2 2
billvon

Russiagate

So why doesn't Barr release the report?
If it was all 'fake' and it 'exonerates' Trump, you'd think he'd want to have it public to show how innocent he, how he did nothing wrong.

Kinda funny how the Mueller team was incredibly silent during the entire process of the investigation. No leaks whatsoever from them, only one statement that a story 'was not accurate'. 
And now, when Barr & Trump & friends are saying how there's nothing in it, they are saying that those statements aren't quite accurate.

And, of course, Giuliani is railing against those 'sneaky leakers.' That in itself gives those leaks a lot more credibility.

1 hour ago, BillyVance said:

We'll just have to wait and see, won't we? 2+ years wasted on garbage. They're not just going to let this slide.

If Trump had nothing to hide, why did he & associates keep lying about all their Russian contacts?

Maybe it has turned out that all they did was lie and be sleazy and lie some more and hope & ask indirectly for support from Russia (without actively colluding).  But their actions certainly helped get the whole investigation momentum going. Hiding your contacts with Russia when asked about your contacts with Russia might make someone suspicious about your contacts with Russia, amazingly enough.

1 hour ago, BillyVance said:

We'll just have to wait and see, won't we? 2+ years wasted on garbage. They're not just going to let this slide.

If Trump had nothing to hide, why did he & associates keep lying about all their Russian contacts?

Maybe it has turned out that all they did was lie and be sleazy and lie some more and hope & ask indirectly for support from Russia (without actively colluding).  But their actions certainly helped get the whole investigation momentum going. Hiding your contacts with Russia when asked about your contacts with Russia might make someone suspicious about your contacts with Russia, amazingly enough.

4 hours ago, BillyVance said:

My point is, they're finally starting to do it.

Less time BY FAR than Whitewater, Benghazigate or Emailgate, yet none of those resulted in a single indictment, much less a conviction, neither did they turn a profit from confiscations.  I don't ever recall your whining even once about them, and I go back with you to the rec.skydiving days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Less time BY FAR than Whitewater, Benghazigate or Emailgate, yet none of those resulted in a single indictment, much less a conviction, neither did they turn a profit from confiscations.  I don't ever recall your whining even once about them, and I go back with you to the rec.skydiving days.

So much hypocrisy!  Spot on.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:00 PM, BillyVance said:

Sooooo.... Attorney General Barr appeared before a congressional panel today to answer questions about the Mueller Report.

Rut ROH! Barr told them he intends to investigate the origins of how and what led to the beginning of the investigation, including a look into how and why the FISAs were used. Not the kind of news the Democrats wanted to hear.

After we found out that Barr was fibbing about the Mueller report, he doesn't have a whole lot of credibility.  (I realize that is a plus for Trump supporters, but in the real world it means that no one is going to take him very seriously.)

1 hour ago, billvon said:

After we found out that Barr was fibbing about the Mueller report, he doesn't have a whole lot of credibility.  (I realize that is a plus for Trump supporters, but in the real world it means that no one is going to take him very seriously.)

How was he fibbing?

5 hours ago, billvon said:

Clearly Barr is attempting to distract attention away from the Mueller report. The Trumpettes will trumpet the party line. No one else will be fooled.

10 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I find it rather funny that the Trumpettes seem disturbed by the fact that the FBI was worried that the Russians were trying to penetrate the Trump campaign. 

Not disturbed by the Russians behavior, but by the fact that the FBI was looking into it. 

I will give one bit of the middle road is that it would've been slightly more proactive for the FBI to go to both campaigns and get them involved in ferreting out Russian influence.  As it was they gave Trump's people enough rope to hang themselves.

I'm not aware that there were any indications the Russians were even trying to penetrate HRC's campaign. 
You have to remember how much Putin hates her for her actions on sanctions against Russia.

OTOH, he likely already had significant leverage over Trump. 

The FBI knew that. They probably didn't have any idea of how much or how far the Russians had gotten. 

In that case, going to the campaigns might just alert them that they are under suspicion. 

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'm not aware that there were any indications the Russians were even trying to penetrate HRC's campaign. 
You have to remember how much Putin hates her for her actions on sanctions against Russia.

OTOH, he likely already had significant leverage over Trump. 

The FBI knew that. They probably didn't have any idea of how much or how far the Russians had gotten. 

In that case, going to the campaigns might just alert them that they are under suspicion. 

I really said both campaigns as an extension of the story-line in my head that I think the FBI should not only be interested in catching the bad guys but protecting the good guys.  This is all Monday morning quarterbacking but I'd like to think they could devise a way to provide the protection without tipping their hand, call it a briefing or something and send over a few corporate looking guys so sit down with specific people.  That not only could give them insight (perhaps even access to their data stream) but also officially establish the campaign rules for conduct.  Then 6 months later when Trump Jr has a sit-down with Russians they can say that he did so with full knowledge that he wasn't supposed to.  Campaigns currently offer a unique route for foreign intel as they operate outside of the govt security sector but become more and more privy to secure information.  I don't fault Trump Jr. for taking that meeting, he was a clueless civilian as far at gov't affairs go.

11 hours ago, billvon said:

Actually, rank and file Democrats are in meltdown mode. Apparently they didn't like his comment that he believes spying occurred by the Obama administration. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

6 hours ago, DJL said:

I really said both campaigns as an extension of the story-line in my head that I think the FBI should not only be interested in catching the bad guys but protecting the good guys.  This is all Monday morning quarterbacking but I'd like to think they could devise a way to provide the protection without tipping their hand, call it a briefing or something and send over a few corporate looking guys so sit down with specific people.  That not only could give them insight (perhaps even access to their data stream) but also officially establish the campaign rules for conduct.  Then 6 months later when Trump Jr has a sit-down with Russians they can say that he did so with full knowledge that he wasn't supposed to.  Campaigns currently offer a unique route for foreign intel as they operate outside of the govt security sector but become more and more privy to secure information.  I don't fault Trump Jr. for taking that meeting, he was a clueless civilian as far at gov't affairs go.

The problem with that is they didn't know who where the 'bad guys' and who were the 'good guys'.

Was Russia trying to infiltrate the campaign? 
Did they already have assets in place there?

How high up were those assets placed?

Without knowing those things, any open contact could alert the bad guys and blow the investigation.

Also, the laws on colluding, collaborating or working with foreign governments by a presidential campaign aren't all that complicated.
Plus the campaign had a lot of lawyers, whose job was to advise the higher-ups on the legalities of their behaviors.

Trump Jr should have known the laws before sitting down with the Russians. The fact that he lied about it from the beginning says volumes.

7 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Actually, rank and file Democrats are in meltdown mode. Apparently they didn't like his comment that he believes spying occurred by the Obama administration. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

Does that lend any credence to his insistence that Obama had his "Wires Tapped"?