Phil1111

Brett Kavanaugh, how to get a SC Nomination

billvon

From a 2015 speech by Kavanaugh: "But fortunately, we had a good saying that we've held firm to to this day ... which is: What happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep. I think that's been a good thing for all of us."

Looks like - not always.

Video: https://youtu.be/TtZFBO75omU
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

RonD1120

I am trying to reconcile the two different responses:

1. Just a young teenager being a teenager.
2. It didn't happen.

Don't forget:

3. Clinton did it first.

And, don't forget Ted Kennedy killed Mary Jo Kopechne and became the "Lion of the Senate."

Awesome, Bill will be so proud of you. Gone all the way from "Obama did it first" to "Kennedy did it first". Well done Ron.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

SkyDekker

The youth these days really need to be more respectful.

Oh that assault really doesn't count, he was just a child.

I saw a good quote the other day something along the lines of that the lesson 17 year old boys need to take from this is that your actions as a 17 year old boy do have an impact on yourself and others.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

More confirmation.

From the UK Daily Mail:

===============
Cristina King Miranda, who attended Holton Arms High School with Christine Blasey Ford, is claiming - in a now-deleted tweet - that the alleged sexual assault committed by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh 'was spoken about for days afterwards in school.'

Miranda was tweeting a response to actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus regarding the letter signed by alumnae of the Holton Arms school in support of Ford when she made the claim.

'I graduated from Holton Arms and knew both Brett Kavanaugh and Mark Judge. Christine Blasey Ford was a year or so behind me, I remember her. I signed this letter. The incident was spoken about for days afterwards in school. Kavanaugh should stop lying, own up to it and apologize,' she wrote on Tuesday morning.
===============

Ted Kennedy killed...

OOH! OOH! I can play too! Laura Bush killed someone too, and she became the First Lady!

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So now we allow hearsay evidence? From NBC news:

She later posted on Facebook: "To all media, I will not be doing anymore interviews. No more circus for me. To clarify my post: I do not have first hand knowledge of the incident that Dr. Christine Blasey Ford mentions, and I stand by my support for Christine. That's it. I don't have more to say on the subject. Please don't contact me further."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/accuser-s-schoolmate-says-she-recalls-hearing-alleged-kavanaugh-incident-n911111

wmw999

Ted Kennedy killed...

OOH! OOH! I can play too! Laura Bush killed someone too, and she became the First Lady!

Wendy P.

First I've heard of this story: Laura with Larry King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZKoJQ3IZOo
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

tri160

Explain why her uncorroborated statement in which she admits having "no personal knowledge" should carry any weight. And since she is not willing to say anything else on the subject her statement is absolutely worthless.

Any weight with whom? None with you obviously. None in court obviously. But in politics each voter will decide how much weight it has. Again, it's a political fight, not a legal fight. If she is called to testify under oath it may be a different matter. But until then all of this is just talk with no weight at all.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>So now we allow hearsay evidence?

For a legal trial? No.

To see if someone's good for a job? Absolutely.

Let's say you want to hire a new mechanic for your car repair joint. Joe Smith comes by and wants a job. He has some decent experience from what he says. He talks a good game.

So you ask around the town.

"Joe? That creep stole six hundred dollars from me and disappeared!"

"Yeah, he worked here for a while. None of the other mechanics could stand him; kept getting into fights."

"One of my work buddies shared an apartment with him. He was out really late a lot, and did a lot of drugs."

All hearsay. Would you hire him?

tri160

Then the lady should be willing to stand behind her accusations and be willing to be interviewed by the Judiciary committee if they ask. Otherwise it looks and smells like bullshit.

They have subpoena power. But I'm guessing the majority party that controls the committee doesn't really want to hear from her that badly.

tri160

Then the lady should be willing to stand behind her accusations and be willing to be interviewed by the Judiciary committee if they ask. Otherwise it looks and smells like bullshit.

It's FAR better to reject a good nominee than to confirm a bad one. This one's a no-brainer down-vote for any Senator looking out for the best interests of their country.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

this is a legal matter.

No, you are wrong. It is not. In a formal sense, it will not be considered. The committee will hear nothing about it. Just the public. Unless it comes up in testimony it is not part of the legal proceedings. But it is still there for Senators facing elections to think about. That's why it is political.

tri160

You can't have it both ways. Either she should back up her statements or they should not even be considered. That's the same way any witness would be treated in a legal matter and this is a legal matter. (even if it also a political matter.)

It's called corroborating testimony. Without corroboration, and against hostile interrogators, she'll look like a liar. Get real. Without Judge or someone else on the hot seat she'll be made to look like the exaggerating female they want her to be. She's right to hold firm. It's her dignity, not yours.

Joe, you may be off track here. Or I am. I am not talking about Ford, the woman who was molested. I'm talking about her friend who posted collaborating words and then deleted them and now claims no knowledge.

I believe Ford probably will testify in the end. She seems to be very careful and deliberate about controlling when. I'm guessing a part of her is relishing the chance to lay a little karma on O'Kavenaugh.

gowlerk

Joe, you may be off track here. Or I am. I am not talking about Ford, the woman who was molested. I'm talking about her friend who posted collaborating words and then deleted them and now claims no knowledge.

I believe Ford probably will testify in the end. She seems to be very careful and deliberate about controlling when. I'm guessing a part of her is relishing the chance to lay a little karma on O'Kavenaugh.

Ken, fair enough. I was, too clumsily. replying to tri160's post. I'll try to tighten it up.

billvon

>You can't have it both ways. Either she should back up her statements or
>they should not even be considered.

You didn't answer my question. Would you hire Joe Smith, who talked a good game, but had terrible references?

But what if he had a good reference like "Judge Kavanaugh is one of the finest people that I've ever known" from the same reliable source that gave these these :

Trump on Cohen the Felon: "a fine person with a wonderful family”
Trump on Manafort the Felon: “a very good man”
Trump on Flynn the Felon: “General Flynn is a wonderful man”

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.