davjohns

Your self-assessed political orientation

I'm sure we've done this before. I just see so many people accusing other people of being 'left wing', 'right wing', and much less pleasant descriptions. I'm guessing our microcosm is similar to the outside world: very little 'wing' and a muddy middle.

I tend strongly toward Libertarian / cynical...which I consider fairly centrist. Others don't.

So, where do you place yourself? Anyone going to post their membership card to one 'wing' or another? :D
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

muff528

Everyone is a centrist. Everyone else is either a wingnut or a wackadoodle.

My point exactly.

Jerry - agreed. My interpretation of Libertarian is pretty much, "I'm in the middle...now leave me alone!"

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

I'm sure we've done this before. I just see so many people accusing other people of being 'left wing', 'right wing', and much less pleasant descriptions. I'm guessing our microcosm is similar to the outside world: very little 'wing' and a muddy middle.

I tend strongly toward Libertarian / cynical...which I consider fairly centrist. Others don't.

So, where do you place yourself? Anyone going to post their membership card to one 'wing' or another? :D

In the US - I am on the left, in the rest of the world, the right (with exactly the same opinions!). So on average - slap bang in the middle :D
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Socially liberal (except I don't like abortion, and think criminals should be punished... But I don't care who you marry and if you want to smoke pot I could not care less as long as you are not on the govt tit... Same goes for smoking and alcohol).

Fiscally conservative. I think you should get to keep what you earn. I also realize that we have to pay taxes, but want them to be as low as possible and do not like big govt.

>So, where do you place yourself?

Here I am on the liberal side of things due to my opinions on war, energy and the environment. On the science forums I post on, I am considered a conservative based on my comments on women's rights, the government shutdown, energy and the size of government. I am often asked there if I'm still proud I voted for Bush.

Personally I think everyone should be free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I think government has a role in making sure people DON'T hurt anyone else - and that includes laws against crime, fraud, pollution and possession of dangerous biological and chemical materials.

Overall government should be a lot smaller than it is now. Taxes should be raised and spending should be cut in approximately equal amounts to close the budget gap - and then we should hold there until we build up a surplus again, and keep it to fund the government during the next recession. The military, Social Security and Medicare have got to start ramping down their spending - and most of our cuts should come from those three areas.

Overall government should be a lot smaller than it is now. Taxes should be raised and spending should be cut in approximately equal amounts to close the budget gap - and then we should hold there until we build up a surplus again, and keep it to fund the government during the next recession. The military, Social Security and Medicare have got to start ramping down their spending - and most of our cuts should come from those three areas.

Agree with pretty much everything said here, except you say nothing about paying off your debts. I don't like paying high taxes, but taxes in the US could be higher as other Western nations survive with higher tax rates than the US has. Or another approach could be to close some of the tax loop holes you have. Outside of the lawyers and accountants who resist all changes to their gravy trains, the tax codes could be simplified to the benefit of most people. Plus there is no reason why the US should be spending as much money on their military as you do. If the USA does not control it's spending, and do this soon, you guys will go down and you will bring most of the global economy if not all of it down with you. Every dominant society in the history of humanity has fallen, and the USA is no different than those who came before it. The "Culture of Entitlement" (this includes those dependent on military spending) is simply not sustainable.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

if you want to smoke pot I could not care less as long as you are not on the govt tit... Same goes for smoking and alcohol).

I don't get this. Are you saying that people who receive government assistance should not be allowed to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes?

- Dan G

DanG

if you want to smoke pot I could not care less as long as you are not on the govt tit... Same goes for smoking and alcohol).

I don't get this. Are you saying that people who receive government assistance should not be allowed to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes?

If you are so poor that you need taxpayer help to cover your bills, should part of that money go to $5-$10 per pack cigarettes?

I'm really not against aid to the poor, but seeing people on SNAP use the EBT card for food and then pull out a big wad of cash to pay for their cigarettes and beer is a little annoying.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If you are so poor that you need taxpayer help to cover your bills, should part of that money go to $5-$10 per pack cigarettes?

I'm really not against aid to the poor, but seeing people on SNAP use the EBT card for food and then pull out a big wad of cash to pay for their cigarettes and beer is a little annoying.

I can see how that would be annoying, but where do you draw the line? What about people on Social Security? Or people geting disability? Do we want the government telling them what they can buy?

- Dan G

davjohns

I generally vote for adults--people who actually act like they meet the Constitutional age minimum of 25 to serve in the House--as opposed to spoiled children. My preference is to vote conservative to libertarian, but if none of the conservatives or libertarians are acting like adults, I'll consider a Democrat who puts themselves forward to provide some needed adult supervision.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

muff528

Everyone is a centrist. Everyone else is either a wingnut or a wackadoodle.

Actually, that's pretty close.

I can boil my political views down to two phrases, and then from there boil it down to one:

TWO PHRASES:
1.) I am very liberal in the way I believe people should be allowed to live their lives;

and

2.) I am very conservative in how I want to see my money taken away from me, and how it is spent once it IS taken from me.

OR, in ONE PHRASE:

1.) Do whatever the hell you want, as long as it doesn't cost me anything

Elvisio "thank you for listening" Rodriguez

DanG

I can see how that would be annoying, but where do you draw the line? What about people on Social Security? Or people geting disability? Do we want the government telling them what they can buy?

I don't know where to draw the line. Or even how to draw it and enforce it. I don't see SS or Disability where the abuse lies.

But I do believe that able-bodied people on government assistance (my tax dollars) should be at least somewhat limited in their aquisition of luxury items. The SNAP program (and it's predecessor, Food Stamps) do this to a certain degree by limiting what can be purchased with those dollars.

But they don't limit what the person receiving aid can purchase with their other money.

And I have to admit that there probably isn't any way to implement any real restrictions without a whole lot more "Big Brother" than I am willing to see applied.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DanG

How do you feel about giving drug tests to people in public housing? Is it their right to stay stoned or become drug addicts?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I call my self Libertarian, though I don't think people would call me a centrist.

I'm self described as "fiscally conservative and socially fabulous!" while being extremely cynical about stuff I don't think is proven one way or the other (cough...global warming...cough:ph34r:)

I believe that a person should be able to do as he wishes as long as he does no harm to others.

Problems being, a lot of people are to self centered or ignorant on some matters to understand the harm to others their actions cause.

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

This has got to be some kind of record. I don't see a single objectionable post here.

> Or another approach could be to close some of the tax loop holes you have. Outside
>of the lawyers and accountants who resist all changes to their gravy trains, the tax
>codes could be simplified to the benefit of most people.

Definitely agreed - although at this point "closing loopholes" and "trimming fat" is not enough; we need a lot more than that.

>Plus there is no reason why the US should be spending as much money on their military
>as you do.

Also agreed.

>If the USA does not control it's spending, and do this soon, you guys will go down and
>you will bring most of the global economy if not all of it down with you.

Unfortunately I have a feeling we will (once again) do the absolute minimum we have to do to prevent complete default - then say "we win!" and punt the problem to the next batch of politicians.

Someone clicked 'Left Wing'. Nobody has admitted to 'Right Wing' as yet. Lots of people love boobies, though. Makes you wonder why we haven't had a supermodel / president.

Obama blows Muslim goats! Bush rules!!!

There, that should make this thread a little more "Speaker's Corner.":D:D:D
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Bush rules!!!

Huh -- I thought guys liked the hairless look these days :)

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Bush rules!!!

Huh -- I thought guys liked the hairless look these days :)

Wendy P.

Umm..., ya..., Ok..., uhhh..., you got me...:$:ph34r: