beowulf

Gun Control Study

Just because there is data doesn't mean it's good data.

True but I haven't seen any valid reasons why the data from the (independently performed) surveys should be dismissed. (That they were obtained from surveys is NOT a valid reason.)
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

My skepticism regarding polls and surveys is not due to the methods in this case. It's more because of the subject. I think a good many people are likely to not participate or be truthful on this subject. I am sure Gallop and GSS have good methods and are reliable.

I think the probability that the poll/survey is correct is much lower then what you think.

My skepticism regarding polls and surveys is not due to the methods in this case. It's more because of the subject. I think a good many people are likely to not participate or be truthful on this subject. I am sure Gallop and GSS have good methods and are reliable.

I understand. You feel that gun owners are inherently dishonest. You're entitled to that opinion. Still, the surveys provide the best data regarding ownership rates that I know of. The NICS data simply don't provide enough information to tell us about ownership rates.

Not participating doesn't make someone dishonest.

True, but non-participation can be largely accounted for with survey methodology.

Not telling the truth on a poll or survey is petty white lie. It' doesn't necessarily make someone a dishonest person.

That's exactly what it does.

Some may be criminals that are not going to answer truthfully.

That's certainly a possibility, though such a small (relatively speaking) population is exceedingly unlikely to affect the results enough that an increasing trend would become a decreasing trend.

You are jumping to conclusions. Not participating doesn't make someone dishonest. Not telling the truth on a poll or survey is petty white lie. It' doesn't necessarily make someone a dishonest person.

yes it does.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Agreed. Gun deaths would go up, gun arrests would go down.

Acually, recent history has shown this most likely NOT to be true

But Bill already know this
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I'm sure there are some new owners. Is it a significant increase, or is it an increase that could be considered to be the same, statistically, as the current number.

BTW, if a decrease can be deemed insignificant, so can an increase.

And I still think the internet & media are a bigger cause of the current gun & ammo shortage than Obama is -- it's the fear being spread that makes people buy more than they normally would have, and that's what leads to short-term shortages.

Wendy P.

Well, maybe, the media for the most part did not report what Obama has said about his gun ownership views

In any event

Be prepared for the rath of Quade

Cause he says its the NRA's fault

On another note, just person observation

A good freind of mine owns a gun store

Those buying guns for the first time at least equal those buying again (in his shop) At this is easyly determined by those who come in without a permit to purchase or CCW permit and do not know about NICS or the other procedures to buy here in Iowa

And one more thing

Obama is after the guns
Years of what he has said about it is out there to be learned
He is not changing his stripes now
Abraham Lincoln

This is what NICS provide. From this there is no way to determine how many new gun owners or repeat buyers or even the total gun purchases.
It could give a rough estimate of gun purchases.

Agreed. Gun purchases, however, are not a good metric for measuring the rate of gun ownership. It is entirely possible and plausible that the former can increase while the latter decreases. Both Gallup polling and the General Social Survey suggest ownership is declining in the long term.

How about using the numbers in FL where conceal weapons permits are setting records

Would you just then assume that those getting the premits are current gun owners or new gun owners?
Abraham Lincoln

You are jumping to conclusions. Not participating doesn't make someone dishonest. Not telling the truth on a poll or survey is petty white lie. It' doesn't necessarily make someone a dishonest person.

yes it does.

Saying a white lie is not a lie is like saying oral sex is not sex. Hell, it's right there in the name.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Obama is after the guns

What happened to "Actions speak louder than words?" What actual actions has he taken that has reduced the availability of guns?

I think some people are idiots and don't deserve to breathe. Doesn't mean I'm going to do anything about it. Even if I were the President, I wouldn't.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Obama is after the guns

What happened to "Actions speak louder than words?" What actual actions has he taken that has reduced the availability of guns?

I think some people are idiots and don't deserve to breathe. Doesn't mean I'm going to do anything about it. Even if I were the President, I wouldn't.

Wendy P.

He is not up for re-election

Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead

Maybe you wouldnt
But he is
Abraham Lincoln

Gun ownership has increased decreased and according to the FBI violent crime has been decreasing.

US Gun Ownership
US Murder & Robbery rates

I can't speak about causation, but the correlation appears to be there.

You got a cool little gragh here

Got the data and questions behind it?
I would like to take a look at it
Abraham Lincoln

So how come the inverse is not also true? Legalize all guns and you'll have fewer illegal ones.

Think about what you just wrote.

Eliminate speed limits and you'll have fewer speeders.

Legalize drunk driving and you'll have fewer DUIs.

Same logic.

Not quite the same logic but yes, how is a "speeder" defined? By the posted speed limit of course. Not by what YOU would call "speeding".

Same for the DUIs.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Some may be criminals that are not going to answer truthfully.

That's certainly a possibility, though such a small (relatively speaking) population is exceedingly unlikely to affect the results enough that an increasing trend would become a decreasing trend.

You like surveys

How about a more recent one

Self-Reported Gun Ownership in U.S. Is Highest Since 1993

PRINCETON, NJ -- Forty-seven percent of American adults currently report that they have a gun in their home or elsewhere on their property. This is up from 41% a year ago and is the highest Gallup has recorded since 1993, albeit marginally above the 44% and 45% highs seen during that period.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx

What say you now?
Abraham Lincoln

Well just as literally, it IS true.

Legalize all guns, and by definition, there are NO illegal guns.

THAT is his whole point.

Just think about it. If it is impossible to own a gun illegally, how can there be illegal guns?

ETA: I didn't bother addressing the other examples since this is a gun related thread, but the same logic applies.

Dang it!
I was hoping he would follow it on through to realize his own error. But you let the cat out of the bag.
>:(:D:D:D;)

The polls and surveys regarding gun ownership could be entirely wrong. It just depends on who responds and how truthful they are.

I think many gun owners would not respond and that would skew the numbers.

How is the up- or down-swing of ownership, however one defines it, relevant to us as a population?
And, no, I do not see any evidence of causation in the comparisons of guns vs crime "studies".

Quite true. Look, for example, at how the deft use of polls enhanced the reliability of John Rich's threads.

Enhanced?
:D:D:D
:D:D:D

oh...you were being sarcastic. I get it now.
;)

There are actually no illegal guns now. There are instances of illegal possession. But the guns themselves are perfectly legal...including machineguns.

Just being a grammar Nazi. I knew what was meant.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

And I still think the internet & media are a bigger cause of the current gun & ammo shortage than Obama is -- it's the fear being spread that makes people buy more than they normally would have, and that's what leads to short-term shortages.

Wendy P.

Oh, hell...did you get hammered by the "It's the NRA's fault! They are the ones spreading fear that's driving the mad rush on weapons and ammo."
:D:D