skinnay

Conservatives continue to fight Tesla

skinnay

Can someone explain the logic of conservatives doing everything in their power to ban Tesla from selling cars? This is a company investing Billions in manufacturing IN THE US. Aren't conservatives the ones who believe in a free market?

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/defending-innovation-and-consumer-choice-new-jersey

Though it's possible this is really about conservatives hating EVs, the more plausible explanation is that NADA contributes over 10M/year to federal races while Tesla does not. Distributors (be it cars or alcohol) fight hard to protect their advantage.

kelpdiver

***Can someone explain the logic of conservatives doing everything in their power to ban Tesla from selling cars? This is a company investing Billions in manufacturing IN THE US. Aren't conservatives the ones who believe in a free market?

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/defending-innovation-and-consumer-choice-new-jersey

Though it's possible this is really about conservatives hating EVs, the more plausible explanation is that NADA contributes over 10M/year to federal races while Tesla does not. Distributors (be it cars or alcohol) fight hard to protect their advantage.

i agree. NJ is a very liberal state with a moderate Republican governor. This story is about dealers monopoly and Tesla trying to break it. Tesla wants to sell direct to the public and dealers want to create new dealerships. I do not see this about liberal verse conservative. this is NJ politics at its best. one very powerful group wanting to retain their control over a market.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

weekender

******Can someone explain the logic of conservatives doing everything in their power to ban Tesla from selling cars? This is a company investing Billions in manufacturing IN THE US. Aren't conservatives the ones who believe in a free market?

i agree. NJ is a very liberal state with a moderate Republican governor. This story is about dealers monopoly and Tesla trying to break it. Tesla wants to sell direct to the public and dealers want to create new dealerships. I do not see this about liberal verse conservative. this is NJ politics at its best. one very powerful group wanting to retain their control over a market.

Can't you just hear the rage from conservatives who have their core values undermined by Christie? :D

skinnay

*********Can someone explain the logic of conservatives doing everything in their power to ban Tesla from selling cars? This is a company investing Billions in manufacturing IN THE US. Aren't conservatives the ones who believe in a free market?

Can't you just hear the rage from conservatives who have their core values undermined by Christie? :D

i live in Bergen County NJ, so i do not know any conservatives. i imagine they would support Christie because he is sticking up for NJ companies over a hippie California green company. Of course, REAL conservatives dont like Christie because he is a Pres Obama loving RINO. general rule of thumb, a NJ Republican is a Democrat in any other state, hah.

NJ is a very old state with a lot of powerful special interests and way too many politicians, which makes it worse. every little town has a mayor, city manager and city council. i did a quick count and Bergen County has 70 gov'ts in only 240 sq miles. thats only one county. with that many politicians the state is always a mess.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

skinnay

Can someone explain the logic of conservatives doing everything in their power to ban Tesla from selling cars? This is a company investing Billions in manufacturing IN THE US. Aren't conservatives the ones who believe in a free market?

Do you...yourself own one of these things? Looked it up as I've never heard of the brand before. Looks like a nice car...however is there a large market for this type product? I guess the other issue I would have, not knowing a damn thing about the car...where does a fella power this thing up when on a road trip? Or is this vehicle strictly for motoring around close to home at a monthly payment of $600.00+ As a conservative I have no interest, well at least for the moment.

Do you...yourself own one of these things? Looked it up as I've never heard of the brand before. Looks like a nice car...however is there a large market for this type product? I guess the other issue I would have, not knowing a damn thing about the car...where does a fella power this thing up when on a road trip? Or is this vehicle strictly for motoring around close to home at a monthly payment of $600.00+ As a conservative I have no interest, well at least for the moment.

There are charging stations in various cities around the country, but the infrastructure is still being developed. Most car trips are well within the range of the Tesla, but you're right, it's not currently ideal for a road trip car.

On the other hand, the Model S is reported to be wicked fast, a ton of fun to drive, and very comfortable. It's intended to compete against Mercedes and high end BMWs, not Hondas and Chevys.

- Dan G

weekender

************Can someone explain the logic of conservatives doing everything in their power to ban Tesla from selling cars? This is a company investing Billions in manufacturing IN THE US. Aren't conservatives the ones who believe in a free market?

i live in Bergen County NJ, so i do not know any conservatives. i imagine they would support Christie because he is sticking up for NJ companies over a hippie California green company. Of course, REAL conservatives dont like Christie because he is a Pres Obama loving RINO. general rule of thumb, a NJ Republican is a Democrat in any other state, hah.

NJ is a very old state with a lot of powerful special interests and way too many politicians, which makes it worse. every little town has a mayor, city manager and city council. i did a quick count and Bergen County has 70 gov'ts in only 240 sq miles. thats only one county. with that many politicians the state is always a mess.

King Henry I of England died of a "surfeit of lampreys". The USA is in danger of falling to a "surfeit of politicians".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DanG

There are charging stations in various cities around the country, but the infrastructure is still being developed. Most car trips are well within the range of the Tesla, but you're right, it's not currently ideal for a road trip car.

On the other hand, the Model S is reported to be wicked fast, a ton of fun to drive, and very comfortable. It's intended to compete against Mercedes and high end BMWs, not Hondas and Chevys.

The Supercharger network is growing nicely. http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
Remster

>however is there a large market for this type product?

Not a large one. There are only two models on sale now - the Tesla model S (about 20,000 a year) and a Toyota that uses the Tesla drivetrain and battery. They've just started selling the Toyota; I think they are up to about 2000 now.

The Tesla Model X is coming out soon. The Roadster has been discontinued.

I guess the other issue I would have, not knowing a damn thing about the car...where does a fella power this thing up when on a road trip?

Tesla is putting in a proprietary charger network that will give you most of a full charge within about 30 minutes. You can currently drive across the country and up and down the east and west coasts charging only from this network. You can also use standard EV chargers, and you can use adapters to use regular outlets (for slow charging) or outlets at RV parks (for faster charging.)

billvon

Not a large one. There are only two models on sale now - the Tesla model S (about 20,000 a year) and a Toyota that uses the Tesla drivetrain and battery. They've just started selling the Toyota; I think they are up to about 2000 now.

I guess the other issue I would have, not knowing a damn thing about the car...where does a fella power this thing up when on a road trip?

Tesla is putting in a proprietary charger network that will give you most of a full charge within about 30 minutes. You can currently drive across the country and up and down the east and west coasts charging only from this network. You can also use standard EV chargers, and you can use adapters to use regular outlets (for slow charging) or outlets at RV parks (for faster charging.)

Isn't there talk of a battery swap idea as well? (only embryonic at this stage I believe)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

billvon

>Isn't there talk of a battery swap idea as well?

Yes, but I have serious doubts that anyone will be willing to swap their brand new $40,000 battery for a perhaps-cruddy one at a swap station.

Perhaps you can set the system up such that you buy a car but never buy a battery just rent them... then it would matter 'less' if your received a cruddy one every now and then.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

billvon

Umm..you can do that if you want to stop for 30 minutes every 4 hours. Hope there's an open spot at the supercharger or you could be in for an even longer wait. Frankly, I think the range number is a myth with the a/c blowing on a 90 degree day. And the electricity won't be free forever.

Bottom line is this company still doesn't work without the tax credits. I'm sure Elon has the cash to float it for awhile but I don't think the stockholders will be impressed.

I know, I know...it's green and that's cool.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Umm..you can do that if you want to stop for 30 minutes every 4 hours. Hope there's an open spot at the supercharger or you could be in for an even longer wait. Frankly, I think the range number is a myth with the a/c blowing on a 90 degree day. And the electricity won't be free forever.

There's a sufficient number of users out there to confirm the range. We heard this assertion with Prius batteries too, and they were soundly debunked.

Tesla did create a new market; prior to the S, the range for an EV was 40-100 miles. 40 is effective worthless, 100 is fair, but 200 will satisfy most. I haven't driven more than 130 miles in a stretch in an least a year. But I probably would not choose to use it to drive to LA, which is slightly over 400. I do take a half hour break to eat on the way, but not twice.

So if I had 100k to drop on this car, it would be fine. My Subaru would address the times I need range or the ability to throw wet dive gear in the back.

>Umm..you can do that if you want to stop for 30 minutes every 4 hours. Hope
>there's an open spot at the supercharger or you could be in for an even longer
>wait.

Not many times in my life I've had to be able to drive for more than 4 hours straight without stopping. Nor have there been many times that I've driven 4 hours then stopped for no more than the minimum time it takes to get gas. Perhaps if you are a traveling salesman it wouldn't work too well.

Electric cars aren't for everyone, but they do work for a lot of people. It's nice not paying anything for fuel.

billvon

Electric cars aren't for everyone, but they do work for a lot of people. It's nice not paying anything for fuel.

Other than the extra 30 or 40k that the S costs over a nice similar, gas/diesel powered Audi. And the extra DMV registration fee each year based on sale price.

Whether or not they get incremental charging for free, they paid for it, and dearly. And may their indulgence benefit more of us in the 3rd and 4th generation models.

skinnay

Can someone explain the logic of conservatives doing everything in their power to ban Tesla from selling cars?

Sure.

The car dealers have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo where they profit on every new vehicle sold or leased, gain customers for their profitable service businesses, and have a steady stream of trade-in vehicles to profit from.

This is a company investing Billions in manufacturing IN THE US. Aren't conservatives the ones who believe in a free market?

This is a company which is NOT giving the car dealers a slice of their millions.