Rick

unbiased news

TriGirl

I wish the provoked thoughts would lead more often to provoking the desire to research in support of full consideration as well.

I agree with all of your points, and that quote is what I meant by "thought provoking."

I also prefer the word "data" or "information" to "fact" because fact implies certainty and few things are certain (for certainty to exist, there also have to be several other certainties to support it), data implies nothing. But I'm all sciencie and stuff so I know most people don't care about nuances like that.

DanG

Can you show me a 3rd party source that proves NPR has a liberal bias? Every study I've seen shows them to be just slightly left of center, if not prety much at the center.

I know it's a conservative belief that reality has a liberal bias, and NPR reports reality, so maybe that's your problem with them.

I don't have a problem with NPR, I like them a lot actually, even have a preset in my car B|

But as you stated "left of center" is a liberal bias, regardless of "how much" or "how far" (which appeals to me because I am extremely liberal). Just because a news source has a bias doesn't invalidate it. When they start to distort information for the purpose of promoting an agenda, then you have invalidation. e.g. FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and Co.

Anachronist

***Can you show me a 3rd party source that proves NPR has a liberal bias? Every study I've seen shows them to be just slightly left of center, if not prety much at the center.

I know it's a conservative belief that reality has a liberal bias, and NPR reports reality, so maybe that's your problem with them.

I don't have a problem with NPR, I like them a lot actually, even have a preset in my car B|

But as you stated "left of center" is a liberal bias, regardless of "how much" or "how far" (which appeals to me because I am extremely liberal). Just because a news source has a bias doesn't invalidate it. When they start to distort information for the purpose of promoting an agenda, then you have invalidation. e.g. FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and Co.

That's agendUM. Agenda are plural (like medium/media, datum/data, etc.).

I agree that the quality of news from BBC, NPR and PBS outstrips the commercial U.S. sources.

It seems that CNN became to news what MTV became to music, which is a shame.

I'm as likely to be nauseated by MSNBC (Al Sharpton?) as I am Fox News, though I tend to channel-surf past either as fast as I would a football game or a test pattern.

People bitch about popular media, but they get what sells. You aren't likely to see US News and World Report at the checkout counter of your local supermarket, but that's not because it sells out as fast as it hits the stands.

BSBD,

Winsor

How about your local newspapers? I get the Orlando Sentinel every day. It's owned by the Tribune publishing company. Seems to be pretty unbiased possibly a slightly conservative slant. (It is Florida after all.) But I like getting the paper delivered to the house every morning. Plus they have comics, Sudoku and on Sunday the NYT crossword puzzle. :)

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

The big thing is to know the difference between hard news and "Opinion" or "Editorial" news.

I've noticed that all pretty much all networks have some straight up "just the news" programing that is pretty unbiased. Just don't think that your going to watch Sean Hannity or Chris Mathews and think your going to get straight news. They are not news anchors.

And biases are not necessarily in the reporting, but biases can also be shown in what is not reported. Don't go to MSNBC's hard news programing if you want to learn the latest on Hillary's e-mail scandal. To them it's a "non-story" and there for not worth putting in there hard news segments.

I think it was said earlier, but you really do have to use multiple sources to get the whole news now a days.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

You've just reminded me of another issue I'm noticing of late.
On a number of news outlet web sites, you have to be mindful of "sponsored" stories. Some are well disguised until you actually start to read the article and realize what the hell is this? Oh, it's basically an ad.
>:(

So multiple sources it is. Thanks for all the recommendations.

And jgoose "biases are not necessarily in the reporting, but biases can also be shown in what is not reported."

this is a very good point
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

DanG

Can you show me a 3rd party source that proves NPR has a liberal bias? Every study I've seen shows them to be just slightly left of center, if not prety much at the center.

Is that your center, my center, rushmc's center, jakee's center . . . .?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

A little surprised no one mentioned CSM (Christian Science Monitor). I've read some good articles by them and have always heard good things by others.

I know....at face value, sounds like a Watchtower tract (Jehovah Witnesses). And if I compare to myself (an Orthodox Christian), again at face value, I ought not read anything by them or think them unbiased or credible.

One study used an interesting technique. They recorded all the papers quoted by congressmen in their official statements. The papers were then weighted as being a left supporting paper or a right supporting paper depending on how often it was used as a souce by Democrats vs Republicans. They then looked at a bunch of news sources, and recorded the papers they reported on, or used as a source. The bias was determined by how often a new source relied on a left or right leaning paper. That technique uses the "center" as halfway between congresional Dems and Reps.

NPR was slightly left of center in that study. As a matter of fact, most major news sources were left of center, some more than others. Fox was decidedly right of center. Obviously, this technique isn't perfect, but it is interesting.

- Dan G

jakee

That's agendUM. Agenda are plural (like medium/media, datum/data, etc.)

It's plural in latin. Correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure we're all speaking english.

Plus, it means "things that have to get done" so it makes perfect sense to refer to a personal organizer as an agenda and would make no sense to refer to it as an agendum, unless there literally is only one entry.....ever.

We like the local paper; for bathroom reading, we also take The Week. It doesn't actually report anything. Instead, it selects a number of sources and quotes (and sometimes digests) them. By no means is it a primary source, but it does show what other sources are saying, and it rounds up the most interesting obituaries of the week, along with one two-pager that's generally quite good. And it has sudoku :)
The Economist is good; I agree about the British filter being a plus in the US. But I never seem to get around to reading enough of it. So I alternate between taking it and feeling guilty, and not taking it and feeling guilty :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Plus, it means "things that have to get done" so it makes perfect sense to refer to a personal organizer
> as an agenda and would make no sense to refer to it as an agendum, unless there literally is only one
>entry.....ever.

That's your opinium.

billvon

>Plus, it means "things that have to get done" so it makes perfect sense to refer to a personal organizer
> as an agenda and would make no sense to refer to it as an agendum, unless there literally is only one
>entry.....ever.

That's your opinium.

Should this really continuum?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

winsor

It's plural in latin. Correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure we're all speaking English.

Why can't the English learn to speak?

Or at least type . . .

One would think he would know how to capitalize his own county name.:)

turtlespeed

It's plural in latin. Correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure we're all speaking English.

Why can't the English learn to speak?

Or at least type . . .

One would think he would know how to capitalize his own county name.:)

I suspect using a typewriter would have been beneath Professor Henry Higgins.