jclalor

NBA center Jason Collins is coming out

With as many gays that there are in the world, I really don't see this is news. Who cares. It's moot point. No one really cares who he goes to bed with.

Must.... not... bite.... Must... stay... strong....

:D:D
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Meh. Calling travelling in an NBA would be a bigger anouncement.[:/]

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I agree. Who gives a shit if your gay or not.

While I don't care personally if someone is gay or straight, there are still a lot of idiots who do.

Many of them think that gays shouldn't have the same rights as straights.
Others think that they are "immoral", will go to hell if they don't reform their ways, and should be set straight (pun intended).

Read some of the "gay marriage" threads to see some of the vitriol against gays.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

1) Bigotry.
2) Silence.
3) Silence.
4) Sunshine and lollipops.

actually, ignoring you just being a constant asshole to me in posts - this is pretty good

real and effective change doesn't happen with a bunch of trumpets and fanfare. it happens one at a time on a personal level until critical mass is achieved. Everything else is just noise. the bigots either die off, or at some point in their lives, they find out a person they care about is affected, then they change.....or they don't. The only thing we have true control over is how we live our own lives and whether we permit what others think to affect us.

the idea that people think they can make huge change with a big gesture is naive

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>he had a third choice - life his life as he sees fit. no need for fanfare, just live his life
>the best he knows

That seems to be what he's doing. In his words: "I'll lead by example and show that gay players are no different from straight ones." The press, however, is making a stink.

close - I'll lead by example and encourage the press a ton.

1 - I hope it works out for him
2 - For sure he'll get a contract somewhere now.

Edit: sometimes it's easiest to go listen to Dr Seuss - "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind"

(Those that matter are close to you, not the faceless masses of the entire continent)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind"

Good advice, even if people don't want you to say what you feel.

Even better - they can want what they want. It just plain shouldn't matter to you if you are strong of character.

Dr. Seuss is all right. he talks funny

real and effective change doesn't happen with a bunch of trumpets and fanfare.

Firstly, how on earth does what's happening with this guy get conflated with trumpets and fanfare?

Secondly, it seems like one almighty coincidence how most of the major social changes of the 20th century (and the ones still rumbling on now) come on the heels of a lot of noise.

The only thing we have true control over is how we live our own lives and whether we permit what others think to affect us.

Which is in no way incompatible with being vocal about a cause. It really seems as though you don't realise that you spend as much mental effort being anti-cause as others spend taking a side, or that you act as arrogantly towards anyone who has a position as you think they act towards everyone else.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

be cool, Jakee. I get your position and only wish you'd respect other's positions too.

My comments aren't about only one way to make change. There are lots of ways. My comments is about the most effective way to make lasting change and what, IMO, causes the least amount of long term angst. It's a ranking, not an either or. Too many here seem to think that positing an optimal position automatically includes rejection of all other options.....that's hardly ever true.

I get your position and only wish you'd respect other's positions too...

It's a ranking, not an either or. Too many here seem to think that positing an optimal position automatically includes rejection of all other options.....

But so far in this thread other options have been described by you as obnoxious, pointless, assholish, goading, in your face, pushy, silly and generally counterproductive.

So it's kinda tricky to break through all that and figure out that you don't actually disapprove;)

The first professional athlete of a major sport to come out while still playing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/

Tim Tebow came out several years ago for being Christian. He showed great courage in doing so...maybe the President will give him a call to congratulate him and throw his support behind him. After all Obama is a Christain too.:D

So it's kinda tricky to break through all that and figure out that you don't actually disapprove;)

fair enough

from my viewpoint, you never stated what you believe in. you simply spent your posts pissing on my (subjective) opinion on the subject. And, ((from my perspective)), the press was overplaying it in an obnoxious, pointless and silly - and not value added to the cause of acceptance. YMMV - and, apparently, certainly does.

and, admit it, BV and I had a clean dialogue that wasn't so adversarial

blues

Hmmm. Is anyone in this thread Gay?? AND, if so would you come out right here, right now today on DZ.Com?

I'll start....NO! Do I care if other's are? Well I'll just say if I was aware of that person I wouldn't be making any SkyDives with them and I would avoid them at any costs.

Now we'll see who's who, won't we??
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

and, admit it, BV and I had a clean dialogue that wasn't so adversarial

True, I've never seen Bill rise to anything.

from my perspective, the press was overplaying it in an obnoxious, pointless and silly

Example being? You didn't even read the article linked in the first post...

I'll start....NO! Do I care if other's are? Well I'll just say if I was aware of that person I wouldn't be making any SkyDives with them and I would avoid them at any costs.

Well, that would mean that you'd miss some great skydives with some great (and fun) skydivers. The ones I know are like any other skydiver, including liking beer and farting in the plane.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Well I'll just say if I was aware of that person I wouldn't be making
>any SkyDives with them and I would avoid them at any costs.

Pretty safe bet, then, that you do know a bunch of them, and they're just not telling you. After dealing with people like you their whole lives they get to know who can handle it and who can't.

Of the skydivers I know, I can think of about a dozen who are gay - and that's just at one DZ. On here I can think of eight or nine regular posters who are gay. But they don't type in pink or anything so it can be hard to tell.

Hmmm. Is anyone in this thread Gay?? AND, if so would you come out right here, right now today on DZ.Com?

Profile : rwieder

:|

Well I'll just say if I was aware of that person I wouldn't be making any SkyDives with them and I would avoid them at any costs.

Why?

For what purpose?

Pretty safe bet, then, that you do know a bunch of them, and they're just not telling you. After dealing with people like you their whole lives they get to know who can handle it and who can't.

Well, if I do know them, they're not telling anybody. Because if they were, you bet I'd know it. And hey what a man don't know can't hurt him, right? B|

Of the skydivers I know, I can think of about a dozen who are gay - and that's just at one DZ. On here I can think of eight or nine regular posters who are gay. But they don't type in pink or anything so it can be hard to tell.

Well let's just say I'm affording them an opportunity to "Out Themselves" I mean IF I were Gay, I wouldn't have any problem telling the world, the same way I don't have any problem admitting I'm straight, or what ever the politically correct word is now-a-days. I guess I'm just an old stick in the mud??
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"