Indiana law prompts pizzeria to state they will deny catering to gays/lesbians

rushmc

the biggots are the ones that started this
That and lying reporters

... You assume?

Assume????

Hell no

It is out there for everyone to see

Is it? The Pizzeria owner said she was misquoted, did she? That, in fact, she would serve a gay wedding, yeah?

Uuhhh, don't think so Bub.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The difference is, the is no public or media outcry against the Muslim bakers. We all know the Muslims will not tolerate homosexuality but we give them a pass.

Eight years ago there was a public outcry against the people who didn't want to provide service. Now there's a public outcry from the same sources in favor of the people who don't want to provide service.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Bertt

The difference is, the is no public or media outcry against the Muslim bakers. We all know the Muslims will not tolerate homosexuality but we give them a pass.

Eight years ago there was a public outcry against the people who didn't want to provide service. Now there's a public outcry from the same sources in favor of the people who don't want to provide service.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Andy9o8

Henceforth, I shall refuse to do legal work for any lumberjack operas.
Or should I say, any more of them. This seditious trend must be nipped in the bud.

ETA: Oh and Marc - I expect you to contribute to my defense fund.

He will probably just get some cops pension to pay for that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

DanG

I'm a little disappointed that you are perpetuating the confusion between type of services provided, and type of people served. You're a lawyer, you know the difference.

Of course there is a difference. A neo nazi going into a kosher deli. All he wants is a Reuben and a knish.

The thing is, there is a mutability to the characteristics. Some dude is neonazi, nobody has to know. Thats where there is a difference between a black person, a female, etc. and j think there are good reasons for treating women differently. I don't think men should be free to obtain a membership to Curves. It's the lack of men that makes the place what it is.

Saying, "I won't serve gays" is as ridiculous as "gays don't serve in the military." Of course there were gays. But it was just not flaunted. To an extent it still isn't - everyone wears the same uniform.

How many gays has the pizza place served? Hundreds? Thousands? It isn't a problem until someone goes looking for it. And plenty of problems end up being manufactured by those who dexode not tk mind their own business. Im thinking of the bakery in Colorado a couple of years ago where the owner said he'd make cakes but woukdnt decorate them for a gay marriage and was ordered to undergo sensitivity training and submit reports detailing his progress.

I have a problem with this. It is like a re-education. And also shows that respect for people's differences has a policy to be one sided. I personally think that those who are anti-gay are wrong and have long supported granting the same rights and privileges to LGBT as anyone else.

Nevertheless, I think there is a right way to do things. Sympathy for a cause is rarely obtained by compulsion. I can support the goal but not the tactics. And when those tactics are tantamount to mandated conversion therapy then I have the same problem as I did for its intended opposite goal.

lawrocket

Love the cartoon. Kind of sums it up. Their right to decline based upon religious objections should be tolerated, not vilified.

Edit to add: if a muslim cab driver won't take people with dogs or booze, etc. then he won't get much business. and that's his right and his responsibility, as well as his problem. If he wants to be an intolerant idiot, then let him.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

if a muslim cab driver won't take people with dogs or booze, etc. then he won't get much business. and that's his right and his responsibility, as well as his problem.

Having a dog or a bottle of scotch with you is a transient identifier. Being black, female, or gay is part of who you are.

"No shirt, no shoes, no service" is different than "no blacks".

- Dan G

DanG

if a muslim cab driver won't take people with dogs or booze, etc. then he won't get much business. and that's his right and his responsibility, as well as his problem.

Having a dog or a bottle of scotch with you is a transient identifier. Being black, female, or gay is part of who you are.

So are you saying that identifying a gay man is as easy as identifying a female or a black person?

lawrocket

So are you saying that identifying a gay man is as easy as identifying a female or a black person?

Pretty much... just look for the hyper male looking dude who needs to gay bash... to prove he is not "one of those"

DanG

Well put, but is only tertiary to the subject, which is individual rights. If one provides a for-fee public service, is it necessary for one to tolerate that which is anathema? Or must one do so under threat of death?

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Well put, but is only tertiary to the subject, which is individual rights.

Except that it isn't about individual rights.

When you do business, you give up some of those rights. You don't want to do that, you have the right not to do business.

As an individual you have the right to chose not to interact with black people. As a business, you do not have that right.

This really has nothing to do with individual rights.

markharju

Love the cartoon. Kind of sums it up. Their right to decline based upon religious objections should be tolerated, not vilified.

Edit to add: if a muslim cab driver won't take people with dogs or booze, etc. then he won't get much business. and that's his right and his responsibility, as well as his problem. If he wants to be an intolerant idiot, then let him.

mh

+1
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

An individual's rights end when they infringe on another person's rights. As a public business, and owner does not have the right to refuse service to a class of people. Doing so infringes on their rights.

If the baker/pizza guy/photographer doesn't want to interact with the public (all of the public) as a public business, they he doesn't have to. Once they open their doors to the public, they have to treat everyone equally.

- Dan G

DanG

An individual's rights end when they infringe on another person's rights. As a public business, and owner does not have the right to refuse service to a class of people. Doing so infringes on their rights.

If the baker/pizza guy/photographer doesn't want to interact with the public (all of the public) as a public business, they he doesn't have to. Once they open their doors to the public, they have to treat everyone equally.

Sorry
the pizzaria is a private business

government is a public business
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln