beowulf

Gun Control Study

"(6) Does all this mean that the state should abandon any efforts on gun control at
all and leave things go their own way? Certainly not. It would be irresponsible to
deny the benefits of minimising the access of risk populations to guns on the one
hand, and to ensure and improve responsible gun ownership on the other hand. In
that very basic meaning gun control makes sense and is necessary."

Agreed.

He did pretty well looking at it from both sides.

He does split hairs a bit, though it he is right it's a very real problem that if you make owning guns illegal you turn all previous legal guns into illegal guns, and so in effect make your problem worse....its a catch 22 but we still come to the same conclusion in the end.

"It would be irresponsible to
deny the benefits of minimising the access of risk populations to guns on the one
hand, and to ensure and improve responsible gun ownership on the other hand."

Cut down the number of illegal guns by making them legal. What amazing logic!

We could cut drunk driving convictions by legalizing drunk driving.

We could cut illegal drug use by legalizing all drugs.

We could eliminate speeding cars by throwing out all speed limits.

The guy's a genius.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That's not what he suggested at all.

He seemed moderate on gun control.

He just pointed out by definition people become criminals and their guns turn from legal to illegal if they refuse to comply with a ban, which COULD lead to more "illegal" guns than you had before.

Its TRUE, but its not a reason to give up....as he goes on to say and I also quoted.

It was the least biased study I could find. It's not perfect but then again nothing is.

Well, the NRA successfully lobbied Congress to have real research on gun violence gagged.

Even the NRA's point man in Congress, former GOP Rep. Jay Dickey, now says that this was a mistake. All part of the NRA's war on science.

This study was from Austria. Gun control has limited effectiveness. I would think that much is obvious.

"Limited" <> "no".

No kidding! Could you be a little more condescending!

What I got from that study is that the more strict the gun control laws are the less effective they are. People will only comply up to a certain point.

It's amazing that you came away with that conclusion.

No its not

It the same stupid shit demonstrated over and over

Hell, you can't know if that is what he really thinks

Cause he will not post a straight line about what he thinks if his life depended on it[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You are obviously disingenuous with your responses. I would think you would have smarter responses considering your education. But seems all you can do is display your obvious bias against gun owners. If you have any real suggestions then put them out there.

You are obviously disingenuous with your responses. I would think you would have smarter responses considering your education. But seems all you can do is display your obvious bias against gun owners. If you have any real suggestions then put them out there.

if he were interested in having a discussion, he might. But he rather enjoys trolling those who disagree with him.

Intellectual dishonesty at it's finest. From a professer of physics and engineering. Well, at least they're subjects that aren't subjective. He uses logic at work. He doesn't have any left for here.
--
Rob

This study was from Austria. Gun control has limited effectiveness. I would think that much is obvious.

"Limited" <> "no".

he's got a lot of leeway from the mods. he uses it on those of us he deems unworthy.

Still smarting from being called on your mistakes, I see.

"Limited" <> "no".

he's got a lot of leeway from the mods. he uses it on those of us he deems unworthy.

Still smarting from being called on your mistakes, I see.

ah... Ah prof at an institute of higher learning holding himself to the same high standards of the common western bridge troll.
--
Rob

He just pointed out by definition people become criminals and their guns turn from legal to illegal if they refuse to comply with a ban, which COULD lead to more "illegal" guns than you had before.

I'm of the mind that COULD is really WILL.
The crooks are gonna keep theirs now you add in the defenders of the 2nd and you have more illegal weapons...simply because you passed a "law".
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239