riddler

Storing gun in a car

In an article about a teen shooting and killing another teen, one officer quoted as saying

"There's not a police department in the country that allows guns to be stored in a car," he said.

I find that statement to be interesting, coming from a police officer. Maybe he meant to say "in the county" ?

Here is text of the article:

A gun reported stolen by a legal owner earlier this month was used to kill a 14-year-old Chicago girl on Monday, police Supt. Garry McCarthy said.
"This was a fistfight that turned to a murder with the introduction of a firearm," McCarthy told reporters as he announced homicide charges against another teen in connection with the shooting death of 14-year-old Endia Martin.

The defendant's name was not publicly released due to her age, but the Cook County State's Attorney's Office said she is also 14 years old and was charged as a juvenile with murder.
Two other people, including the shooting suspect's uncle, were in custody, McCarthy said.

McCarthy said the teens were arguing over a boy before the gun was pulled. He said the weapon's legal owner reported the gun stolen from a vehicle on April 14.

"There's not a police department in the country that allows guns to be stored in a car," he said.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-india-martin-homicide-charges-257160361.html#ixzz30J27nUsC

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

SkyCoi

I guess what you're saying is that it is "not smart" for you, right? Because no way would you be telling me or anyone else what is and isn't smart without any factual basis, right?

No. I meant precisely what I wrote. No more. No less.

"Legal does not equal smart." Goes along with, "Not everything that is legal is safe and not everything that is safe is legal."

It's not a judgement on storing the gun in a car per se, but that just because something is "legal" in a state doesn't mean it's a particularly smart thing to do.

Storing a gun in a car comes with certain risks. I leave it up to the person involved to determine if the risk is "worth it" for a particular situation. The gun falling into the hands of criminal is definitely higher than if the gun were not in the car at all.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have CC permits in FL and GA so it is not a problem for me. In FL it is permissible under certain conditions. In GA I think it is permissible without restriction, other than ownership of the car.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

quade

Legal does not equal smart.

Maybe we should let the police store all our weapons, then we can ask for them when we need to protect ourselves.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

Legal does not equal smart.

but smart often means illegal, then.

if you're taking gun from location A to location B, but have to make a stop (however brief) at location C where you're not permitted to bring weapon, then there aren't a lot of options, are there?

is it smarter to commit a felony?

RonD1120

I have CC permits in FL and GA so it is not a problem for me. In FL it is permissible under certain conditions. In GA I think it is permissible without restriction, other than ownership of the car.

And here I thought God was your co-pilot.

jclalor

***I have CC permits in FL and GA so it is not a problem for me. In FL it is permissible under certain conditions. In GA I think it is permissible without restriction, other than ownership of the car.

I would want my body guard to be more adept at weapons and my Co-Pilot more responsible for direction.

But hey - you do it any way you wish.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Legality aside, leaving anything valuable in a car is on the dim side of the light bulb wattage scale. How many people do we all know who have had something stolen from their car, even if it wasn't in plain sight?

Sure, there are times when it might be necessary to leave it in your vehicle briefly as in the example one poster used above, but…
cavete terrae.

jclalor

***I have CC permits in FL and GA so it is not a problem for me. In FL it is permissible under certain conditions. In GA I think it is permissible without restriction, other than ownership of the car.

Wrong, God is my pilot. I ride shotgun.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Given the ease with which cars can be entered and stolen, I consider it incredibly STUPID to store anything valuable in a car, and especially so in the case of a firearm.

Over 230,000 guns are stolen every year, every one of them by a criminal.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Given the ease with which cars can be entered and stolen, I consider it incredibly STUPID to store anything valuable in a car, and especially so in the case of a firearm.

What do you suggest when someone with a CC permit must enter a legally defined gun free zone, such as a public school?

RonD1120

What do you suggest when someone with a CC permit must enter a legally defined gun free zone, such as a public school?

Leave it in the car, so a criminal can grab it and bring it into the school...:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

RonD1120

See post #17.

kallend

Not a bit easier to get into than the average home. I would in fact say a car is MUCH harder to break into than a home. Car windows are safety glass that is very hard to break compared to the windows of a home. Hell the walls of most new homes is nothing but styrafoam covered siding that you could kick through.