Driver1

Indiana law prompts pizzeria to state they will deny catering to gays/lesbians

wmw999

I think that what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If a straight couple that goes to a rigorously conservative church were to want to hire a flamboyantly out-there gay photographer, then the photographer should definitely be just as required to be professional with them.

I would hope that with a good selection of photographers, caterers, and the rest, across the ethnic, gender, and religious spectrum, people would generally choose a contractor that they think would do a good job for them. There are always going to be assholes in the world -- no group is exempt from that.

But then, I think that in the feminism world, women should also be subject to any draft that were to come up.

Wendy P.

. In that same equal treatment for everyone world your describing does a woman hitting a man get the same equal treatment back?

Hitting someone is assault. The definition of child abuse vs spanking is a bruise. I'm ok with that definition for either gender.
So a slap probably isn't actionable; a slug from either one probably is, unless the slugger is really, really, wimpy

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Shotgun

As for the issue, I think it's really hard to have a law that is fair for everyone.

No doubt - even the best attempt at a law to address a sincere concern would most likely be exploited by the hatred of the insincere.

Shotgun

Of course, one of the risks involved when choosing a career or choosing to start a certain kind of business is that things change, and you either need to evolve with the changes or move on. Same-sex marriage is quickly becoming legal throughout our country, and maybe it's time for anyone in a wedding-related business (excluding churches) to realize that they are going to have to provide services without discrimination or get into a different type of business.

Ok...possible Sunday funnies submission:

Gay Couple: Why do you care what gay people do - it's none of your business.

Photographer: You know...you're right. It isn't any of my business.

Gay Couple: Now here's $5 bucks - pick up that camera and get a pic of us snogging.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Your points are 100% correct. If you run a public business (say a burger restaurant) and the KKK Grandwizard comes in (in normal streetwear not his white pointy-hat gear); you're legally obliged to sell him a cheeseburger

However note you are in a discussion with RushMC who seems to believe the more he posts a point the more correct/validated it becomes. Keep it up and you'll get to his Breitbart and Blaze cut/paste level; or Defcon "Crazy" as we could refer to it.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Here is a humorous look at the ridiculousness of "the cultural Marxism known as political correctness."

Here is a video setup of a request for a gay wedding cake from Muslim bakers.

http://patriotupdate.com/2015/04/hidden-camera-gay-wedding-cake-at-muslim-bakeries/
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The difference is, the is no public or media outcry against the Muslim bakers. We all know the Muslims will not tolerate homosexuality but we give them a pass.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

DanG

The Muslim bakeries refusing him service were just as wrong as the Christian ones. What's the difference?

Did you read my question to Wendy?
Will you answer it?
Know one else has

And we know why....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

RonD1120

The difference is, the is no public or media outcry against the Muslim bakers. We all know the Muslims will not tolerate homosexuality but we give them a pass.

I don't think they're getting a pass. How many muslim bakeries do you think are out there? I'm not saying they're not denying service, but naturally it's happening less there as there are WAY less muslim bakeries for this to happen at. Chances are, it hasn't even happened at a muslim bakery (outside of this video set up, which is heavily edited to slant towards the coverage they needed, btw. I would like to see the unedited video, as there are already reports that the editing made this video skewed). I think if this started happening at as many muslim bakeries as christian, it would be getting the same reaction/attention. It's just as wrong.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

rushmc

a gay or lesbian couple who are photographers are approached by a straight couple whose views are known. They know the straight coupledoes agree with gay marriage. should a gay or lesbian couple be allowed to decline because they don't agree with the couple who only believes in straight marriage or should they be forced by the government to do the photography?

Is this the question you're waiting to be answered? I think people's responses would be pretty clear. Mine would be two takes: 1.) if the status quo is nobody can be denied service based on race/religion/creed/sex/sexual orientation, then they would have to provide service to whomever they didn't agree with, which in this case is the gay photographers taking the job of photographing the straight couple who doesn't approve of their lifestyle. or 2.) If laws are in place that say you have to serve a gay couple who walks in to your restaurant for food, but allows you do deny service for their wedding since that then becomes a religious issue (IE: you're OK serving gay people, but not for their union which is where you have the issue based on your religious beliefs), then you are allowed to deny service for the wedding (in this case, deny taking the pictures of the straight couple), because the law would allow people to do that.

So, I think this is where the grey area is. OK, you have to serve the gay guy that walks in to your bake shop. If he orders a slice of cake to eat there, take home, have for a birthday, etc. But when it comes to a wedding, which can be closely tied to religious beliefs, can they deny that? Then the argument comes down to picking and choosing and how far can you take the pick and choose? Can the baker now deny service for just the guy walking in and wanting a slice of cake to eat? Or just deny it for the one event that is particularly tied to religious beliefs? Regardless, if the law allows take 1 or 2 from me, then all parties should be allowed to do what they want within the law based on their religious beliefs.

Maybe the law needs to be clearer? IE: you are allowed to deny service for a religious ceremony like a wedding, but otherwise you have to serve everybody equally? Lay out in exact detail what services fall under the law instead of letting people run rampant with it, denying even the most basic of services, and do what they want because " 'merica! Religion!"

RonD1120

Are the Muslims pestering their state legislatures to enshrine their beliefs in state law?

As an atheist, and therefore quite impartial with respect to supernatural fantasies and delusions, I find Christians to be far far more intrusive in my life than Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Taoists, Buddhists and Rastafarians combined.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In the end this all boils down to the following

those who push these kind of things do not want equal treatment
They want special treatment
They (these groups seeking special treatment) can disagree with you all they will. Live with it cup cake
But
Should you push back against them, they will not stand for it
So, they use government and those they have duped through emotions, to push there views and agenda down everyone elses throats via legislatures and courts

And in most cases the legislatures will not help them so they get the courts to create law
This is where we are at today

The pizza place getting over $500 k in support shows (to me anyway) people are getting tired of it
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

and therefore quite impartial , .

A whooper never to be beaten on this sight

EVER!!
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

In the end this all boils down to the following

They (these groups seeking special treatment) can disagree with you all they will. Live with it cup cake
But
So, they use government and those they have duped through emotions, to push there views and agenda down everyone elses throats via legislatures and courts

And in most cases the legislatures will not help them so they get the courts to create law

The pizza place getting over $500 k in support shows (to me anyway) people are getting tired of it

What are they asking for that is special treatment?

LyraM45

***In the end this all boils down to the following

But

Any group who asks for special protections under law
Abraham Lincoln

The pizza place getting funds raised just shows the natural action/reaction to things. A business doesn't want to serve gays? Fine. Get ready for a reaction to that that both supports your business practice and doesn't support your business practice. In this case, people spoke out against it, and they also supported it by speaking out and having the funds raised. Doesn't mean that people are tired of it, just the natural course of action/reaction to this. Of course there are going to be people that support it, just like they're are going to be people against it and will vote with their feet, wallets, and word of mouth.

rushmc

******In the end this all boils down to the following

But

So as a woman, I am looking for special treatment because there are laws saying I have to be treated the same as a man? I'm asking for special treatment to be allowed to vote like a man votes? Special treatment for me would be you are asking for something.... well, special. In this case, nobody is asking for anything special/different/above and beyond. Just the same as what others are getting. How is that special?

I'll ask again: What are they asking for that is special? That is different than what anybody else gets?

rushmc

*** and therefore quite impartial , .

A whooper never to be beaten on this sight

EVER!!

A selectively edited out of context quote, followed by a gobbledegook comment in mangled English. You're on a roll today, Marc.

LyraM45

*********In the end this all boils down to the following

But

So as a woman, I am looking for special treatment because there are laws saying I have to be treated the same as a man? I'm asking for special treatment to be allowed to vote like a man votes? Special treatment for me would be you are asking for something.... well, special. In this case, nobody is asking for anything special/different/above and beyond. Just the same as what others are getting. How is that special?

I'll ask again: What are they asking for that is special? That is different than what anybody else gets?

You must remember that in Through the Looking Glass world, "equal" means "special".

The Indiana pizza shop that said it wouldn't cater gay weddings has a fundraiser. Now a sausage shop does too, but it's looking to raise money for charity in the name of gay rights.
Chicago Tribune.

Seems to me that so-called Christians would do better donating to a food bank than to a pizza joint run by bigots.

wmw999

But then, I think that in the feminism world, women should also be subject to any draft that were to come up.

Wendy P.

They would be, if they would wear the proper dress, like they should.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

RonD1120

Here is a humorous look at the ridiculousness of "the cultural Marxism known as political correctness."

Here is a video setup of a request for a gay wedding cake from Muslim bakers.

http://patriotupdate.com/2015/04/hidden-camera-gay-wedding-cake-at-muslim-bakeries/

I would have thought that what you are calling "cultural Marxism" would actually be a closer application of the love and forgiveness that the Lord had for his fellow flawed human beings in how they should treat all of their other fellow flawed human beings.

The gospel of exclusion as practiced in so much of this country is not what Jesus taught but that of his convert Pharisee follower who never actually heard the Lord speak.