5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

The Atlantic, 3/13:

Trump is in the process of discovering that he can’t spin or tweet his way out of a pandemic. There is no one who can do to the coronavirus what Attorney General William Barr did to the Mueller report: lie about it and get away with it.

The president’s misinformation and mendacity about the coronavirus are head-snapping. He claimed that it was contained in America when it was actually spreading. He claimed that we had “shut it down” when we had not. He claimed that testing was available when it wasn’t. He claimed that the coronavirus will one day disappear “like a miracle”; it won’t. He claimed that a vaccine would be available in months; Fauci says it will not be available for a year or more.

Trump falsely blamed the Obama administration for impeding coronavirus testing. He stated that the coronavirus first hit the United States later than it actually did. (He said that it was three weeks prior to the point at which he spoke; the actual figure was twice that.) The president claimed that the number of cases in Italy was getting “much better” when it was getting much worse. And in one of the more stunning statements an American president has ever made, Trump admitted that his preference was to keep a cruise ship off the California coast rather than allowing it to dock, because he wanted to keep the number of reported cases of the coronavirus artificially low.

“I like the numbers,” Trump said. “I would rather have the numbers stay where they are. But if they want to take them off, they’ll take them off. But if that happens, all of a sudden your 240 [cases] is obviously going to be a much higher number, and probably the 11 [deaths] will be a higher number too.” (Cooler heads prevailed, and over the president’s objections, the Grand Princess was allowed to dock at the Port of Oakland.)

On and on it goes.  

To make matters worse, the president delivered an Oval Office address that was meant to reassure the nation and the markets but instead shook both. The president’s delivery was awkward and stilted; worse, at several points, the president, who decided to ad-lib the teleprompter speech, misstated his administration’s own policies, which the administration had to correct. Stock futures plunged even as the president was still delivering his speech. In his address, the president called for Americans to “unify together as one nation and one family,” despite having referred to Washington Governor Jay Inslee as a “snake” days before the speech and attacking Democrats the morning after it. As The Washington Post’s Dan Balz put it, “Almost everything that could have gone wrong with the speech did go wrong.”

etc.

1 minute ago, kallend said:

The Atlantic, 3/13:

Trump is in the process of discovering that he can’t spin or tweet his way out of a pandemic. There is no one who can do to the coronavirus what Attorney General William Barr did to the Mueller report: lie about it and get away with it.

The president’s misinformation and mendacity about the coronavirus are head-snapping. He claimed that it was contained in America when it was actually spreading. He claimed that we had “shut it down” when we had not. He claimed that testing was available when it wasn’t. He claimed that the coronavirus will one day disappear “like a miracle”; it won’t. He claimed that a vaccine would be available in months; Fauci says it will not be available for a year or more.

Trump falsely blamed the Obama administration for impeding coronavirus testing. He stated that the coronavirus first hit the United States later than it actually did. (He said that it was three weeks prior to the point at which he spoke; the actual figure was twice that.) The president claimed that the number of cases in Italy was getting “much better” when it was getting much worse. And in one of the more stunning statements an American president has ever made, Trump admitted that his preference was to keep a cruise ship off the California coast rather than allowing it to dock, because he wanted to keep the number of reported cases of the coronavirus artificially low.

“I like the numbers,” Trump said. “I would rather have the numbers stay where they are. But if they want to take them off, they’ll take them off. But if that happens, all of a sudden your 240 [cases] is obviously going to be a much higher number, and probably the 11 [deaths] will be a higher number too.” (Cooler heads prevailed, and over the president’s objections, the Grand Princess was allowed to dock at the Port of Oakland.)

On and on it goes.  

To make matters worse, the president delivered an Oval Office address that was meant to reassure the nation and the markets but instead shook both. The president’s delivery was awkward and stilted; worse, at several points, the president, who decided to ad-lib the teleprompter speech, misstated his administration’s own policies, which the administration had to correct. Stock futures plunged even as the president was still delivering his speech. In his address, the president called for Americans to “unify together as one nation and one family,” despite having referred to Washington Governor Jay Inslee as a “snake” days before the speech and attacking Democrats the morning after it. As The Washington Post’s Dan Balz put it, “Almost everything that could have gone wrong with the speech did go wrong.”

etc.

So - other than Trump bashing, what's your point?

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

The issue is that no one wants to admit that a doctor that gets paid per patient will be more likely see more patients and streamline their practice to do so.  It's one of those human nature things.

Without incentives it is hard to expect more.

Bullshit.  Are you really trying to apply one brand to the entire world of healthcare?

(edited)
3 minutes ago, kallend said:

A pathological liar is not the right person to deal with a crisis.

I'm surprised that you haven't figured this out yet.

Who says I haven't?

Hell, even Trump, himself must agree.  He put Pence in charge of it.

I think you all have an "all or nothing" approach to political leanings.

Just because I don't condemn every action, and ask questions about what was posed by the Trump Haters, doesn't mean I'm on his side.

Edited by turtlespeed

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:

Yep.  I'm branding humans in general.

That's equally as inaccurate.  I know doctors who are game for the Wham Bam approach to medicine and if you want lasik I can point you do a guy who does a great job and does as many procedures in a day as you can possibly do.  I know way more doctors who want nothing to do with that approach and very specifically limit the number of patients they're willing to see in a day.

To say that in the midst of a global human crisis that doctors and humans are interested only in the bang for the buck is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

. . .and we've been regretting it ever since.

But seriously, would it have hurt to wait until 4/13/1977?

TB testing was still required, so it would have made no difference.

As for regrets, the US Navy, US Air Force, Los Alamos, Lawrence Livermore and Argonne National Labs, and NASA all seem to have been quite happy that I came.

2 minutes ago, kallend said:
8 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

So - other than Trump bashing, what's your point?

A pathological liar is not the right person to deal with a crisis.

And your lies about his lies and using this crisis as a political campaign isn't helping.

2 minutes ago, kallend said:

As for regrets, the US Navy, US Air Force, Los Alamos, Lawrence Livermore and Argonne National Labs, and NASA all seem to have been quite happy that I came.

Well, I hoped you'd know that I was just messing around.  I can appreciate that and respect your posting style.  Never have I met anyone that could be so annoying with so few words.;)

11 minutes ago, kallend said:

the US Navy, US Air Force, Los Alamos, Lawrence Livermore and Argonne National Labs, and NASA all seem to have been quite happy that I came.

Begging the question - How happy were they when you left?  ]:)

I'm on a roll today. ;) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Coreece said:

And your lies about his lies and using this crisis as a political campaign isn't helping.

I agree with you on the point that people need to be cooperative with those we're getting our information from but THEY DO NEED TO GET IT RIGHT.  Trump said various things in his Oval Office briefing that were entirely incorrect and caused people to panic.  One was a travel shutdown that had people scrambling to get on flights immediately to get back to the US (This was only partially true as it didn't pertain to US citizens and wasn't going to happen immediately), the other was that the ban would "apply to a tremendous amount of trade and cargo" to Europe and caused stock futures to tumble (This was entirely untrue but Trump's only clarification was via a Tweet).

(edited)
5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

In all fairness John, that is funny.

John needs a gif of himself flipping the bird as he drives of in his Chitty chitty bang bang car.

Edited by DJL
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DJL said:

One was a travel shutdown that had people scrambling to get on flights immediately to get back to the US (This was only partially true as it didn't pertain to US citizens and wasn't going to happen immediately)

Well he did say that citizens would be exempt and that it would go into effect today, but I could see how there could've been confusion about whether or not permanent residents were included in that exemption.