5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

34 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Bias also steers your actions, expectations and behaviors in directions than can be counterproductive or even destructive.

Well, I saw a house in my little city earlier this week. Lots and lots of Trump for Pres signs.

The one that I found most troubling was the biggest. 

The 'tagline' under the names was "Make Liberals Cry Again."

Apparently this guy (presumably) doesn't care about the country, or proper governance or any of that...
Just hurting people he disagrees with.

Sad. And way too common.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

5 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Open wide...

30 Mar, 2020 More than 100 Chinese companies are selling coronavirus testing kits to Europe, but most are not licensed to sell in China

With one company "Now, he said the company is producing 600,000 kits per day and has just become the first Chinese company to gain emergency approval to sell its fluorescent real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests in the US."

Now you can go back to FOX and MAGA.

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

30 Mar, 2020 More than 100 Chinese companies are selling coronavirus testing kits to Europe, but most are not licensed to sell in China

With one company "Now, he said the company is producing 600,000 kits per day and has just become the first Chinese company to gain emergency approval to sell its fluorescent real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests in the US."

Now you can go back to FOX and MAGA.

Not disputing how many test kits they can make.  I want to know how it is physically possible to test 1.1 million people in 1 day.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Explain to me how you would test 1.1 million people per day. . . . I want to know how it is physically possible to test 1.1 million people in 1 day.

There are 200,000 practicing primary care physicians in the US.  If each one did 5 a day (each takes about 5 minutes) then you are at 1 million a day.

Math.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

There are 200,000 practicing primary care physicians in the US.  If each one did 5 a day (each takes about 5 minutes) then you are at 1 million a day.

Math.

Oh pleeze.  Next you'll be confusing us with facts.

(edited)
5 hours ago, billvon said:

Math.

We're talking about Wuhan.  How long do you think it takes to administer a test?  Five minutes?  If you worked at this for  24 hours one person can do 288 tests in one day.  You'd need 3,820 people performing one test every 5 minutes for 24 hours to hit 1,100,000 per day.  There are some fairly large assumptions in those numbers, not the least of which is getting 1.1 million people to stand in line.  Maths.

Edited by airdvr

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

We're talking about Wuhan.  How long do you think it takes to administer a test?  Five minutes?  If you worked at this for  24 hours one person can do 1,440 test in one day.  You'd need 3,820 people performing one test every 5 minutes for 24 hours to hit 1,100,000 per day.  There are some fairly large assumptions in those numbers, not the least of which is getting 1.1 million people to stand in line.  Maths.

They had 20,000 people just tracing contacts, with enforced isolation for those infected. They built a new hospital in 10 days. I don't see that much problem getting people to "stand in line."  I do wonder about whatever is required to get a result for a test. e.g. is some machine required or is it a stand alone like a home pregnancy test.

21 minutes ago, airdvr said:

We're talking about Wuhan.  How long do you think it takes to administer a test?  Five minutes?  If you worked at this for  24 hours one person can do 288 tests in one day.  You'd need 3,820 people performing one test every 5 minutes for 24 hours to hit 1,100,000 per day.  There are some fairly large assumptions in those numbers, not the least of which is getting 1.1 million people to stand in line.  Maths.

The test just consists of taking a nasal swab that takes only a few seconds.

The swabs take MUCH longer than 5 minutes to process (PCR takes several hours) but they can do thousands of swabs at a time.

3 minutes ago, olofscience said:

The test just consists of taking a nasal swab that takes only a few seconds.

The swabs take MUCH longer than 5 minutes to process (PCR takes several hours) but they can do thousands of swabs at a time.

If you choose to believe anything you're being told by China that's your choice.

8 minutes ago, airdvr said:

If you choose to believe anything you're being told by China that's your choice.

See, here's the thing:

Whether it is true or not, doesn't matter.

If it makes Trump look bad in any way - they will heavily lean toward believing it to be true, no matter the source.

They will then hold that belief until it is proven to be untrue.  Even then, they will defend it.  They will say that they got close.  They will say that (whomever) reached the numbers, but the tests were incorrectly taken, not effective, mis-manufactured, ineffective. or whatever.

On the other hand:

If Trump said some shit like Gummy Bears are the cure - It would happen the same exact way.

I don't trust China by 1/4 of what they say.

They are trying to save face in the fallout of all this, so my belief is that they will continue to lie like a rug.

You can't trust them, or their propaganda.

So, they can get behind the China numbers all they want - I hope they are true.

Whats more important is whether or not the tests are accurate and effective.

Otherwise its just a shit load of people with cotton on a stick shoved up in their nasal passages for no good reason.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

f it makes Trump look bad in any way - they will heavily lean toward believing it to be true, no matter the source.

You're reaching. I haven't mentioned Trump. The articles about the 11 million tests don't mention Trump.

This doesn't make Trump look bad. Trump makes Trump look bad.

I was just trying to give airdvr some information how tests work. If China started saying the sky was blue, he'd say it was green just because they said it.

20 minutes ago, olofscience said:

If China started saying the sky was blue, he'd say it was green just because they said it.

If China says it, I would hope you would verify it before you fully believed it.  Or, at least have as much uncertainty in what they say, as you do when the current POTUS speaks.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

If China says it, I would hope you would verify it before you fully believed it.  Or, at least have as much uncertainty in what they say, as you do when the current POTUS speaks.

There are definitely concerns about China's truthfulness, and I see the announcement of 11 million tests as declaration of their ambition rather than actual ability.

When Elon Musk announced his ambition to build a colony on Mars, people criticised him, laugh at him, for being too ambitious, but you don't say "you LIAR" as ambitions are neither truth nor lies, just intention.

That's why I described how PCR tests work - you can look at the logistics of it, you can look at the cost of it, but saying it's not possible because they're liars isn't really useful.

When China announces they've "finished" testing all 11 million Wuhan residents, then you can start the name-calling. Not before.

Edited by olofscience

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I realize that MAGA FOX viewers start panting like Pavlov's dog as the TV warms up and starts to paint the FOX programing. But you really need to read more.

How to Make At-Home Coronavirus Testing Work

FDA authorizes first home test kit

43 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

See, here's the thing:

Whether it is true or not, doesn't matter.

If it makes Trump look bad in any way - they will heavily lean toward believing it to be true, no matter the source.

Trump and truthfulness in the same post - oh my!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/

In 1,170 days, President Trump has made 18,000 false or misleading claims, making China look great by comparison.

16 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

As has been amply demonstrated already, there is nothing unbelievable about a country with China's resources performing over 1 million tests per day.  They have the manufacturing capability, and they have the person-power.

This aired yesterday. It is an interesting clinical look at the virus, and brings in some info I had not previously read. e.g. an effective antibody test needs to consider if the level of antibodies are high enough to prevent re-infection, (not just if they are present). It also explains how China's tracking system works.

PBS Nova: Decoding COVID-19

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/decoding-covid-19/