3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

25 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

For a whole month? For an important (USA) corner of Earth. 

Wow! that settles everything then, now doesn't it? Deniers, deadenders, same thing.

Snowbirds are STILL coming south too.

2 hours ago, yobnoc said:
5 hours ago, Rick said:

We find this from time to time when doing research on sign codes in different municipalities. Usually it is a city/county/town with a architectural review board or historic preservation committee some such.   

a side note here-a quick google search of the code told me what suburb. I actually graduated from Lakeshore High on 13 mile. We moved there when we bailed out of Detroit 

I live at 9 and Harper right behind South Lake.  Trying to bail out of here within the next year to find warmer climate.  Hopefully Charleston. 

I know it's your own personal business, and I don't mean to pry,  but why build a garage then?  Seems like you'd be taking a pretty sizable loss.

Either way, good luck.

1 minute ago, Coreece said:

I know it's your own personal business, and I don't mean to pry,  but why build a garage then?  Seems like you'd be taking a pretty sizable loss.

Either way, good luck.

Yeah, the project is only tentatively scheduled for next year.  If I end up with a transfer, obviously that project goes in the toilet. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

On second thought, 

"During April, the average contiguous U.S. temperature was 48.9°F, 2.2°F below the 20th century average, making it the 13th coldest April on record and the coldest since 1997. Record and near-record cold temperatures stretched from the Northern Plains to the Gulf Coast and Northeast"

(from NOAA)

When only 50% of US citizens have a passport, it's not surprising that weather in the USA is often  confused with global climate.

Edited by kallend

(edited)

As I have already shown, global temperatures are dropping as well.

BTW I do have a passport, lived in Europe for more than five years and have visited 17 countries and counting.  I am hardly some parochial hayseed.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)

When I picked the last twenty years, I was accused of cherry picking.  

Remember what this thread is about, the GND and the claim that we are currently in a climate crisis.  

If am refuting the notion that we are CURRENTLY in a climate crises, it only makes sense to use current data.

Edited by brenthutch

11 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If am refuting the notion that we are CURRENTLY in a climate crises, it only makes sense to use current data.

No, not really. Try using current data to establish if you are in a recession for instance. Or current data to establish if you are heading for a recession/economic crisis.

Current indicator are not necessarily indicative of the path you are on. Lots of incident investigations to support that.

The last 3 or 5 years are relatively immaterial time frames in a global climate debate. 

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

As I have already shown, global temperatures are dropping as well.

"There's only one problem with global warming - It ended in 1998!  No, 2005!  Wait, 2010!  2014!  2015!  OK, this time I am REALLY REALLY sure - 2016!"

At some point people stop believing you.

(edited)

The facts stand for themselves:

no change in the rate of sea level rise 

record food production

no increase in the number, duration or intensity of hurricanes, floods, droughts, tornadoes or wildfires 

A literal greening of the planet (the irony is not lost on me)

and we still have polar bears and summer arctic sea ice

Please show me where I am missing something, or you can respond with dismissive name calling and insults.

Edited by brenthutch

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Yes, they do.

CO2 is rising due to our emissions.  The upper atmosphere is cooling and the lower atmosphere is warming, per predictions.  The average surface temperature is rising, again per predictions, closely matching the IPCC's models.

Can't get away from those facts no matter how much you spin.

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Yes.

April reached a new record Arctic low sea ice extent. Sea ice loss was rapid in the beginning of the month because of declines in the Sea of Okhotsk. The rate of ice loss slowed after early April, due in part to gains in extent in the Bering and Barents Seas. However, daily ice extent remained at record low levels throughout the month.

N_iqr_timeseries.png

(edited)

I apologize, I should have realized that my inclusion of sea ice would have caused confusion.  Let us just focus on what actually impacts humanity.  Let us try again.

"no change in the rate of sea level rise 

record food production

no increase in the number, duration or intensity of hurricanes, floods, droughts, tornadoes or wildfires 

A literal greening of the planet."

I hope we can all agree that global warming and a loss of Arctic sea ice is, in and of itself, is not necessarily a bad thing.  It is the follow on effects that count.  I am still waiting for you guys to explain how a fraction of a degree of warming, with no corresponding negative effects, necessitates a rebooting of the global economy.

Just kidding, that was a rhetorical statement.  I don't expect you guys to be able to answer.

Edited by brenthutch

12 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I apologize, I should have realized that my inclusion of sea ice would have caused confusion.  Let us just focus on what actually impacts humanity.  Let us try again.

And just like that, the goalposts are moved again.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

And just like that, the goalposts are moved again.

With what, 4 threads on global warming?

Maybe he's not sure which thread and strawman he's supporting.

I wish we had a DB Cooper rule in SC.