Driver1

Indiana law prompts pizzeria to state they will deny catering to gays/lesbians

Does the dimwitted bible-thumper not realise that a pizza order at a gay wedding will be as likely as guests sporting mullet haircuts and stone-washed jeans?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

Does the dimwitted bible-thumper not realise that a pizza order at a gay wedding will be as likely as guests sporting mullet haircuts and stone-washed jeans?

Perhaps the owner... should stone herself for all the other Levitican Laws she is breaking. If one of them is a closely held belief... then all should apply.

grimmie

The news vans will all be rolling in. Then the religious folks will flock there to eat pizza in support. Cue up the media circus in 3.2.1...

What's the over/under on when Hannity interviews the owner?

What is CryBecky's take on all of this.

Amazon

***The news vans will all be rolling in. Then the religious folks will flock there to eat pizza in support. Cue up the media circus in 3.2.1...

I don't think the website is hers. :ph34r:
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Driver1

******The news vans will all be rolling in. Then the religious folks will flock there to eat pizza in support. Cue up the media circus in 3.2.1...

I don't think the website is hers. :ph34r:

Want to bet there are proscribed food items forbidden in the Bible on her menu????
And with her fashion sense.... there have to be a few violations there as well.

It’s not a pick and choose thing... if you are in for one of the laws in your deeply held religious beliefs... you get the whole panoply listed in Leviticus.

Someone did just that. Here's cut/paste:

I went in today to order a large cheese pizza. To my surprise, when I entered the store, I found it deserted. When I asked the worker if it was normally this dead, they responded that due to this new Religious Freedom Restoration Act that they wouldn't serve anyone that would violate their Christian beliefs. So that meant no gays (Leviticus 18:22), no one who eats pork (Leviticus 11:7-8) or shrimp (Deuteronomy 14:9-10), no one who wears fabric made from two different fibers (Leviticus 19:19), no one who plays football (Deuteronomy 14:8), no one who shaves their beard (Leviticus 19:27), no one who works on Sundays (Exodus 20:10), no farmers who grow more than one crop (Leviticus 19:19), no one who curses their parents (Leviticus 20:9). So there was no one left to whom they could sell pizza.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

What I don't like is how people rationalize that making cakes and pizzas, or flower arrangements, landscaping, doctoring, computer repair, whatever - can even be considered part of practicing one's faith.

Faith is supposed to be internal, not pushed on others. Service/business to others is orthogonal to faith - unless one's job is directly administering to another's faith.

So I can see a priest or a rabbi, or a minister refusing to give professional service based on religious beliefs...... but I can't think of many other jobs that would apply.

It's really a disconnect to tie two things totally unrelated together.

Politics is the rationalization of one's whims. Pretty disgusting.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This is what Fox News said about Muslim cashiers in Target stores in Minneapolis who refused to ring up purchases of pork. 'Course, that was way back in 2007. Plenty of time for some people to forget that what goes around, comes around.

As the local Muslim population grows, fueled by immigration from East African countries such as Somalia, efforts by Muslims to live by the rules of their faith often conflict with American realities.

In one dispute, some Muslim cab drivers who serve Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport refuse to take passengers who are carrying alcohol. The Metropolitan Airports Commission is expected to vote in April on a proposal that would hand out 30-day license suspensions to cabbies who refuse service for any reason.

You don't have to outrun the bear.

rehmwa

What I don't like is how people rationalize that making cakes and pizzas, or flower arrangements, landscaping, doctoring, computer repair, whatever - can even be considered part of practicing one's faith.

Faith is supposed to be internal, not pushed on others. Service/business to others is orthogonal to faith - unless one's job is directly administering to another's faith.

So I can see a priest or a rabbi, or a minister refusing to give professional service based on religious beliefs...... but I can't think of many other jobs that would apply.

It's really a disconnect to tie two things totally unrelated together.

Politics is the rationalization of one's whims. Pretty disgusting.

Well ... tangentially think of the "prosperity theologians" where success and financial prosperity becomes part of your closely held belief system. Many subscribe to it.

rehmwa

What I don't like is how people rationalize that making cakes … can even be considered part of practicing one's faith.

I can absolutely understand not putting a certain message on a cake, e.g., if you're a jewish baker and someone wants a cake that says "Happy Kristallnacht anniversary!", or whatever. In fact, I think that a business SHOULD be protected when telling a customer they will not write that message because to require it would be forcing someone to give de facto support to a position. I don't see how selling a cake without that message can cause that much of a drama, though.

HOWEVER, I'm uncertain how I feel about being able to out and out deny business to someone based on their sexual orientation. While I tend towards the strong libertarian position in a lot of cases, I really don't have a good solution here. I CONCEPTUALLY feel that if someone wants to run a business where they don't want to do business with a certain person or group of people, that should be… well, his business. But on the other hand, there are certain types of businesses that everyone does need to be able to have equal access to, such as food, housing, transportation, etc. I don't quite know how to reconcile these issues, so I'd probably file it under "less harm", which is to protect the individuals, not the businesses.

In a general sense I like the idea of the public being able to shun a business if it's run by asswipes, such as this pizza place, but in practice who knows how it'll go in the long run? I'm sure that there are people on the other side of the fence who'll give them extra business for being bigots.
cavete terrae.

grue

I CONCEPTUALLY feel that if someone wants to run a business where they don't want to do business with a certain person or group of people, that should be… well, his business.

In concept, sure, and hopefully market forces would take care of the problem. But you run the risk of going back to the days of shops with signs out front saying "no blacks, no Irish, no dogs gays".

Driver1

And then.... there's this....

http://memoriespizza.com/

:o:D

Well well well, turns out the company hosting the website was getting a lot of abuse so they asked the domain owner to take the offensive material down... And he put up a blank screen with a message. :D

Fortunately, the original content has been saved and put up somewhere else. :D

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/04/01/1374969/-Thanks-For-The-Memories-Pizza

I can absolutely understand not putting a certain message on a cake, e.g., if you're a jewish baker and someone wants a cake that says "Happy Kristallnacht anniversary!", or whatever.

HOWEVER, I'm uncertain...

You see, you can't be uncertain. Because they are exactly the same thing. On one hand you agree that people shouldn't be forced to put "Happy Kristallnacht anniversary!" on a cake, but then question refusal to put to brides on top of a wedding cake. Or maybe even a better example is if someone wanted to buy a cake saying "Happy Anniversary, Neil and Bob". Does the owner get to refuse to make a cake for Neil and Bob?

RMK

This whole thing is a left wing blown out of proportion pile of fermenting cow shit

Go find the whole interview and not just what the bitch that interviewed them put out there

BTW
There now is (already) nearly $20K$30K raised in support of these people beaten up by the tollerant left

People in this country are great!!
They trully understand the bs that is the radical left these days:)
For got the link

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2015/04/02/support-memories-pizza-fund-raises-35000-in-just-five-hours-n1979797

Reported on the radio on my way back to work that with another sight doing the same, they are nearing $200,000.00!!!!!!!
CoolB|
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You see, you can't be uncertain. Because they are exactly the same thing. On one hand you agree that people shouldn't be forced to put "Happy Kristallnacht anniversary!" on a cake, but then question refusal to put to brides on top of a wedding cake. Or maybe even a better example is if someone wanted to buy a cake saying "Happy Anniversary, Neil and Bob". Does the owner get to refuse to make a cake for Neil and Bob?

Because refusing to put "Happy Kristallnacht anniversary!" on a cake is just fine. As long as you refuse to do it for all your customers.

Not supplying pizza to any wedding is fine. Only refusing to supply pizza to gay weddings, not so fine.

The thing is that it's pretty universally ok to hate on Nazis; it's one of the few "everyone does it so it's ok" things out there in America. Used to be ok in the south and some parts of the north to hate on blacks; in other parts, to hate on orientals; WW2 made it just fine to hate on Japanese.

But we're pluralistic enough, and big enough, now, that there is a significant population of nearly all of these groups, or of people who don't think it's ok to hate on them.

So people who define who they are by saying who they aren't, and who then want to legitimize that by hating on those not like them, are kind of fucked.

It's what we get for being a nation of immigrants n the first place.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

The thing is that it's pretty universally ok to hate on Nazis; it's one of the few "everyone does it so it's ok" things out there in America. Used to be ok in the south and some parts of the north to hate on blacks; in other parts, to hate on orientals; WW2 made it just fine to hate on Japanese.

But we're pluralistic enough, and big enough, now, that there is a significant population of nearly all of these groups, or of people who don't think it's ok to hate on them.

So people who define who they are by saying who they aren't, and who then want to legitimize that by hating on those not like them, are kind of fucked.

Wendy P.

Hey Wendy
I was wondering if you seen or read the interview in total?

The girl said they serve anyone who comes into the store
She said it would be wrong not to serve them based on their beleifs
She said that they would not cater a same sex wedign as that is not what they believe

Just wondering if you had seen this
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***The thing is that it's pretty universally ok to hate on Nazis; it's one of the few "everyone does it so it's ok" things out there in America. Used to be ok in the south and some parts of the north to hate on blacks; in other parts, to hate on orientals; WW2 made it just fine to hate on Japanese.

Wendy P.

Hey Wendy
I was wondering if you seen or read the interview in total?

The girl said they serve anyone who comes into the store
She said it would be wrong not to serve them based on their beleifs
She said that they would not cater a same sex wedign as that is not what they believe

Just wondering if you had seen this

Isn't that what the original news story mentioned? Will serve gays for lunch/dinner in the restaurant but not cater their weddings.