Phil1111

Brett Kavanaugh, how to get a SC Nomination

billvon

Aaaaand - here we go.

A Kavanaugh proxy just tried to call it "horseplay" rather than attempted rape on an interview with CNN.

"Well, look - her allegations cover a whole range of conduct, from boorishness, and . . . to rough horseplay to attempted rape."

When asked why Carrie Severino (the interviewee in question) said that Ford alleged "horseplay" (which she did not) Severino said "you have to look at the . . . uh . . . there's a . . . there's thirty five years of memory that we're trying to play with here. . . ."

I have a feeling that Kavanaugh and the rest of the right wing will be trying to "play with" Ford's memory quite a bit over the next few days.

Plus which, in the modern right wing echo chamber, this represents the seed of a new meme. "Well, look, people are talking about how Ford said it was rough horseplay. What's wrong with that?" "New reports indicate Kavanaugh just engaging in 'horseplay' - Ford cannot explain discrepancy."

And finally, we may be seeing the latest change in Kavanaugh's story. "It wasn't attempted rape! That incident that never happened was just rough horseplay."

Mark Judge, who ostensibly witnessed the alleged attempted rape of Christine Blasey Ford, has no recollection of the alleged incident and has declined an invitation to testify before the Senate Committee.

“I have no memory of this alleged incident. Brett Kavanaugh and I were friends in high school but I do not recall the party described in Dr. Ford’s letter,” Judge told the Senate Judiciary Committee in a statement sent by his lawyer. “... I have no more information to offer the committee and I do not wish to speak publicly regarding the incidents described in Dr. Ford’s letter.”

Ya, think?

Deplorables take a principled stand against Kavanaugh's accuser! From the NYT:

============
Dr. Blasey, thrust suddenly into a spotlight that she never sought, has been inundated with vulgar email and social media messages, and even death threats, according to a person close to her, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a private matter. “From what I’ve heard you have 6 months to live, you disgusting slime,” one message said.

Dr. Blasey, who has two teenagers, has moved out of her house, is arranging for private security for herself and her family, and is effectively in hiding, the person said.
============

billvon

Deplorables take a principled stand against Kavanaugh's accuser! From the NYT:

============
Dr. Blasey, thrust suddenly into a spotlight that she never sought, has been inundated with vulgar email and social media messages, and even death threats, according to a person close to her, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a private matter. “From what I’ve heard you have 6 months to live, you disgusting slime,” one message said.

Dr. Blasey, who has two teenagers, has moved out of her house, is arranging for private security for herself and her family, and is effectively in hiding, the person said.
============

There is something seriously, thoroughly wrong with US society.

Mark Judge, who ostensibly witnessed the alleged attempted rape of Christine Blasey Ford, has no recollection of the alleged incident and has declined an invitation to testify before the Senate Committee.

Well, this is the guy who:

Put a quote in his high school yearbook - "Certain women should be struck regularly, like gongs."

Wrote a book entitled "Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk." In it he says his high school years were "positively swimming in alcohol." A funny story from that book - a guy named "Bart O'Kavanaugh" puked in someone's car after drinking too much.

Hates Democrats with a passion.

Has claimed that "if [a] man is any kind of man, he'll allow himself to feel the awesome power, the wonderful beauty, of uncontrollable male passion."

I am thinking the GOP wants to keep him far, far away from any testimony.

Oh I have a feeling he has a recollection. This is on of his writings:

"Of course, a man must be able to read a woman’s signals, and it’s a good thing that feminism is teaching young men that no means no and yes means yes. But there’s also that ambiguous middle ground, where the woman seems interested and indicates, whether verbally or not, that the man needs to prove himself to her. And if that man is any kind of man, he’ll allow himself to feel the awesome power, the wonderful beauty, of uncontrollable male passion."

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1343556002

edited to add: looks like Bill and I posted at the same time.

This comment is funny: (via WaPo)

"Both men have denied the accusation, which Christine Blasey Ford went public with this week in The Washington Post. A lawyer for Judge said in a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee that he has “no memory of this alleged incident.” Judge previously told the New York Times that such behavior would be wildly out of character for the Catholic-raised-and-educated boys who went to Georgetown Prep in the early ’80s."

I went to a Catholic high school that was largely a prep school. And what was described by Judge (in his book) and Ford (in her accusation) wasn't just in character - it was a _goal_ of many of the kids there.

The stories I could tell . . .

He is full of shit. From that same article I linked:

But Judge's memoirs, "Wasted: Tales of a GenX Drunk" and "God and Man at Georgetown Prep," paint a very different picture of what the Post called a "nest of debauchery." And he said his drinking and "immorality" began at that school, even as he credited the education he received there, the Post reported.

Judge described a school with "masturbation class" where the boys "lusted after girls" from other Catholic schools and drank heavily, including to the point of blacking out.

JoeWeber

***Aaaaand - here we go.

A Kavanaugh proxy just tried to call it "horseplay" rather than attempted rape on an interview with CNN.

"Well, look - her allegations cover a whole range of conduct, from boorishness, and . . . to rough horseplay to attempted rape."

When asked why Carrie Severino (the interviewee in question) said that Ford alleged "horseplay" (which she did not) Severino said "you have to look at the . . . uh . . . there's a . . . there's thirty five years of memory that we're trying to play with here. . . ."

I have a feeling that Kavanaugh and the rest of the right wing will be trying to "play with" Ford's memory quite a bit over the next few days.

Plus which, in the modern right wing echo chamber, this represents the seed of a new meme. "Well, look, people are talking about how Ford said it was rough horseplay. What's wrong with that?" "New reports indicate Kavanaugh just engaging in 'horseplay' - Ford cannot explain discrepancy."

And finally, we may be seeing the latest change in Kavanaugh's story. "It wasn't attempted rape! That incident that never happened was just rough horseplay."

“I have no memory of this alleged incident. Brett Kavanaugh and I were friends in high school but I do not recall the party described in Dr. Ford’s letter,” Judge told the Senate Judiciary Committee in a statement sent by his lawyer. “... I have no more information to offer the committee and I do not wish to speak publicly regarding the incidents described in Dr. Ford’s letter.”

Ya, think?

They played on the same football team. Were both drinking buddies. If he has no recollection why would he not testify to that under oath to help his old friend, teammate and hard core drinking buddy? His testimony would clear his friend, discredit Kavanaugh's accuser and end the discussion.

Who is Mark Judge? Here's what we know about Brett Kavanaugh's classmate
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/18/mark-judge-what-we-know-brett-kavanaugh-classmate/1344707002/

"He wrote about the 'debauchery,' drunkenness and 'immorality' of his youth

Judge's memoirs, "Wasted: Tales of a GenX Drunk" and "God and Man at Georgetown Prep," describe school as a "nest of debauchery" and say his drinking and "immorality" began at Georgetown Prep, according to excerpts published by The Washington Post.

In "Wasted," Judge wrote about a character named "Bart O'Kavanaugh" who drank until he passed out, according to the Post."

Get the FBI onto the story. To which
"In the Oval Office earlier Trump had said that the FBI should not be involved further investigating the Kavanaugh allegation because, "they don't want to be involved. It's not really their thing." He reiterated that view at the press conference. "
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/18/trump-fbi-should-not-be-involved-further-on-kavanaugh.html

The FBI could determine fairly quickly who is lying. Closely knit teams know what everyone is up to. The statements that Judge made that Kavanaugh was NOT part of the heavy drinking and debauchery to which Judge wrote a book about. FICTION.

Kavanaugh's yearbook:
Brett Kavanaugh's high school yearbook entry touts 'Keg City Club' membership, other references to beer drinking
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-news-kavanaugh-high-school-yearbook-keg-city-sexual-references-20180918-story.html

There is far, far too much lying going on all around.

Trump: "they [the FBI] don't want to be involved. It's not really their thing."

Exactly. The FBI isn't there to investigate potential crimes. That's not their thing. They have one primary job, and that is to help the Republicans win elections. It's right there in the Constitution, right after it says "free and independent States."

billvon

Trump: "they [the FBI] don't want to be involved. It's not really their thing."

Exactly. The FBI isn't there to investigate potential crimes. That's not their thing. They have one primary job, and that is to help the Republicans win elections. It's right there in the Constitution, right after it says "free and independent States."

Dr. Ford agrees to testify at a Monday hearing causing cancellation of a Thursday vote. That rescheduling now done and irreversible, per her lawyer, she now wants an FBI investigation prior to her testifying to ensure critical facts, etc.. are put before the committee in a non-partisan manner.

Hmm.... Did Schumer finally wake up and hire an out of work Republican strategist? I sure hope so.

From a 2015 speech by Kavanaugh: "But fortunately, we had a good saying that we've held firm to to this day ... which is: What happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep. I think that's been a good thing for all of us."

Looks like - not always.

billvon

From a 2015 speech by Kavanaugh: "But fortunately, we had a good saying that we've held firm to to this day ... which is: What happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep. I think that's been a good thing for all of us."

Looks like - not always.

Toilet paper on my shoe.

billvon

This comment is funny: (via WaPo)

"Both men have denied the accusation, which Christine Blasey Ford went public with this week in The Washington Post. A lawyer for Judge said in a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee that he has “no memory of this alleged incident.” Judge previously told the New York Times that such behavior would be wildly out of character for the Catholic-raised-and-educated boys who went to Georgetown Prep in the early ’80s."

I went to a Catholic high school that was largely a prep school. And what was described by Judge (in his book) and Ford (in her accusation) wasn't just in character - it was a _goal_ of many of the kids there.

The stories I could tell . . .

Having grown up in that area in the 80's and 90's I can attest that many private schools definitely had reputations.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

SkyDekker

He is full of shit. From that same article I linked:

But Judge's memoirs, "Wasted: Tales of a GenX Drunk" and "God and Man at Georgetown Prep," paint a very different picture of what the Post called a "nest of debauchery." And he said his drinking and "immorality" began at that school, even as he credited the education he received there, the Post reported.

Judge described a school with "masturbation class" where the boys "lusted after girls" from other Catholic schools and drank heavily, including to the point of blacking out.

Wow, if there's one thing that could fuck your career it's to write a book glorifying the debaucherous shit you did as a teenager.

DJL

Wow, if there's one thing that could fuck your career it's to write a book glorifying the debaucherous shit you did as a teenager.

As a counter-example, I submit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_Reptile

Possibly the most hilarious book I've ever read.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

DJL

Not if your career is writing about that kind of stuff.

People like Kerouac and Bukowski did pretty damn well out of it. I'm guessing they were far better writers than this creep, though;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***Wow, if there's one thing that could fuck your career it's to write a book glorifying the debaucherous shit you did as a teenager.

Not if your career is writing about that kind of stuff.

People like Kerouac and Bukowski did pretty damn well out of it. I'm guessing they were far better writers than this creep, though;)And Hunter S Thompson
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

True, also that Tucker Max guy, douchebag extraordinaire. Probably a good idea to leave out descriptive info about people in your stories. There's definitely shit in my past that not me, nor any of my friends ever want put into print.

billvon

I am trying to reconcile the two different responses:

1. Just a young teenager being a teenager.
2. It didn't happen.

Don't forget:

3. Clinton did it first.

And, don't forget Ted Kennedy killed Mary Jo Kopechne and became the "Lion of the Senate."
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.