MLyons

FBI serve search warrant in Lodi

I hope the investigation isn't about manslaughter or negligent homicide. Those kinds of cases are almost always brought by county prosecutors not feds.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/may/19/man-sentenced-in-deaths-of-two-parachuters-former/

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hi 337,

Those kinds of cases are almost always brought by county prosecutors not feds.

That is correct. However, in the case of Mayfield ( your linked cite ), it was because of the investigative work of a fed employed at the local FSDO.

He was the one who did the statistical research into the fatality ratio at Sheridan.

Jerry Baumchen

Thanks Jerry. That makes me wonder if the feds are working with local prosecutors to investigate fatalities and evaluate possible criminal charges.

I can't see how the seized jumper waivers and customer credit card charges would be directly relevant to tax or labor issues or Bill's FAA troubles over AD compliance on his Twin Otter. Time will tell.

Ted Mayfield, the DZO who pled guilty to negligent homicide, died hand propping a plane a couple of years ago. Seemed like Ted was always in some kind of trouble. He had been convicted of armed robbery a long time ago. Busted for flying without a current license too. Some speculated he could have been DB Cooper but he doesn't match the witness descriptions.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Thanks Jerry. That makes me wonder if the feds are working with local prosecutors to investigate fatalities and evaluate possible criminal charges.

I can't see how the seized jumper waivers and customer credit card charges would be directly relevant to tax or labor issues or Bill's FAA troubles over AD compliance on his Twin Otter. Time will tell...

Given the typical 'turf fights' between local law enforcement and the FBI, I kind of doubt that they are working together unless they have to. Some of the stories from the NYPD/FBI 'cooperative' investigations against the mob are legendary.

Waivers and CC receipts are proof jumps were made. If the income reported is more in line with the CC numbers, and there are extra waivers, then it is an indication that income was not reported. They seized videos too. If there are videos for people who's names aren't among the names on the CC slips, then more indication.

There's also a reasonably simple technique of having an agent in the manifest area, keeping an eye on check ins. He (or she) could get an idea of cash to CC ratios. I don't know Lodi at all, but where I jump, it's busy enough and crowded enough that a spectator could blend in for a couple hours without being noticed.

And my understanding is that Bill is an A&P (if I'm wrong on that, correction is welcome). Unless he was paying himself for the work done (or not done) on the planes, there wouldn't be any financial records, just the aircraft logs. Nothing shady or illegal about a business owner doing work without pay or records of the time.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

There's also a reasonably simple technique of having an agent in the manifest area, keeping an eye on check ins. He (or she) could get an idea of cash to CC ratios. I don't know Lodi at all, but where I jump, it's busy enough and crowded enough that a spectator could blend in for a couple hours without being noticed.

Haha, I highly doubt that a disguised person can hang in Lodi and pass unnoticed. Bill even charges "hang out" tickets if someone is hanging there and is not jumping. If people refuse he tells them to fuck off the area.

nickfrey

Lead story on CBS Sacramento tonight is about DB Cooper, they think it's some dude from Stockton named Robert Rackstraw.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/video/category/news/3430303-fbi-exhausts-leads-in-d-b-cooper-case/

That's one hell of a coincidence!

Hah. I remember when the first news of DB Cooper's amazing skyjack came out. I was jumping at Livermore back then. Many Nor Cal jumpers were convinced Bill Dause did the job but then the witness descriptions and FBI drawing came out and that myth died fast.

Haha, I highly doubt that a disguised person can hang in Lodi and pass unnoticed. Bill even charges "hang out" tickets if someone is hanging there and is not jumping. If people refuse he tells them to fuck off the area.

Same, but we already know that in addition to surfing Jhonny Utah does a little skydiving for kicks.

***Lead story on CBS Sacramento tonight is about DB Cooper, they think it's some dude from Stockton named Robert Rackstraw.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/video/category/news/3430303-fbi-exhausts-leads-in-d-b-cooper-case/

Hah. I remember when the first news of DB Cooper's amazing skyjack came out. I was jumping at Livermore back then. Many Nor Cal jumpers were convinced Bill Dause did the job but then the witness descriptions and FBI drawing came out and that myth died fast.

BD is DB backwards.......

Coincidence?

I think not....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

******Lead story on CBS Sacramento tonight is about DB Cooper, they think it's some dude from Stockton named Robert Rackstraw.

Coincidence?

I think not....

Dan Cooper smoked and drank. Bill does neither.

Dan Cooper was reported to above average height. Bill is not.

Dan Cooper jumped out of the plane. Bill would have ordered everyone else to jump and flown the plane himself!

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

*********Lead story on CBS Sacramento tonight is about DB Cooper, they think it's some dude from Stockton named Robert Rackstraw.

Coincidence?

I think not....

Dan Cooper jumped out of the plane. Bill would have ordered everyone else to jump and flown the plane himself!

Pffffttt...flimsy details.

Anyone can quit smoking and drinking.

Height reduction surgery.....

The plot sickens.......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

daffes

Really? So tandem students aren't allowed to have family and friends come watch? Or are they required to leave after the jump is done?

Or are simple spectators who want to watch the jumping charged?

We get folks parking along the road, watching (maybe 50 yards from tandem landings). We get locals coming in and watching from the spectator area (not a lot, but some). Every once in a while, one decides to make a jump. They often buy stuff from the vending machines. The DZO thinks it's good 'neighbor relations' to be nice to them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

wolfriverjoe

Really? So tandem students aren't allowed to have family and friends come watch? Or are they required to leave after the jump is done?

We get folks parking along the road, watching (maybe 50 yards from tandem landings). We get locals coming in and watching from the spectator area (not a lot, but some). Every once in a while, one decides to make a jump. They often buy stuff from the vending machines. The DZO thinks it's good 'neighbor relations' to be nice to them.

I think Bill has amended the hang out ticket purchase agreement. Tandems/rando spectators seem to get a bit of a pass on them, but up jumpers are told to jump or find somewhere else to hang out. Probably because up jumpers tend to cause trouble when bored and tandems/spectators tend to just sit and stare.

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

I think Bill has amended the hang out ticket purchase agreement. Tandems/rando spectators seem to get a bit of a pass on them, but up jumpers are told to jump or find somewhere else to hang out. Probably because up jumpers tend to cause trouble when bored and tandems/spectators tend to just sit and stare.

Wow, sounds like a killer vibe. Once the investigation is over & he decides to maintain his aircraft, I'll definitely be sure to drop by... :|

wolfriverjoe

Have you been to Bill's operation? Plenty of space to sit outside and watch. Not really any area to sit around and inconspicuously watch the cash flows of the DZ. He would notice you, ask if you were going to jump or what you were doing. If you said anything to the effect of I'm watching friends/family jump or watching people jump because I might want to jump myself, he would say the watching area is outside. I doubt you are going to get away with the excuse of that you would like to watch the 5 minute promo video, or other peoples tandem skydives on the TV for two hours.

Neversurfaced

Wow, sounds like a killer vibe. Once the investigation is over & he decides to maintain his aircraft, I'll definitely be sure to drop by... :|

Bill is in the business of skydiving from 9am - 3pm, not hanging out. He also sells 15$ skydives so he figures you should be doing plenty of them. If you make two, scattered throughout the day, he generally won't harass you as long as you stay out of sight the rest of the time. If you are trying to hang out and live there on the cheap (one or two skydives a day) staying out of Bill's line of sight goes a long way. Granted he hasn't forgotten you are then, but you aren't in the line of fire. Plenty of time for hanging out outside of skydiving hours.

fanya

Have you been to Bill's operation? Plenty of space to sit outside and watch. Not really any area to sit around and inconspicuously watch the cash flows of the DZ. He would notice you, ask if you were going to jump or what you were doing. If you said anything to the effect of I'm watching friends/family jump or watching people jump because I might want to jump myself, he would say the watching area is outside. I doubt you are going to get away with the excuse of that you would like to watch the 5 minute promo video, or other peoples tandem skydives on the TV for two hours.

No. As I noted, I don't know the operation at all.

I know a bit about surveillance and observation.

As I noted, the manifest area where I jump is very busy, with lines for the desk, busy staff and lots of people.
For an observer to stay towards the back, move in and out a bit, but continue to observe the check ins would not be terribly difficult.

If Lodi is different, so be it.

obelixtim

Pffffttt...flimsy details.

Anyone can quit smoking and drinking.

Height reduction surgery.....

The plot sickens.......

He jumped himself, and had such a hard opening that his height instantly reduced by 10 centimeters. From there on, he decided to make everyone else jump instead.

Foolproof theory.

He's not trying to make it friendly, just cheap and production line, sounds like. The People Express of skydiving.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

He's not trying to make it friendly, just cheap and production line, sounds like. The People Express of skydiving.

Wendy P.

That's not true at all. Bill is very friendly to people who are there to jump, and he has an odd sense of humor so he can be off-putting. But Kathy is up there and is super nice and amazing at remembering people's names and jump numbers. Also, you have to be able to get yourself to the right plane at the right time, like an adult. The planes don't wait for people who can't listen to the calls, which upsets some delicate flowers.

Like any business, you stand around doing nothing (and spending nothing) long enough and someone is going to tell you to move along.

Jump more, post less!

I can't help but laugh at all of the people on here that have never been to Lodi but think bad things about it based on the comments made here by the keyboard warriors.

Lodi is, hands down, one of the greatest drop zones in the world. The people there are great. You can jump your butt off and make a ton of skydives in 6-7 hours. $5 for a hop-n-pop or $15 to the top. What's not to love?

I'm sure the keyboard warriors that have never been there before will line right up and start preaching about how it's unsafe there or that Bill doesn't do any maintenance on his aircraft, yet they've never been there to see the operation themselves. They've never chatted with the full-time maintenance guys in Bill's aircraft hangar. And they've never jumped there to see how jumpers approach safety on the aircraft and in the air. They simply have no idea, but are quick to regurgitate some rumor they heard once upon a time.

As for Bill, he is a legend! He has given so much to the sport of skydiving. He has kept skydiving affordable for decades. And believe it or not, he actually hates to see people get hurt, which is why he has a multitude of rules in place that actually make jumping at his DZ far safer than a good majority of other DZs out there. (No turns over 90 degrees, must fly a predictable pattern, long bridles for wingsuits, and much more). Yes, I will admit, when Bill gets mad he can really unleash his anger on some people, but they are usually people that are practically asking for it anyway. Just steer clear of him when he's having a bad day. LOL. But for the most part, if you come to Lodi to skydive hard, you're not an a-hat, you're a safe skydiver, and you follow the basic rules, than you'll get along quite well with Bill.

As far as I'm concerned, long live Lodi! I sure hope this FBI stuff is due to a bunch of nothing...

I've jumped at Bill's DZs starting at Pope Valley in the early 1970s. I jump at Lodi once in a while, but Byron is closer to home. Bill is the only DZO I have ever seen actually kick jumpers off his DZ for unsafe skydiving. I saw this happen at Pope valley and at Lodi.

Hmm, I'm aware of people getting kicked off every DZ I have ever been to. Been involved in kicking people off my old DZ back in the day, including lifetime bans.

To imply Bill Dause has some sort of monopoly on safety is one of the most ridiculous things I think I have ever heard.

- Dan G

I did not mean to imply that Bill has a monopoly on safety. The tandem fiasco and Twin Otter AD compliance FAA beef clearly show otherwise. I just think the portrayal of Bill as a callous businessman who cares nothing about safety paints an inaccurate picture. I’ve been jumping for half a century and at many different dropzones. I’ve seen unsafe jumpers scolded, temporarily grounded and bans threatened, but Bill is the only DZO I’ve seen who actually kicks them out permanently.

I don't think anyone is implying that bill has a monopoly on safety. But Bill is completely unhesitant about kicking your ass off his DZ. Bill has this weird expectation that you are an adult and can take care of yourself, and if you can't, you go skydive somewhere else.

And once again, not exclusive to Bill, but considering that a lot of times there are 3 airplanes dropping jumpers on a Saturday, his safety record is pretty good.

Bill runs a machine, a well oiled skydiving machine, don't mess up his machine and give him money, and you'll be fine.