dorkitup

Active shooter - DC Navy yard

normiss

I've heard "rifle" and "long gun" - I think they aren't quite sure yet.

UGH.

Here we go again.

I wonder if the admin will claim possible parentage of this guy.:S

People who were inside the building said the gunman — described as a tall, African-American male — wordlessly sprayed fire from an AR-15 assault rifle.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hearing there were at least 2 shooters. Now down.
Not sure if that means they are in custody or were taken out. Don't know what proper LEO terms mean.

Secure facility though. So you would think at least one, maybe 2 levels of security.
Also rumors of one security officer down and one DC metro LEO down.

Heard multiple guns. ATF and FBI on scene.

Also heard the cafeteria was targeted. (High volume of people) But that is hearsay at this point.

turtlespeed

. . . At least the rumor of a shooting at Bolling AFB were erroneous.

Yeah. Ft McNair was locked down for a bit as well. I guess as a precaution.

Hope those injured are able to fully recover.

edit: for those that don't know, ft mcnair is right near the navy yard

a tall, African-American male — wordlessly sprayed fire from an AR-15 assault rifle.

'Sprayed fire' from an AR15? WTF? Unless it had a slidefire stock on it I call BULLSHIT!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Another shooting in a gun-free zone. A tightly controlled gun-free zone. You don't get into those buildings without security clearances and passing through security.

We can't keep weapons out of prisons. We can't keep them out of secure military offices.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Um... There are PLENTY of guns at the Navy yard. Its a Navy base. What do you mean "gun-free zone"?
Except for the museum, you have to present ID and go through security to enter the base.

I understand that also, for many buildings there, there is another level of security where you have to swipe your govt ID card to gain access, which is common in many govt buildings.

Out of curiosity, are you trying to start a gun rant? I'm new to SC and find it a little hard to recognize sometimes.
Not that a gun rant is right or wrong...

dorkitup

Um... There are PLENTY of guns at the Navy yard. Its a Navy base. What do you mean "gun-free zone"?
Except for the museum, you have to present ID and go through security to enter the base.

I understand that also, for many buildings there, there is another level of security where you have to swipe your govt ID card to gain access, which is common in many govt buildings.

Out of curiosity, are you trying to start a gun rant? I'm new to SC and find it a little hard to recognize sometimes.
Not that a gun rant is right or wrong...

H A HA - Fresh Meat!:ph34r:

Take everything here with a nice big grain of salt.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Take everything here with a nice big grain of salt.:)

Thanks for the heads up.
I don't have a big preference one way or the other on guns.
Its a second-amendment right, so there's that. If people want to own guns, I don't care, as long as you don't shoot me or are a moron with said guns.
I have shot a ton with friends, which is super fun, but I've never felt the need to own one. And I've lived in some pretty shady places.
Live and let live is my philosophy, I guess. I'm sure its WAY more complicated than that here though. :D

Sure. There are plenty of guns at a Navy base. Locked up in an armory. Military personnel don't go walking around with weapons on a military base.

Like almost ALL federal buildings in the district, all of the contracted security personnel on that base do carry guns.

I'm not sure what your point is. Can you clarify?
I do agree that in all likelihood there were probably no security people near the shooter(s), that had a gun and could act. That's every federal building in the district honestly though. Question is, do you care (edit: I only ask because most people these days don't seem to give a sh*t about anyone who works for the govt, no matter what capacity they work)?

quade

******I've heard "rifle" and "long gun" - I think they aren't quite sure yet.

UGH.
Here we go again.

You'll notice nobody is saying he used an electric drill.

Or a swimming pool.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

lawrocket

Sure. There are plenty of guns at a Navy base. Locked up in an armory. Military personnel don't go walking around with weapons on a military base.

USUALLY . . . Just the MP's and Shore Patrol.:)

kallend

*********I've heard "rifle" and "long gun" - I think they aren't quite sure yet.

UGH.
Here we go again.

You'll notice nobody is saying he used an electric drill.

Or a swimming pool.

Or a banana.

Lack of access control. How could multiple shooters get in? How could one shooter get to the 4th floor of a building with two long guns and a pistol, from which he shoots down into the cafeteria?

Lack of access control is the reason. This has nothing to do with gun ownership by law abiding citizens. Prohibiting law abiding citizens from owning guns is not the solution.