wmw999

What makes America great?

You know what makes America great?

Your President-Elect tweets

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/799432403727028224

Clearly implying he is responsible for saving these jobs.

However, Ford has been saying for quite some time how there are no plans to move this plant to Mexico. That fact doesn't matter, roughly half the American population will now think Trump saved jobs. Isn't America great! ALl the fake conservative news sites agree!

Why does this matter, this explains it pretty well:

https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/799455529756139521

Once a nation decides that some speech is off limits it will eventually decide that other speech is off limits, too. We are having this debate now in the US, especially on college campuses where some students want to limit speech they don't like. The freedom of speech needs to be absolute or it will eventually disappear.

Anyway, this thread isn't "what makes America better than your country" it is about what makes America great. Our freedom of speech is one thing that makes America great.

- Dan G

The only difference is the ability to freely walk around with them. Almost all Western countries allow the purchase of firearms in some form of another.

Again, this isn't about what makes America better, it is about what makes America great. The rights enjoyed by our citizens, protected for centuries now, are some of the things that make America great.

Regarding free speech, if you can't see the benefit then I feel sorry for you.

I really din't see how women have more freedom in other countries. They may have made more strides towards social and economic equality, but I don't see how they enjoy more freedom.

I agree that our criminal justice system is messed up right now, but I feel people are starting to wake up to that fact. I think real change is on the horizon. In America we have a process to change things when enough people want a change. That's another thing that makes America great.

- Dan G

The rights enjoyed by our citizens, protected for centuries now, are some of the things that make America great.

Right and there are lots of people who believe that your gun rights are what make America not so great.

Regarding free speech, if you can't see the benefit then I feel sorry for you.

Way to twist my words. I have lived in two countries where hate speech is prohibited. I don't see the benefit of the American model where it is allowed. Never said I don't see the benefit of free speech :S

I really din't see how women have more freedom in other countries.

The freedom to do exactly what men are allowed to do. Walk around topless.

In America we have a process to change things when enough people want a change. That's another thing that makes America great.

Yes, clearly only in America. :S

nigel99

Nice summary.

agree.

America has a unique place in the world for offering leadership. Its unique as a superpower without equal. It can hobble together coalitions to achieve goals that no other country can do.

Its not the best country in the world but its among the top 10-15. Striving to be the best, helps any country.

How many fucking times do I have to tell you? Wendy asked what makes America great

Clearly you can't fucking read past a headline then, cause she also asks:

What would make it better?

Typical American can't read past the headline, no wonder Trump gets elected :)

Reading comprehension beyond 140 characters would likely make America better.

DanG

How many fucking times do I have to tell you? Wendy asked what makes America great, not what makes America best. Get over yourself and your also great country.

He's from Toronto. Everyone in Canada knows people from there are smug and self satisfied.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

wmw999

Part of me is hoping to find out how it isn't great, so that it can be made "great again."

Others have touched on this, but to my mind the issue is that America *was* great. Then everyone took that as an accomplished fact and stopped doing the things that had made it so. You guys still do alright, but the same drive doesn't seem to be there anymore.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Others have touched on this, but to my mind the issue is that America *was* great. Then everyone took that as an accomplished fact and stopped doing the things that had made it so. You guys still do alright, but the same drive doesn't seem to be there anymore.

When was it great? Why was it great? When did it stop being great? What actually changed?

People have been saying that 'the new generation is feckless and lazy!' since Roman times.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wmw999

I'm interested. From people who live here, who don't, who think it's great, and who think it's lost it's greatness.

What would make it better? It'd be better to have more concrete thoughts than "feel better."

Wendy P.

My question about DJT and making America great is whether he is talking about moving forward or moving back. How far back? The farther back you go, the worse it gets for people of color in this country. Moving forward with some of the people he is putting on his team is great cause for concern also.

Unexploited natural resources and two world wars were what made the USA great. USA was the only industrial nation that wasn't devastated by the wars, and that was purely on account of geography.

The natural resources are now exploited pretty much to the full.

Maybe that accounts for Trump's interest in nukes.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Unexploited natural resources and two world wars were what made the USA great. USA was the only industrial nation that wasn't devastated by the wars, and that was purely on account of geography.

The other thing that made the USA great in that era was that Asia was mostly manufacturing with 19th century technology. Now, they are among the best, and still have much cheaper labor than US/Europe.

headoverheels

and still have much cheaper labor than US/Europe.

they hate working people that much? they better get a minimum wage law in place asap

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

kallend

Switzerland did pretty well, and they were smack dab in the middle of the playing field.

winsor

***Unexploited natural resources and two world wars were what made the USA great. USA was the only industrial nation that wasn't devastated by the wars, and that was purely on account of geography.

Switzerland did pretty well, and they were smack dab in the middle of the playing field.

And surrounded by mountains.

mr2mk1g

******Unexploited natural resources and two world wars were what made the USA great. USA was the only industrial nation that wasn't devastated by the wars, and that was purely on account of geography.

And with a moral compass made of gold.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

*********Unexploited natural resources and two world wars were what made the USA great. USA was the only industrial nation that wasn't devastated by the wars, and that was purely on account of geography.

And with a moral compass made of gold.

Our President Elect is gold plated.

mr2mk1g

******Unexploited natural resources and two world wars were what made the USA great. USA was the only industrial nation that wasn't devastated by the wars, and that was purely on account of geography.

Plus the Nazis needed a banker in Europe. They already had the Bush family in the US.