2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

billvon

>The fed's reported today that the safest place for kids to be as in school! Less than
>3% of their deaths happen there. Can't make this stuff up

You're not really following the conversation, are you.

Projection at the highest level.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>The fed's reported today that the safest place for kids to be as in school! Less than

Basically he's way ahead of you.

Applying statistical processes with which I am sure you are familiar, it turns out that your kid is much more likely to O.D. or die of medical mistakes or sundry other causes than by firearm.

The whole issue of 'gun violence' is the result of insecure people whose uterus charts their course.

I, for one, recoil at having limitations imposed on me that are intended for the Lowest Common Denominator of our society. The Dictatorship of the Mediocre is not a paradigm to which I aspire.

winsor

It appears that way to you only because you've fallen behind with Rush.

winsor

Applying statistical processes with which I am sure you are familiar, it turns out that your kid is much more likely to O.D. or die of medical mistakes or sundry other causes than by firearm.

Incorrect.

"The study also found that an average of 1,297 children die annually from gun-related injuries, making guns the third-leading cause of death for children in America (behind illnesses and unintentional injuries like drownings or car crashes). The number is based on data taken from 2012 to 2014 for children up to the age of 17." Source
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

winsor

***>The fed's reported today that the safest place for kids to be as in school! Less than

The whole issue of 'gun violence' is the result of insecure people whose uterus charts their course.

I, for one, recoil at having limitations imposed on me that are intended for the Lowest Common Denominator of our society. The Dictatorship of the Mediocre is not a paradigm to which I aspire.

I recoil at having my child at risk because you want to play with toys.
If everyone who is concerned about their child is a woman as you insinuate, then everyone who is adamantly against gun control is a selfish child who won’t grow up.

NO! DON'T TAKE MY BALL!! Waah.

In the way that each of you present your "statistical" argument - all three of you are correct.

1) To Rush's point - "IN School" is correct."

2) To Winsor's point - "IN General" is correct (which you validate in your post) "...it turns out that your kid is much more likely to O.D. or die of medical mistakes or sundry other causes than by firearm." (behind illnesses and unintentional injuries like drownings or car crashes)

3) To your point - "In America" is correct ...making "guns the third-leading cause of death for children."

SOURCE: CDC Report.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

2) To Winsor's point - "IN General" is correct (which you validate in your post) "...it turns out that your kid is much more likely to O.D. or die of medical mistakes or sundry other causes than by firearm." (behind illnesses and unintentional injuries like drownings or car crashes)

Yes, if you read Winsor's post literally, with the most expansive interpretation, in which case he only claim's that guns are not involved in the absolute majority of children's deaths in the US, then it is indeed accurate. I did not infer from his post, however, that that literal interpretation was the intended interpretation.

I credited Winsor with poor writing and research skills rather than intellectual dishonesty. Perhaps I did so incorrectly, and his intent was to be deceptive. On the other hand, if he was indeed claiming, as I inferred, that guns are involved in only an insignificant proportion of child deaths in the US, compared to other causes, then he was factually incorrect.

billvon

Guys! The feds today reported that children will be healthier if they eat a balanced meal! Your gun control logic is bullshit!!!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

What I find interesting in that report (far right one) - Is that in the 15-24 age column; if Suicide "firearm" and Homicide "firearm" were to be just "by-Firearm" it would be the number one cause for that age group. Cause, one of the real arguments is - inventory control and access to guns.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

What I find interesting in that report (far right one) - Is that in the 15-24 age column; if Suicide "firearm" and Homicide "firearm" were to be just "by-Firearm" it would be the number one cause for that age group. Cause, one of the real arguments is - inventory control and access to guns.

I noticed pretty high year over year variation in firearms deaths between 2015 and 2016, where many other categories changed little year over year for the age groups I looked at manually. I went to download the data for a longer period to import into R, so I could look at it more systematically, but their system makes it too much like real work! (It doesn't appear that I can get the data at the grain I want, for the date range I want, in a single file.)

***Seven schoolchildren stabbed to death in northern China

The suspect told the authorities he had been bullied when he was a pupil at the school, had hated his classmates and decided to use a dagger to kill people on Friday, the bureau said.

12 more were wounded: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/27/school-children-stabbed-death-china

Update: 9 killed; 19 wounded.

%guncontrol %#

You Dead MuhFucka!!

"Capt. Mathews says when the suspect exited the restaurant, he was confronted by a citizen who took out his own firearm, shooting and killing the suspect." -- http://www.news9.com/story/38274025/2-shot-at-least-1-dead-at-restaurant-on-lake-hefner-in-nw-okc

%guncontrol %#

dmcoco84

You Dead MuhFucka!!

"Capt. Mathews says when the suspect exited the restaurant, he was confronted by a citizen who took out his own firearm, shooting and killing the suspect." -- http://www.news9.com/story/38274025/2-shot-at-least-1-dead-at-restaurant-on-lake-hefner-in-nw-okc

%guncontrol %#

1 - almost certainly not a 'citizen'. Gun control in China is extremely strict so you can probably assume that this is a someone with training. Paramilitary or security of some sort.
Not necessarily your 'one good man with a gun' NRA type of situation...

2 - Given that the perpetrator couldn't get their hands on a gun easily they were forced to use a less effective method. While 9 deaths is tragic, it's logical to suppose that if they had access to firearms the way we do in the US then the death toll would have been much higher.
No one here is stating that gun control will stop killings in schools. But it will massively reduce them. You brought this up - it's YOUR situation. How many similar events have happened in China this year? How many in the past 10 years??? Because it's nowhere NEAR the number of events in the US where guns are used.

SkyDekker

It has never been a gun issue. It's a mental health issue.

Americans are more mentally defective than other Western cultures? Cause I am pretty sure people outside of the US suffer from mental health problems.

The real issue appears to be collectively tackling step 1 at the national level:

We admit we are powerless over guns—that our lives have become unmanageable.

billvon

>>You're not really following the conversation, are you.

>Basically he's way ahead of you.

Nor are you. It's like you are trying to prove that skydiving is dangerous in the Incidents forum.

Okay, so guns are real bad and scary. Let's make them as illegal and unavailable as cocaine and heroin.

While we're at it, let's ban alcohol. I'm a lot more concerned about being killed by a drunk driver than by a 'crazed gunman.'

Since we're on a roll, I submit that anyone who supports 'reasonable' restrictions on firearms put their money where their mouth is and have their security limited to nonlethal means.

winsor

Since we're on a roll, I submit that anyone who supports 'reasonable' restrictions on firearms put their money where their mouth is and have their security limited to nonlethal means.

Works for me, and just about everyone else in a developed country.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

winsor

I'm a lot more concerned about being killed by a drunk driver than by a 'crazed gunman.'

Same here. I'm also far more concerned about being killed by a "good guy with a gun" than a "crazed gunman".

>Okay, so guns are real bad and scary. Let's make them as illegal and unavailable as
>cocaine and heroin.

Again, it's like you are going into the Incidents forum and inserting yourself in a discussion on the benefits and risks of RSL's by saying "Parachutes are dangerous! Ban them!"

It means either you are just trolling, or you don't understand what people are talking about.

jcd11235

***I'm a lot more concerned about being killed by a drunk driver than by a 'crazed gunman.'

Same here. I'm also far more concerned about being killed by a "good guy with a gun" than a "crazed gunman".

Which is precisely why it concerns the hell out of me when the TSA wannabes parade around such venues as 30th Street Station with rapid-firing firearms and enough ammo to dispatch a battalion.

Their contention that "you can't have too much ammo in a firefight" did not quell my concerns that they showed a 'spray and pray' mentality regarding an active shooter engagement.

I, too, am much more concerned with those assholes than I am with ISIS (or whoever is the boogie man du jour).

dmcoco84

***Seven schoolchildren stabbed to death in northern China

The suspect told the authorities he had been bullied when he was a pupil at the school, had hated his classmates and decided to use a dagger to kill people on Friday, the bureau said.

12 more were wounded: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/27/school-children-stabbed-death-china

Update: 9 killed; 19 wounded.

%guncontrol %#

You Dead MuhFucka!!

%guncontrol %#

Mmm... Love'n that Natural Law!

Story is getting better by the day!

As the gunman ran from the scene, two bystanders got their own handguns from the trunks of their vehicles, then confronted and fatally shot the attacker outside the restaurant, Mathews said Friday.

"They were able to shoot this suspect and put an end to this very dangerous situation," Mathews said, adding that the men -- Carlos Nazario, 35, and Bryan Wittle, 39 -- did not know each other. It's not clear who fired the fatal shot. Police initially said only one man fired on the attacker.

The bystanders' actions were "well within their legal rights" and likely would be protected by good Samaritan laws, Mathews said. He deferred a final call to the Oklahoma County district attorney, whose staff did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment.

"These guys were protecting somebody else's life," the police captain said. "You can say they are heroes."

The attacker was identified by police as DeadMuhfucka, 28, of Oklahoma City.

"It doesn't look like he knew anybody at the restaurant," Mathews said, adding that Tilghman had no known history of mental illness and appears to have acted alone. The motive remains unknown.

The three who were wounded remain in good condition Friday, police said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/us/oklahoma-city-shooting/index.html

It's a good thing those Men didn't have any pistols on their person... they probably would have shot the mother and daughter, more, right?! There would have been dead people all over the place! %guncontrol

>There would have been dead people all over the place!

===========================
3-year-old critically injured after finding dad's gun, shooting self on Detroit's east side
photo
POSTED: MAY 08 2018 11:03AM EDT

DETROIT (WJBK) - A 3-year-old child has been critically injured in a shooting in Detroit, Detroit Police confirm to FOX 2, and they said the young child found his father's gun.

We're told the shooting happened in the 5900 block of Marcus Street, which is on the city's east side near Mt. Elliott and Huber streets.

Just after 4 p.m., Detroit police said the young boy found his father's gun inside the home and shot himself.
=================================
Child dies after accidentally shooting himself in Roanoke

A 2-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself Tuesday afternoon in Roanoke, police said.

People in a car flagged down police on Melrose Avenue near Peters Creek Road Northwest about noon, police spokeswoman Caitlyn Cline said. A man and woman in the car told the officer that their son had accidentally shot himself at their residence. The boy was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, where he was declared dead at 12:49 p.m., Cline said.

Police investigated the shooting scene at Caru apartments on Bennett Drive Northwest. An assistant commonwealth’s attorney was at the scene.
================================
CBS NEWS April 2, 2018, 5:34 AM
3-year-old killed in drive-by shooting just outside Atlanta

ATLANTA -- Police near Atlanta are investigating after a 3-year-old boy was shot and killed late Sunday night, reports CBS Atlanta affiliate WGCL-TV. The child's mother said a grey Dodge Charger pulled up to her vehicle at a stop light just before midnight, and the driver showed what she thought was a paintball gun.

She told police she heard a pop, but drove on.

"She heard a real gunshot. She didn't think anything of it," DeKalb County Police Chief James Conroy told the station.

The suspect fled the scene, and the mother drove on, then noticed her child wasn't breathing. The boy was transported to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
====================================

So far 124 children have been killed by guns this year alone. I think you will agree that counts as "dead people all over the place."

winsor

***>>You're not really following the conversation, are you.

>Basically he's way ahead of you.

Nor are you. It's like you are trying to prove that skydiving is dangerous in the Incidents forum.

Okay, so guns are real bad and scary. Let's make them as illegal and unavailable as cocaine and heroin.

While we're at it, let's ban alcohol. I'm a lot more concerned about being killed by a drunk driver than by a 'crazed gunman.'

People will keep dying because we keep waiting for these magical "gun laws" which, never having helped in the past, are going to save us somehow.
We'll never look for the real problems, just blame it on something, anything, that we can say we don't have.

I used to have to deal with teachers like that. "I heard that if we had a printer server that might fix the problem."
I then patiently and in detail explain why a printer server has nothing to do with the problem and you can't use one in this particular situation anyway only to hear "so you're saying that we don't have a printer server!" I knew that was the problem"
All this to keep from either removing the ink cartridge and paper from his inkjet printer before leaving for summer break to avoid dried out ink and bent paper when he got back. I never heard the end of our desperate need for a printer server.
So anyway, let the slaughter continue while we rail for things that wouldn't make the slightest difference anyway.

yoink

1 - almost certainly not a 'citizen'. Gun control in China is extremely strict so you can probably assume that this is a someone with training. Paramilitary or security of some sort.
Not necessarily your 'one good man with a gun' NRA type of situation...

2 - Given that the perpetrator couldn't get their hands on a gun easily they were forced to use a less effective method. While 9 deaths is tragic, it's logical to suppose that if they had access to firearms the way we do in the US then the death toll would have been much higher.
No one here is stating that gun control will stop killings in schools. But it will massively reduce them. You brought this up - it's YOUR situation. How many similar events have happened in China this year? How many in the past 10 years??? Because it's nowhere NEAR the number of events in the US where guns are used.

I'm confused. You normally post reasonably and rationally.

The linked article described an incident in Oklahoma City (USA), not in China.

And it was a stereotypical 'good guy with a gun' (actually two of them) who intervened in a robbery and shot the perpetrator.

They happen more often than most people realize.

They didn't send so many rounds flying around that they accidentally shot a kid down the street (or any other bystander). Just the perp.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo