Phil1111

Brett Kavanaugh, how to get a SC Nomination

kallend

And, don't forget Ted Kennedy killed Mary Jo Kopechne and became the "Lion of the Senate."

Is "Two wrongs make a right" in your copy of the Bible?

Two wrongs do not make a right but three will.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Huh? I don't have your deep understanding and knowledge. What chapter and verse are you getting that from?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

billvon

>So now we allow hearsay evidence?

For a legal trial? No.

To see if someone's good for a job? Absolutely.

Let's say you want to hire a new mechanic for your car repair joint. Joe Smith comes by and wants a job. He has some decent experience from what he says. He talks a good game.

So you ask around the town.

"Joe? That creep stole six hundred dollars from me and disappeared!"

"Yeah, he worked here for a while. None of the other mechanics could stand him; kept getting into fights."

"One of my work buddies shared an apartment with him. He was out really late a lot, and did a lot of drugs."

All hearsay. Would you hire him?

Those are all examples that are separate and independent whereas the incident and rumors have no specific source. Rumors that go around a high school have almost no credibility, who was the person who began this rumor, was it her, was it a friend she told? There's a sort of evidence trail that's important in validating claims.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Maybe start with her psychologist that she first told years ago?
It's apparently documented.
Classmates that discussed it?

Sad to again see a woman molested, only to be told by men how to handle it, or to not handle it.

I think some folks should put a little effort into how sexual assaults impact the victims, then compare that effect on the current situation.

Unless you consider this an intentional political attack on a possible Supreme Court appointee. That she somehow foresaw YEARS ago when she first mentioned the assault.

>Those are all examples that are separate and independent whereas the incident and
>rumors have no specific source.

Source of accusation: Christine Blasey Ford

She, in turn, has been accused of fabricating it just to stop his nomination. Does she have any proof that she discussed it before this?

Russel Ford. Christine talked about it with him in 2012.

Cristina King Miranda. Christine talked about it with her right after it happened.

Therapist of Christine and Russel (as yet unnamed.) Christine talked about it with him in 2012.

There was one witness - Mark Judge. He has denied it - but refused to testify. And his past writings indicate a fondness for violence towards women and drunken blackouts.

Not that any of this matters. The person in charge of investigating this (Chief Counsel for Nominations in the Senate, Mike Davis) has tweeted "Unfazed and determined. We will confirm Judge Kavanaugh." No matter what the facts are.

>Sad to again see a woman molested, only to be told by men how to handle it, or to
>not handle it.

And told she would be killed for coming forward.

Plus which we have these recent gems:

Dr. Blasey’s students left negative reviews on her RateMyProfessors.com profile, calling her “unprofessional” and citing her “dark” personality. (false)

Judge Kavanaugh’s mother once ruled against Dr. Blasey’s parents in a foreclosure case. (false)

Dr. Blasey made similar sexual assault accusations against Justice Neil Gorsuch during his nomination process. (false)

Dr. Blasey is a major Democratic donor with a long history of left-wing activism. (false)

Not surprising, sadly. With the pussy grabber in charge, we have a political culture of attacking any woman who doesn't "let them get away with it."

tri160

You can't have it both ways. Either she should back up her statements or they should not even be considered. That's the same way any witness would be treated in a legal matter and this is a legal matter. (even if it also a political matter.)

She is more than willing to, hence why she would like it investigated.

Appearing in front of committee is different. She has accused a man of assaulting her. You say this is meaningless unless she is willing to stand in front of a committee primarily made up of the accused's male friends and explain herself.

What should happen is that Trump should order the FBI to update the background check. The process should then continue based on the updated background check. With Anita Hill that took 3 days.

In conjunction local law enforcement should investigate on the criminal side. Any vote doesn't have to wait for this possibly lengthier process, since if he is charged (and possibly convicted) he can always be impeached.

billvon

>Those are all examples that are separate and independent whereas the incident and
>rumors have no specific source.

Source of accusation: Christine Blasey Ford

She, in turn, has been accused of fabricating it just to stop his nomination. Does she have any proof that she discussed it before this?

Russel Ford. Christine talked about it with him in 2012.

Cristina King Miranda. Christine talked about it with her right after it happened.

Therapist of Christine and Russel (as yet unnamed.) Christine talked about it with him in 2012.

There was one witness - Mark Judge. He has denied it - but refused to testify. And his past writings indicate a fondness for violence towards women and drunken blackouts.

Not that any of this matters. The person in charge of investigating this (Chief Counsel for Nominations in the Senate, Mike Davis) has tweeted "Unfazed and determined. We will confirm Judge Kavanaugh." No matter what the facts are.

Meant to say "one specific source". As in that there's no other corroboration to the story of the one person who walked out of the room. All other stories and rumors come from that one person and her interpretation of what happened which is that she was afraid that he was going to rape her or inadvertently kill her. That reaction is very real and has affected her life but he did not rape her, he physically assaulted her. We don't know what he was going to do because the other person intervened. From what she says he pinned her down, he put his hand over her mouth and he was pulling at her clothing.

Is it possible that her assessment of what happened and what was going to happen was incorrect?

Is that enough for him to be disqualified as a Judge on the Supreme Court?

Is is fair to base a decision as to whether he is qualified on her assessment?

I'm bringing up a terrible aspect of situations like this that you still have to give all parties the benefit of the doubt. I don't agree with his politics and would rather have someone else in this position but even she did not want this to go public. I'm fairly certain that Feinstein leaked it to see if there were any other women out there, so far there are not. If there are then that will corroborate this as not being an isolated incident.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

>Is it possible that her assessment of what happened and what was going to happen
>was incorrect?

Of course. He might have tried to pull her clothes off just to scare her, even though he had no intention of raping her, for example.

It is also quite likely that he was drunk enough to not even remember what happened. In which case, his claims that "it never happened" are still false - but understandable.

>Is that enough for him to be disqualified as a Judge on the Supreme Court?

If it's true? Perhaps. If it isn't? No. So discovering if it's true (at least to the best of anyone's ability) is probably worthwhile.

SkyDekker

Appearing in front of committee is different. She has accused a man of assaulting her. You say this is meaningless unless she is willing to stand in front of a committee primarily made up of the accused's male friends and explain herself.

What should happen is that Trump should order the FBI to update the background check. The process should then continue based on the updated background check. With Anita Hill that took 3 days.

In conjunction local law enforcement should investigate on the criminal side. Any vote doesn't have to wait for this possibly lengthier process, since if he is charged (and possibly convicted) he can always be impeached.

I believe the statute of limitations for the alleged crime has probably expired. I may be wrong sol does not apply to all crimes.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

I believe the statute of limitations for the alleged crime has probably expired. I may be wrong sol does not apply to all crimes.

I believe that for this state it would depend on exactly what the crime was. Again, this would flow out of an investigation.

She isn't even asking for a criminal investigation, nor has she claimed rape. She is asking for the FBI to investigate, similar to what happened when Anita Hill made her allegations.

Sen. Hatch who now claims the FBI doesn't have jurisdiction, in those days praised the process and said the FBI did exactly what they were supposed to do.

I think it is beyond clear that the GOP has absolutely no interest in any actual investigation, but simply want to ram this confirmation through. That alone should be enough reason that nobody really should support this nomination.

I know there is a lot of concern around fake news these days. There are lots of accusations about how the media lies to support the liberals etc. etc.

So, let's look at an example of the right doing good journalism:

"I want to share some things with you that may be fake news, but if they’re not fake, I want to be on record as having had them for you,"

That is Rush Limbaugh providing disparaging "information", probably better termed as propaganda, about Dr. Ford.

gowlerk

Huh? I don't have your deep understanding and knowledge. What chapter and verse are you getting that from?

The National Lampoon Version of Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof. Avoid quiet and placid people, unless you are in need of sleep. Rotate your tires. Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself, and heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys. Know what to kiss, and when. Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do. Whenever possible, put people on hold. Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment, and despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Remember the Pueblo. Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mutilate. Know yourself; if you need help, call the FBI. Exercise caution in your daily affairs, especially with those persons closest to you—that lemon on your left, for instance. Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet. Fall not in love therefore; it will stick to your face. Gracefully surrender the things of youth—birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan—and let not the sands of time get in your lunch. Hire people with hooks. For a good time, call 606-4311… ask for Candy. Take heart amid the deepening gloom that your dog is finally getting enough cheese; and reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot, it could only be worse in Milwaukee.

You are a fluke of the universe; you have no right to be here, and whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back. Therefore, make peace with your God, whatever you may perceive Him to be: hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin. With all its hopes, dreams, promises and urban renewal, the world continues to deteriorate.

Give up.

Emphasis mine
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

kallend

***>You can't have it both ways. Either she should back up her statements or
>they should not even be considered.

You didn't answer my question. Would you hire Joe Smith, who talked a good game, but had terrible references?

But what if he had a good reference like "Judge Kavanaugh is one of the finest people that I've ever known" from the same reliable source that gave these these :

Trump on Cohen the Felon: "a fine person with a wonderful family”
Trump on Manafort the Felon: “a very good man”
Trump on Flynn the Felon: “General Flynn is a wonderful man”

Kavanaugh now has another impeccable character reference:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/20/brett-kavanaugh-wins-roy-moore-endorsement-not-that-he-asked-it/?utm_term=.a8f2df517224

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

From a Senate Judiciary tweet:

"Staff contacted third person allegedly at party described by Dr. Ford and obtained a statement under penalty of felony."

This is the party that didn't happen, according to Kavanaugh.

So:

"I didn't do it, there was no party"
"OK there was a party but I still didn't do it"

Can't wait to see the next "revision."

tri160

So now we allow hearsay evidence? From NBC news:

She later posted on Facebook: "To all media, I will not be doing anymore interviews. No more circus for me. To clarify my post: I do not have first hand knowledge of the incident that Dr. Christine Blasey Ford mentions, and I stand by my support for Christine. That's it. I don't have more to say on the subject. Please don't contact me further."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/accuser-s-schoolmate-says-she-recalls-hearing-alleged-kavanaugh-incident-n911111

First off, make you links 'clicky'. It's not done automatically on here.

Second off, her testimony about what Blasey said isn't hearsay.

If they were trying to establish whether or not the assault actually happened, then yes it would be.

But for trying to establish that Blasey didn't just make the story up last week (or last year or whatever), then for someone to testify:

"Yes, I heard her say she was assaulted" is perfectly admissible.

It establishes that people heard Blasey make the claim immediately (or shortly) after it was alleged to have happened.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

'No accident' Brett Kavanaugh's female law clerks 'looked like models', Yale professor told students
Guardian learns Amy Chua said she would advise students on their physical looks to help win post in Kavanaugh’s chambers
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/20/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-yale-amy-chua

Sounds like a well vetted SC nominee for the serial sexual predator president, trump.

Conservatives pushing Kavanaugh’s family-man image
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/10/brett-m-kavanaugh-708499

Republicans better get this nomination rammed through, drip...drip...drip.

Ronan Farrow strikes again:

Senate Democrats Investigate a New Allegation of Sexual Misconduct, from Brett Kavanaugh’s College Years
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/senate-democrats-investigate-a-new-allegation-of-sexual-misconduct-from-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaughs-college-years-deborah-ramirez
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

From a report on this:

================
. . .Deborah Ramirez, 53, attended Yale with Kavanaugh and said she remembers Kavanaugh exposing himself to her at a dormitory party.

Kavanaugh said in a statement, "This alleged event from 35 years ago did not happen. The people who knew me then know that this did not happen, and have said so. This is a smear, plain and simple."
================

I imagine the list of things that "didn't happen" will grow and change with time. We've already seen "the party never happened" change to "other witnesses at the party say the event never happened" - and we even had a GOP operative claim "OK it happened but it wasn't Kavanaugh, it was this other guy."

I can hardly wait to see how the story changes next week.

>Brett Kavanaugh and pals accused of gang rapes in high school, says lawyer Michael Avenatti

While I would consider believing a victim who testified herself to such an assault, I trust Avenatti about as much as I trust Sean Hannity. He's an entertainer, not a reliable spokesperson.