skinnay

Conservatives continue to fight Tesla

richravizza

Wow,
read the Peice don't think Conservitive has anything to do with it.
In order to sell a car, you have to fallow Regulations, I'm sure the Free Fuel thing is a LIttle Confusing, with road use,tax laws, DMV and all.

Free fuel may be a LIttle Confusing, but as long as you remember to fallow the gidelines and pul your pilot shoot on tIme yourll be OK.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Umm..you can do that if you want to stop for 30 minutes every 4 hours.

My wife and I frequently take road trips in the neighborhood of 400 to 700 miles. I tend to stop at 210 miles on average with the low being 180 miles and high end 300. I like to stop at least 20 minutes otherwise my back hurts a lot. That said a Tesla would force us to stop earlier on average and take longer at the stop. Not paying for fuel or paying $3 to go 200 miles would allow me to get over that.

Frankly, I think the range number is a myth with the a/c blowing on a 90 degree day. And the electricity won't be free forever.

If you buy the supercharger option it's free forever, which happens to be standard on the 85kwh model (largest range battery). The 85kwh model Tesla originally quoted as 300 mile range. Around town that's still the case. The EPA test throws in more highway driving bumping the rated range to 265 miles. Throw in 90 degree day and 90mph highway speed and you can lower the range to 200 miles.

Bottom line is this company still doesn't work without the tax credits. I'm sure Elon has the cash to float it for awhile but I don't think the stockholders will be impressed.

Why? It's only 10% of the cost of a medium range Model S. They'd still sell at a 10% higher price.

I know, I know...it's green and that's cool.

No, it's cool because you can beat a Porsche on the highway off ramp, looks sexy, and doesn't need oil changes.

Out of curiosity, if a company builds a multi-billion dollar infrastructure but doesn't turn a profit, is that still a problem? Amazon was one of those companies that wasn't profitable for a decade but all the while grew into a powerhouse that's a behemoth in retail by reinvesting the capital.

It kind of sucks that Tesla has to play these political theatrics when Elon is trying to displace an existing entrenched industry. It's not like Boeing, Northrop or any other US based aviation manufacturer would exist without the same help. Tesla for some reason has to pretend profitability and worry about how the loans looked in addition to building a revolutionary car that won car of the year with haters on every corner.