BIGUN

Bill Cosby

There are about 9 million African-Americans in the US who, thanks largely to the way the Confederate flag has been co-opted by certain white racists as a symbol of their racism . . . ,

Wondering where you got the 9 million number. Googling the US census stats I get:

In 2013, the population of African Americans including those of more than one race was estimated at 45 million, making up 15.2% of the total U.S. population.

Those who identified only as African American made up 13.2% of the U.S. population-over 41.7 million people.

Are you suggesting only 21% of blacks are offended by the flag, or am I missing something?
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

And for some variety after all the reports of adult females Cosby likely sexually assaulted, recently I read:

Bill Cosby lost his latest bid to fend off a lawsuit accusing him of sexually abusing a 15-year-old girl at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles in 1974

[Reuters etc July 22]

Wait, WTF? At the Playboy Mansion?

I'm not blaming the victim, but what exactly was she doing there? Summer jobs for kids at the Playboy Mansion? Guess I don't really know what the place is all about. Just doesn't sound like an "all ages" venue...

Andy9o8

***The entire flag ordeal is just silly.
Get over it already.

There are about 9 million African-Americans in the US who, thanks largely to the way the Confederate flag has been co-opted by certain white racists as a symbol of their racism, feel viscerally about the Confederate flag just as, say, Jews feel about the Swastika, a 1,000 year-old symbol that was co-opted by the Nazis. So while it might be rational for you to wish, for ethically sound reasons, for people to get over it, that's simply not going to happen, at least probably not in your or my lifetime.

How the fuck do you know what's going to happen in his lifetime? Do you plan on killing him because he opposes your whiney politically correct bullshit?

Get over it.

JerryBaumchen

Afternoon, Jerry.

At this point, I think his only saving grace is the statute of limitations.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

regulator

******The entire flag ordeal is just silly.
Get over it already.

There are about 9 million African-Americans in the US who, thanks largely to the way the Confederate flag has been co-opted by certain white racists as a symbol of their racism, feel viscerally about the Confederate flag just as, say, Jews feel about the Swastika, a 1,000 year-old symbol that was co-opted by the Nazis. So while it might be rational for you to wish, for ethically sound reasons, for people to get over it, that's simply not going to happen, at least probably not in your or my lifetime.

How the fuck do you know what's going to happen in his lifetime? Do you plan on killing him because he opposes your whiney politically correct bullshit?

Get over it.really?

Are seriously defending Cosby?

(Ron Wesley voice) you really need to sort out your priorities(/rwv)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

To me... this is prosecutorial misconduct and grandstanding. Where's the police report from 12 years ago.

It is unfortunate in some cases that prosecutors are protected and have immunity for their actions.

After several hours of reading the Pennsylvania code... I'm changing my position. Quite frankly, I'm just lost on this one. So many years to wait, then once one comes out, 39 others join in. I do think this is going to be a long road to hoe for everyone involved.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Given this writeup, I think the balance has tipped rather against Cosby.

It's a pity that any good points he ever may have made are now subject to ad hominem (circumstantial) dismissal.

In a sense, many of his rants are actually substantiated by his track record as much as Bernie Madoff noting that the outrage against him was unfounded, given that the Government was a Ponzi scheme. The old 'it takes one to know one.'

When he said that fucking anything in sight was not a good thing, I don't think he excepted himself from that observation.

I have met women who claimed that no meant yes, that it was just teasing and playing hard to get, and those who claimed to have rape fantasies, but all that seems to be a fucked-up flip side of the same coin. The very existence of that mindset (rare though it may be) only seems to bolster the self-image your average rapist as being the last of the red hot lovers, and the illusion that their objects of affection actually love every second of it.

One writer pointed out that Cosby is as much a necrophiliac as a rapist. Getting aroused by a someone who is completely unresponsive is as incomprehensible as is getting aroused by someone who is screaming in terror. I don't get either.

In any event, Cosby is pretty much toast at this point.

BSBD,

Winsor

20 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

he was released on a technicality

yes. basically a version of double jeopardy, which is news to me. Sounds like the court said if the announces that he won't prosecute you for a crime, and then you admit to it, you can't be prosecuted again...

Just now, SethInMI said:

yes. basically a version of double jeopardy, which is news to me. Sounds like the court said if the announces that he won't prosecute you for a crime, and then you admit to it, you can't be prosecuted again...

No, that's wrong. It's nothing to do with double jeopardy.

It's because he was induced to incriminate himself by a prosecutor who promised not to use those incriminating statements against him, then they were used. 5th Amendment violation. If he'd been convicted without his statements being used against him (and in hindsight it's hard to imagine that the rest of the case against him wouldn't have been strong enough to hold up at trial) then that conviction would have been solid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

Hi Seth,

the court found that Cosby's due process rights were violated when he was charged for a 2004 assault after prosecutors previously promised the comedian they wouldn't bring criminal charges against him.

Bill Cosby's Sexual Assault Conviction Overturned By Pennsylvania Court : NPR

I have to agree with the court.

Cosby is an old man who will never work in the entertainment industry again.

Constand got him for $3.38 million.

Some justice for her; little for the other victims.

Jerry Baumchen