dorkitup

Active shooter - DC Navy yard

masterrig

*********the media is reporting that the suspect was arrested in Seattle for opening fire over a parking dispute. Would that arrest have prevented Texas from issuing a concealed carry permit?

Seattle detectives ultimately arrested Alexis a month later. According to police, Alexis told detectives he had been “mocked” by construction workers and said they had “disrespected him.” Alexis also claimed he had an anger-fueled “blackout,” and could not remember firing his gun at the victims’ vehicle until an hour after the incident.

Did the media say whether or not the shooter held a Texas CHL before the shooting incident or after the shooting in Seattle? A conviction would prevent him from obtaining a CHL. An arrest only, would come under close scrutiny by Texas DPS.

Chuck

"There's no record that he was ever prosecuted, and a spokeswoman for the Seattle City Attorney's Office, Kimberly Mills, said Monday that her office never received the report from police so did not review it for possible charges."

An explanation to Texas DPS on his application would be looked into during the background check portion of the application process. It would be up to the Texas Department of Public Safety to approve the application or not.

Chuck

What would they look at if there's "no record" and "no report"?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

************the media is reporting that the suspect was arrested in Seattle for opening fire over a parking dispute. Would that arrest have prevented Texas from issuing a concealed carry permit?

Seattle detectives ultimately arrested Alexis a month later. According to police, Alexis told detectives he had been “mocked” by construction workers and said they had “disrespected him.” Alexis also claimed he had an anger-fueled “blackout,” and could not remember firing his gun at the victims’ vehicle until an hour after the incident.

Did the media say whether or not the shooter held a Texas CHL before the shooting incident or after the shooting in Seattle? A conviction would prevent him from obtaining a CHL. An arrest only, would come under close scrutiny by Texas DPS.

Chuck

"There's no record that he was ever prosecuted, and a spokeswoman for the Seattle City Attorney's Office, Kimberly Mills, said Monday that her office never received the report from police so did not review it for possible charges."

An explanation to Texas DPS on his application would be looked into during the background check portion of the application process. It would be up to the Texas Department of Public Safety to approve the application or not.

Chuck

Just a routine check with authorities. They won't just take the applicant's word for it.

Chuck

masterrig

***************the media is reporting that the suspect was arrested in Seattle for opening fire over a parking dispute. Would that arrest have prevented Texas from issuing a concealed carry permit?

Chuck

Chuck

Just a routine check with authorities. They won't just take the applicant's word for it.

Chuck

And the check turns up "no record" and "no reports". What then?

kallend

******************the media is reporting that the suspect was arrested in Seattle for opening fire over a parking dispute. Would that arrest have prevented Texas from issuing a concealed carry permit?

Chuck

Chuck

Chuck

And the check turns up "no record" and "no reports". What then?

Continue the background check. At the completion they approve or not. Like any other.

Chuck

kallend

*********Lack of access control. How could multiple shooters get in? How could one shooter get to the 4th floor of a building with two long guns and a pistol, from which he shoots down into the cafeteria?

Lack of access control is the reason. This has nothing to do with gun ownership by law abiding citizens. Prohibiting law abiding citizens from owning guns is not the solution.

What proof do you have that these guys weren't "law abiding citizens" until this morning?

All criminals are law abiding right up until the time they commit a crime.

Hmmm.

One might argue that they are law abiding citizens until they are convicted of a crime.

Don't tell me that you conveniently forgot about that whole burden of proof thing, and innocent until proven guilty in a court of law thing . . . did you?

Since he will never go on trial, in your eyes his innocence is assured.

Turtlespeed logic strikes again.

Wow,

So what would you have happen?

Or do you attack me because I called you out earlier and you had no retort.

Well, had no logical or reasonable retort anyway?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

There's definitely some type of record of his arrest.

Seattle PD are saying he was arrested in 2004 and admitted to detectives that he shot out the tires in an anger induced blackout.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

quade

******Mass shootings have become as American as Apple Pie and baseball.

More bullshit
Incidents have been dropping for decades
reporting has increased much to your joy

Support this statement with facts.

Go for it.

Been posted a while back
From the Fed crime report
You just dont care to hear it

"There is one not-so-tiny flaw in all of these theories for the increase in mass shootings," James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University in Boston, wrote for Boston.com in August. "And that is that mass shootings have not increased in number or in overall body count, at least not over the past several decades."

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/18/nation/la-na-nn-mass-shootings-common-20121218

Of course, lilke anything, there are swings

But overall there are down since the 1960's

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/335739/facts-about-mass-shootings-john-fund

There I went for it

Now breath
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Gravitymaster

Ya
And since his security level was secret his background should have had a complete screening

And
AR15's are already not allowed there so banning them worked well hun

The bitch from CA is already calling for the Senate to do more banning now too
Abraham Lincoln

turtlespeed

************Lack of access control. How could multiple shooters get in? How could one shooter get to the 4th floor of a building with two long guns and a pistol, from which he shoots down into the cafeteria?

Lack of access control is the reason. This has nothing to do with gun ownership by law abiding citizens. Prohibiting law abiding citizens from owning guns is not the solution.

What proof do you have that these guys weren't "law abiding citizens" until this morning?

Hmmm.

One might argue that they are law abiding citizens until they are convicted of a crime.

Don't tell me that you conveniently forgot about that whole burden of proof thing, and innocent until proven guilty in a court of law thing . . . did you?

Wow,

You just borrowed Alice in Wonderland logic from rushmc.

Don't make stupid statements and then whine when someone shows how stupid they are.

Gravitymaster

Easy - because people like YOU oppose making background checks truly effective.

rushmc

*********Mass shootings have become as American as Apple Pie and baseball.

More bullshit

Go for it.

Been posted a while back
From the Fed crime report
You just dont care to hear it

"There is one not-so-tiny flaw in all of these theories for the increase in mass shootings," James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern University in Boston, wrote for Boston.com in August. "And that is that mass shootings have not increased in number or in overall body count, at least not over the past several decades."

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/18/nation/la-na-nn-mass-shootings-common-20121218

Of course, lilke anything, there are swings

But overall there are down since the 1960's

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/335739/facts-about-mass-shootings-john-fund

There I went for it

Now breath

Tell us which other western nations have had as many mass shootings as the USA in the past 2 years.

kallend

***************Lack of access control. How could multiple shooters get in? How could one shooter get to the 4th floor of a building with two long guns and a pistol, from which he shoots down into the cafeteria?

Hmmm.

Wow,

You just borrowed Alice in Wonderland logic from rushmc.

Don't make stupid statements and then whine when someone shows how stupid they are.

Awww
arent you sweet
Abraham Lincoln

This case is different in that regard.
He went to the VA for help - they failed him.
He was cleared for a security clearance - I'd bet that would be sufficient to purchase a weapon.

It's also starting to appear the term AR-15 is the pit bull of guns.

kallend

Easy - because people like YOU oppose making background checks truly effective.

MAJOR BULLSHIT!! I have never been opposed to keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

Of course there is a record. If he was arrested, there is a record of it. What I was trying to get across was, the background check for a CHL here in Texas is very thorough. They check everything and when they're finished they make a determination.
The shooter in this incident also had full security clearance at the Navy ship yard. The one thing that hasn't been said is if he had a Texas CHL before or after the shooting incident in Washington State or if he had one at all!!

Chuck

Stumpy

Well it sounds like he got two of the weapons from these trained security guards that you assure us will help prevent this from happening.

Well apparently you have selective memory. I have stated recently that the police have no obligation to protect you and you should take steps to protect yourself.

It's left wingers like you who believe only law enforcement should be armed. This should be a good example of just how wrong you are, as usual.

Normally, I'd say nice try, but in this case your comments are pathetic.
:S

quade

******Mass shootings have become as American as Apple Pie and baseball.

More bullshit

Go for it.

According to the CDC study on gun violence:

Mass shootings such as the one in Newtown, Connecticut, have declined and “account for a very small fraction of all firearm-related deaths.” Accidental deaths due to firearms have continued to fall as well, with “the number of unintentional deaths due to firearm-related incidents account[ing] for less than 1% of all unintentional fatalities in 2010.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/08/73619-obama-ordered-cdc-study-contradicts-white-house-anti-gun-narrative/
--
Rob

I still feel that if guns are taken away from law abiding citizens, the bad guys will still have guns. Law enforcement know who the bad guys are... why don't they take their guns? Probably because the bad guys have their second amendment rights! The good guys don't! Seems to me, there is too much 'knee-jerk reaction and no common sense in regard to the gun issue.

Chuck