davjohns

Your self-assessed political orientation

wayneflorida

***Obama blows Muslim goats! Bush rules!!!

There, that should make this thread a little more "Speaker's Corner.":D:D:D

Not my goats. No harm no foul.:D

He just spied on yours while he was doing the deed.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I can't answer the question. I vote based on the person, their platform and what I think is best for the country/province/city/ school board etc at that time.

That could mean that I vote liberal provincially, but conservative federally, only to turn that around 4 years later.

If someone is doing something that doesn't affect the life, liberty or property of someone else without their permission, there is no ground to oppose that action.

I support the legalization of all drugs for use by adults in their own home, as long as they are not exposing children to the drugs, or operating vehicles/machinery. It's worthwhile to note that I do not and never have drunk alcohol or used any drug, so it's not a fight I have a dog in. That said, I think it's all disgusting and I don't really want to see it, but I'm not going to tell people what they can or cannot do with their own body.

I think people should be discouraged from having children in general, because the population growth rate worldwide is unsustainable, and abortions should be available until whatever point the medical system thinks is generally appropriate.

Marriage is archaic, stupid and people who do it are nuts. But the government shouldn't be involved with it in any way, in any context. There's no reason two men, two women, three men and one woman, or any other combination of consenting adults should not be allowed to get married if they can find someone to do the procedure. If the government insists on having some sort of system to track relationships for tax purposes, etc, there can be a register of domestic relationships that anyone can register to.

I feel that a government intentionally killing their own citizens without a trial should result in everyone involved being put on trial for murder, and the same for the DroneStrikes4Fun™ policy that's been going on for a while.

Cops that do horrible shit on duty should be held personally accountable for their actions, including payouts to victims and serving prison time. This includes inappropriate raids, shooting dogs, so forth. Cops should be held to a MUCH higher standard than the public when it comes to behavior.

Capital punishment cannot be undone, and the government cannot be trusted to get it right 100% of the time. I'm not willing to die for a broken system and I don't expect anyone else to, so I cannot support capital punishment.

I'd rather have 100 murderers free than 1 innocent person serving time.

I don't think people in Washington can possibly understand the educational needs of someone in Oregon, and see no reason why they should be involved.

Supporting Israel hurts us far more than it helps us.

Saudi Arabia aren't our friends, neither are China.

Modern nuclear power is rad.

The DHS and NSA are poxy bands of assholes.

The violation of peoples' rights in regards to border searches is ridiculous.

Health care got to the "broken" state it was in because of bad legislation, and more bad legislation isn't the way to fix it.

I already had two parents, I don't need the government telling me I'm not allowed to play poker online.

Farmers should not be paid to not grow crops, and the subsidy/tariff system that exists currently is preposterous. There are also a bunch of ridiculous laws regarding people making cheese and diary that are just insane. I'm sure there's plenty of more to bitch about in this category.

Parks belong to the people, let the people BASE jump in them if they're only gonna hurt themselves.

If someone wants to die but can't do it himself, people should be able to help. It's only murder or manslaughter if there's not consent.

Taxes are stealing.

Sometimes people need help. It's ok to give them a hand to get up, don't give them a handout.

So where's that leave me?
cavete terrae.

Stumpy

Taxes are stealing.

Fair enough on most of it whether I agree or not, but interested about this, for example - do you want roads?

I accept that certain infrastructure has to be built so I can accept a small amount of taxation for that stuff, I'm at least somewhat realistic. It's when the money stolen from me goes to killing brown folk who've done nothing to me that I start to get annoyed. The less money we spend on stupid bullshit is the less money that has to be stolen from me.
cavete terrae.

I would be happy to claim you in the Libertarian camp. We've got boobies!

Pretty much agree on the taxes issue. The Feds need certain minimal revenue to effect international commerce regulation, national defence, diplomacy, etc. Most of the things currently done by the Fed should be done by States or lower. To me, schools should be a local issue run by people with a vested intererest in them. There shouldn't be a US Dept of Education to tell people in Alaska how to train their children. Reserved Powers were erased by taxes. Confirms how evil they are.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I like Grue's list. (even worth coming out ----briefly---- of my absence from the normal crap here)

Extremely Libertarian, certainly not Rep, absolutely not Dem.

(I don't think cops should be held to a different standard though - I am opposed to the idea that the average guy gets a lesser standard. EVERYONE should be held to the standard that we expect from cops. i.e., cops don't get away with crap because of their position. Someone commits a crime, I don't care if they are wearing a swimsuit, or a badge, a suit, or a sports uniform during a game for that matter - it's a crime - take appropriate action, arrest immediately, fair trial - no exceptions better or worse than the next guy.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If someone is doing something that doesn't affect the life, liberty or property of someone else without their permission, there is no ground to oppose that action.

Who decides? Somebody starting an asbestos processing business in the property beside me may or may not effect my long term health. How do you propose that wuold work?

I support the legalization of all drugs for use by adults in their own home, as long as they are not exposing children to the drugs, or operating vehicles/machinery.

Who covers the additional strain on the health care system?

I think people should be discouraged from having children in general, because the population growth rate worldwide is unsustainable

That system only works if you are ok with immigrants providing the growth a country requires.

Marriage is archaic, stupid and people who do it are nuts. But the government shouldn't be involved with it in any way, in any context. There's no reason two men, two women, three men and one woman, or any other combination of consenting adults should not be allowed to get married if they can find someone to do the procedure. If the government insists on having some sort of system to track relationships for tax purposes, etc, there can be a register of domestic relationships that anyone can register to.

Agreed

I feel that a government intentionally killing their own citizens without a trial should result in everyone involved being put on trial for murder, and the same for the DroneStrikes4Fun™ policy that's been going on for a while.

Cops that do horrible shit on duty should be held personally accountable for their actions, including payouts to victims and serving prison time. This includes inappropriate raids, shooting dogs, so forth. Cops should be held to a MUCH higher standard than the public when it comes to behavior.

Cops should be held accountable, but not to a higher standard.

Capital punishment cannot be undone, and the government cannot be trusted to get it right 100% of the time. I'm not willing to die for a broken system and I don't expect anyone else to, so I cannot support capital punishment.

Agreed

I don't think people in Washington can possibly understand the educational needs of someone in Oregon, and see no reason why they should be involved.

I have no problem with a country stating the minimum standard of education.

Parks belong to the people, let the people BASE jump in them if they're only gonna hurt themselves.

And when they land on a person camping, killing them. Who deals with damages? Who pays for search and rescue when a BASE jumper has to be rescued?

Taxes are stealing.***

Don't agree

A lot of these Libertarian ideas make for wonderful sound bites. Nobody seems to be able to truly explain how it would work though.

Libertarianism is the same as pure communism. Sounds wonderful, but will never work.

SkyDekker

Who decides? Somebody starting an asbestos processing business in the property beside me may or may not effect my long term health. How do you propose that wuold work?

If the business's waste/emissions/whatever are known to be harmful and come onto your property, it's a clear violation of that tenet.

SkyDekker

Who covers the additional strain on the health care system?

Choices have consequences. If you aren't prepared to deal with the higher insurance cost as a drug user like smokers have to, tough love.

SkyDekker

That system only works if you are ok with immigrants providing the growth a country requires.

Why is growth required? So we can overpopulate and decrease quality of life?

SkyDekker

Cops should be held accountable, but not to a higher standard.

A couple people have mentioned that and in retrospect that's probably a better wya of thinking of it. They're still human. Barely.

SkyDekker

I have no problem with a country stating the minimum standard of education.

I do when the country is saying everyone should have a university education, when that's patently ridiculous. It's also abundantly clear that the fedgov's interference in school programs currently harms far more than it helps.

SkyDekker

And when they land on a person camping, killing them. Who deals with damages? Who pays for search and rescue when a BASE jumper has to be rescued?

If you land on someone, it wasn't safe to jump and you should be changed with manslaughter or whatever, as you have violated that central tenet of "do not affect the life, liberty or property of someone else". Damages are paid for by the jumper. Search and rescue paid for by the jumper.

Again, actions have consequences. Skydivers and BASE jumpers should understand that better than anybody.

SkyDekker

A lot of these Libertarian ideas make for wonderful sound bites. Nobody seems to be able to truly explain how it would work though.

Libertarianism is the same as pure communism. Sounds wonderful, but will never work.

I disagree with your opinion but I'll defend until my death your right to speak it.
cavete terrae.

SkyDekker wrote:.Who decides? Somebody starting an asbestos processing business in the property beside me may or may not effect my long term health. How do you propose that wuold work?

If the business's waste/emissions/whatever are known to be harmful and come onto your property, it's a clear violation of that tenet.

They can only be known to be hazardous through (government funded and regulated) research, or because actual harm takes place. I specifically used asbestos int his example, since effects can be more than 20 years after continued exposure. If your neighbours have died, you would have no recourse at all. How would this work in the libertarian example?

SkyDekker wrote:.Who covers the additional strain on the health care system?

Choices have consequences. If you aren't prepared to deal with the higher insurance cost as a drug user like smokers have to, tough love.

Som if they can't pay, let them die? Does that also include complications from a bad diet due to a lack of financial resources?

SkyDekker wrote:.That system only works if you are ok with immigrants providing the growth a country requires.

Why is growth required? So we can overpopulate and decrease quality of life?

Not just growth, but at a minimum you would want to maintain current population levels.

SkyDekker wrote:.I have no problem with a country stating the minimum standard of education.

I do when the country is saying everyone should have a university education, when that's patently ridiculous. It's also abundantly clear that the fedgov's interference in school programs currently harms far more than it helps.

Right, but I don't know too many coutnries where that is the case. I was thinking more along the lines of minimum language skills, minimum math skills, minimum science skills etc.

davjohns

I'm sure we've done this before. I just see so many people accusing other people of being 'left wing', 'right wing', and much less pleasant descriptions. I'm guessing our microcosm is similar to the outside world: very little 'wing' and a muddy middle.

I tend strongly toward Libertarian / cynical...which I consider fairly centrist. Others don't.

So, where do you place yourself? Anyone going to post their membership card to one 'wing' or another? :D

I was excited to see how many voted Libertarian...then I realized they might just be voting for Boobies. lol
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.