5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

2 hours ago, kallend said:

TB testing was still required, so it would have made no difference.

As for regrets, the US Navy, US Air Force, Los Alamos, Lawrence Livermore and Argonne National Labs, and NASA all seem to have been quite happy that I came.

Impressive resume but you left off your gig on Saturday Night Live.

10 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Impressive resume but you left off your gig on Saturday Night Live.

If you Google John you can find lots of flattering stuff about his work as a professor and as a materials scientist. But nothing about SNL.

19 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

If you Google John you can find lots of flattering stuff about his work as a professor and as a materials scientist. But nothing about SNL.

Live! From Chicago, it's Saturday Night Live, tonight with John Kallend!

Seriously, is TV reception that bad in Winnipeg? The man's an icon.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, gowlerk said:

There is likely going to be a crisis in the DZ world. I can see a full season of limited or even no tandem revenue ahead. DZs with large outstanding bank loans are going to be in trouble. Even if a tandem shutdown doesn't happen large numbers of TIs are likely to decide that it's not worth the risk.

That is a good point, nearly half of our business is from international students.

5 hours ago, Coreece said:

Well, I hoped you'd know that I was just messing around.  I can appreciate that and respect your posting style.  Never have I met anyone that could be so annoying with so few words.;)

You must have missed the rushmc epidemic of 2019. Those were tough times.

(edited)

My wife asked for some stuff for last Christmas so she could start pickling things we grow this year. Perfect timing for the apocalypse!

Unfortunately she's started with Sauerkraut and Kimchee, and now my garage workshop smells like a combination of old trainers and farts. This might be a sacrifice too far... :(

Edited by yoink

18 minutes ago, yoink said:

My wife asked for some stuff for last Christmas so she could start pickling things we grow this year. Perfect timing for the apocalypse!

Unfortunately she's started with Sauerkraut and Kimchee, and now my garage workshop smells like a combination of old trainers and farts. This might be a sacrifice too far... :(

Some day's the sky's are clear and blue, some day's you can't see the sun for all of the Black Swans. It's all good, you are right: you're fucked.

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Not really.  Its more like telling your flooring guy that there is an unlimited amount of rooms he can install tile in, and most of them are all the same.  So, he stream lines his prep, and organizes his staff so they can maximize efficiency.  Henry ford did a similar thing a long time ago.

Yep.  That would be great.  

But the people who this is going to kill aren't going to die of the virus.  They are going to die of secondary infections and complications.  So your guy might plan for all the same rooms because they all look like the same size - but when he pulls up the carpet some will have plywood subfloors, some have concrete, and some, for some bizarre reason, will be dirt.  He's gonna have to do a lot more work than he expected, and it's always going to be something different and often time consuming.

There are no treatments for this.  No antivirals.  No vaccines.   There aren't even tests available 90% of the time.  So doctors can't "lay tile" - they literally have nothing to do most of the time.  The medical care that will really be needed is the care for pneumonia, and myocarditis, and emphysema, and diabetes.  And those aren't much alike.

16 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

The issue is that no one wants to admit that a doctor that gets paid per patient will be more likely see more patients and streamline their practice to do so.  It's one of those human nature things.

Without incentives it is hard to expect more.

Well then, by the same logic a doctor or hospital that needs to spend their own profits stockpiling beds, equipment and drugs that will only be needed once in a blue moon isn't going to do so. Human nature and all. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, yoink said:

Okra work well; I can assure you that pickled black radishes are awful. And I like pretty much everything, except for pickled black radishes.

Wendy P.

9 hours ago, billvon said:

There are no treatments for this.  No antivirals.  No vaccines.   There aren't even tests available 90% of the time.  So doctors can't "lay tile" - they literally have nothing to do most of the time.  The medical care that will really be needed is the care for pneumonia, and myocarditis, and emphysema, and diabetes.  And those aren't much alike.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/doctors-push-treatment-coronavirus-blood-recovered-patients-n1158476

19 hours ago, headoverheels said:

When you look at the province/state breakdown, it is missing California, Florida, Colorado, Louisiana and others in the tally.

I double-checked it again this morning and this was still true. I sent Dr. Gardner (Team Leader) an email of inquiry. They're pretty busy, so it may take a while. 

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

That might help but:

1) Before we can even consider that we have to essentially test everyone who is sick.  And it will be months before we have that capability.  (Likely longer, since some politicians want less testing so the "numbers are better.")

2) There's a not-insignificant risk of passing on other diseases through plasma transfusions.

3) Plasma donation is fairly resource and time intensive, and so will likely be able to benefit a small number of people.

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic

Any of this sound familiar?  This was the last time this type of thing got blown out of proportion.

Pence from a few days ago:

===================

WASHINGTON — Vice President Mike Pence said Thursday that there has been "irresponsible rhetoric" from people who have downplayed the seriousness of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak.

====================

3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic

Any of this sound familiar?  This was the last time this type of thing got blown out of proportion.

False equivalence. 

For once I agree with Pence on this, that people downplaying the seriousness are IRRESPONSIBLE.  Look in the mirror to see one.

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

Pence from a few days ago:

===================

WASHINGTON — Vice President Mike Pence said Thursday that there has been "irresponsible rhetoric" from people who have downplayed the seriousness of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak.

====================

Funny how you never include the entire quote.

“There's been some irresponsible rhetoric, but the American people should know President Trump has no higher priority than the health and safety and well being of the people of this country,” Pence said in response but it was not clear who he was referring to.

3 minutes ago, kallend said:

False equivalence. 

For once I agree with Pence on this, that people downplaying the seriousness are IRRESPONSIBLE.  Look in the mirror to see one.

Do you think the Swine Flu Pandemic was blown out of proportion?

6 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Funny how you never include the entire quote.

“There's been some irresponsible rhetoric, but the American people should know President Trump has no higher priority than the health and safety and well being of the people of this country,” Pence said in response but it was not clear who he was referring to.

And funny how you left out the part that applies to you.  Even funnier that you had to edit out the text between the two quotes you posted.

"Savannah Guthrie asked what message Pence sends to people who aren't afraid of the coronavirus and think it's just politics and hype, quoting from President Donald Trump on Monday that the "fake news media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything to inflame the coronavirus situation."

That fits you to a tee.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

And funny how you left out the part that applies to you.  Even funnier that you had to edit out the text between the two quotes you posted.

"Savannah Guthrie asked what message Pence sends to people who aren't afraid of the coronavirus and think it's just politics and hype, quoting from President Donald Trump on Monday that the "fake news media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything to inflame the coronavirus situation."

That fits you to a tee.

I don't draw a distinct line between the two.  It's never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems.  I don't think the Dems are trying to inflame the situation, but I doubt they are trying to douse the flames either.

Bottom line for me is I've seen this before...it's 2009 all over again.

Spain is set to announce a national lockdown. Deaths doubled overnight in the UK. That would be the country where no flight restrictions to US travel exist.

Charles Darwin developed a theory of natural evolution. FOX and others have led the groundwork for that to play out in the next couple months. Intelligent, responsible planners will do their best to protect those around them. To ignore the outstretched handshake, instead staying home and isolating possible self exposures.