well supplied with an abundant supply courtesy of our well armed neighbours.

I love it!

They can't even wholly claim their own mass murders without somehow blaming the US.

<facepalm>

On 6/5/2020 at 7:23 AM, normiss said:

The general approach seems to be "those" people don't have those same rights.

Exactly.  Turtle, a white guy, says he'd approach the police - even if they tell him to stand back - and "end" the murder of Floyd.  He feels he can do so because of his white privilege.  "Well, I am a good guy doing the right thing!  The police can't really do anything to me because of that."  He has rights!

Airdvr tells black people that "maybe when the popo tell you to move out of the way you should.  ya know...just so your eyes won't burn."  They have only the right - to be gassed.

Reminds me of an old song:

This is a public service announcement, with guitar
Know your rights!

Number one 
You have the right not to be killed
Murder is a crime, unless it was done by a policeman or an aristocrat
Oh, know your rights!
 . . .
Number three
You have the right to free speech
As long as You're not dumb enough to actually try it
Know your rights!
 . . .
It has been suggested in some quarters
That this is not enough
Well . . .Get off the streets!

46 minutes ago, billvon said:

Exactly.  Turtle, a white guy, says he'd approach the police - even if they tell him to stand back - and "end" the murder of Floyd.  He feels he can do so because of his white privilege.  "Well, I am a good guy doing the right thing!  The police can't really do anything to me because of that."  He has rights!

Airdvr tells black people that "maybe when the popo tell you to move out of the way you should.  ya know...just so your eyes won't burn."  They have only the right - to be gassed.

Reminds me of an old song:

This is a public service announcement, with guitar
Know your rights!

Number one 
You have the right not to be killed
Murder is a crime, unless it was done by a policeman or an aristocrat
Oh, know your rights!
 . . .
Number three
You have the right to free speech
As long as You're not dumb enough to actually try it
Know your rights!
 . . .
It has been suggested in some quarters
That this is not enough
Well . . .Get off the streets!

You've really gone over the falls, and into the deep end, Bill.

White privilege?  Really?

59 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I love it!

They can't even wholly claim their own mass murders without somehow blaming the US.

<facepalm>

Don't you blame Mexico for your problems? You were a big supporter of building a wall between the two countries as a fix to your problems. Don't you blame MS-13 on El Salvadore, even though the gang started in California? Aren't you blaming the US pandemic response on China? Blaming the last president on Kenya. Trade imbalance on China. Maine's lobster industry on the EU........

All that to say, Canada takes full responsibility for the actions of that Nova Scotian madman. But the post did indicate how the behaviour in the US, how American society impacts our lives. Which was the point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

Don't you blame Mexico for your problems?

>>>No.  I blame our immigration laws and enforcement.

You were a big supporter of building a wall between the two countries as a fix to your problems. Don't you blame MS-13 on El Salvadore, even though the gang started in California?

>>> No. I've never tried to blame anyone for the creation of MS-13

Aren't you blaming the US pandemic response on China?

>>> No.  I blame the pandemic on China, not the response.

Blaming the last president on Kenya. Trade imbalance on China. Maine's lobster industry on the EU........

>>> No.  

All that to say, Canada takes full responsibility for the actions of that Nova Scotian madman. But the post did indicate how the behaviour in the US, how American society impacts our lives. Which was the point.

You're weaseling out of it like you all accuse me of doing.

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

What exactly do you think I am weaseling my way out of?

And since you are a massive Trump supporter (without the balls to just state it), your denials ring hollow. You have shown in your postings here you support him all the way.

35 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

But the post did indicate how the behaviour in the US, how American society impacts our lives.

It's too bad that sometimes posters that I am ignoring show up in quotes. But when it does happen it usually confirms that they are not worth my time to read.

• Like 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I love it!

<facepalm>

Except for the last sentence, the rest of the paragraph was a statement of fact where the weapons came from. The last sentence could be interpreted as a black humour more than an actual direct blaming of the US.

He did not directly say in any way that "the mass murders were BECAUSE of the US".

Do I sound like Turtle yet?

Edited by olofscience

(edited)
27 minutes ago, olofscience said:

The last sentence could be interpreted as a black humour more than an actual direct blaming of the US.

The last sentence blames the US for the much larger than should be supply of killing machines available to criminals in Canada. The mass murder was not an ordinary run of the mill gun crime. It could have been committed with or without the US procured semi-automatic weapons. Canada is not a nation that bans guns, it is a nation with gun control policies that are hard make effective with a large nation of little to no gun control for a neighbour.

I do not blame the US for any specific crime. I do blame the US for what it does, to both Canada and Mexico. Which is flood the black market with illegal weapons.

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

I do not blame the US for any specific crime. I do blame the US for what it does, to both Canada and Mexico. Which is flood the black market with illegal weapons.

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I love it!

<facepalm>

85 shot, 24 fatally, over Chicago’s most violent weekend of 2020

Twenty-four people were killed and at least 61 others were wounded by gun violence in Chicago’s most violent weekend of the year so far, which also saw widespread protests, riots and looting throughout the city in the wake of the Minneapolis police killing of George Floyd.

More than half of the weekend’s victims were shot on Sunday as the city reeled from violent protests Saturday night that led to hundreds of arrests and the implementation of a curfew.

Chicago Police Supt. David Brown said Monday that of the total fatal shootings over the weekend, 17 homicides occurred on Sunday alone. The Cook County medical examiner’s office confirmed 15 for Sunday, with another three at unknown locations.

The weekend’s toll surpasses the tally from the same weekend in 2019, when 52 people were wounded — 8 fatally — in citywide gun violence.

Across medically treated cases, costs average U.S.$154,000 per gunshot survivor

Gun violence costs the US $229 billion annually: Report

I'm sorry Turtle what was your point about Canada, the US and guns?

Edited by Phil1111

15 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

85 shot, 24 fatally, over Chicago’s most violent weekend of 2020

Twenty-four people were killed and at least 61 others were wounded by gun violence in Chicago’s most violent weekend of the year so far, which also saw widespread protests, riots and looting throughout the city in the wake of the Minneapolis police killing of George Floyd.

More than half of the weekend’s victims were shot on Sunday as the city reeled from violent protests Saturday night that led to hundreds of arrests and the implementation of a curfew.

Chicago Police Supt. David Brown said Monday that of the total fatal shootings over the weekend, 17 homicides occurred on Sunday alone. The Cook County medical examiner’s office confirmed 15 for Sunday, with another three at unknown locations.

The weekend’s toll surpasses the tally from the same weekend in 2019, when 52 people were wounded — 8 fatally — in citywide gun violence.

Across medically treated cases, costs average U.S.$154,000 per gunshot survivor

Gun violence costs the US $229 billion annually: Report

I'm sorry Turtle what was your point about Canada, the US and guns?

My point is that Canada has to blame its own people for their own crimes.  We have enough of our own.

As to the rest - It seems we need better leadership, locally, from the top down in Chicago.

It doesn't seem like the leadership in power is doing a very good job, if all this is happening on their watch.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

It doesn't seem like the leadership in power is doing a very good job, if all this is happening on their watch.

The same could be said of the Trump Justice Department, too, wouldn’t you say? 

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P. 

If we were talking about a national event - then we could discuss that new topic.

I would think that Trumps wants and intents were not followed as much as the wants and intents of the local leadership, unless you have a different data set for the gun laws and policing SOP there than I have read in the past.

I would say that all this took place on a local level. 

Trying to blame Trump for it in this conversation is not really warranted.

21 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I love it!

I believe he blamed the lax gun laws on the US for the ease in acquiring the weapon, not his decision regarding what to do with it.  It's telling that it was easier to cross national borders and smuggle it in than to purchase it within his own country.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJL said:

I believe he blamed the lax gun laws on the US for the ease in acquiring the weapon, not his decision regarding what to do with it.  It's telling that it was easier to cross national borders and smuggle it in than to purchase it within his own country.

Which part was easier?

Illegally acquiring the firearm, or getting past the Canadian authorities?

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

But . . . but . . . that's totally different!  Turtle is blaming the Canadian leadership, which is corrupt.  You are blaming US leadership, which means you are deranged and hate Trump.  Two completely different things.

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

My point is that Canada has to blame its own people for their own crimes.  We have enough of our own.

What gave you the impression he wasn't blaming his own people?

It's not an either/or proposition. In real life there is usually more than one factor involved in any given occurence.

27 minutes ago, jakee said:

What gave you the impression he wasn't blaming his own people?

It's not an either/or proposition. In real life there is usually more than one factor involved in any given occurence.

Poor turtle just feels that this website should be a safe space. He should not be subject to reading negative comments about his country from Canadians. It is all very upsetting for him and he is getting a bit triggered.

30 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Poor turtle just feels that this website should be a safe space. He should not be subject to reading negative comments about his country from Canadians. It is all very upsetting for him and he is getting a bit triggered.

HAH - 

No - lol - I just want the Canadians that are so vocal about all the problems here to be as self critical.

You know - Clean up your own back yard before complaining about mine . . .

8 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

No - lol - I just want the Canadians that are so vocal about all the problems here to be as self critical.

We are. That's why our problems tend to be less. We are critical and then improve. Not to perfection, but we grow.

Part of what you are seeing in the US is a direct result of not improving, not getting better, not being critical. It is the result of you thinking you are on top of the world and the best at everything.

Basically the same attitude you are displaying now. Refusal to listen to outside perspective.

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

We are. That's why our problems tend to be less. We are critical and then improve. Not to perfection, but we grow.

Part of what you are seeing in the US is a direct result of not improving, not getting better, not being critical. It is the result of you thinking you are on top of the world and the best at everything.

Basically the same attitude you are displaying now. Refusal to listen to outside perspective.

Your problems are less mostly because of region, and population.