piisfish

As a civilian, did you have to use your gun ?

so, honest question for you open carriers and concealed carriers, as "not on-duty" people, did you ever have to use your guns ?
I am not talking military/LEO/security on duty.

Not trying to bash anyone, I still have my guns at home.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Mark, I know that, as usual, polls are imperfect ;)
In your case I would than say yes (using the gun does not necessarily mean shooting with it) You showed it, and it had the desired effect.

I also forgot an option which would have been for me : I own guns, but never wear them, only take them to the gun range and back.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I need a gun badly one night, and had none. In the middle of a traffic jam, was punched repeatedly by a road-rager, dragged out of my car, and finally broke free, diving into a passer-by's car who drove me to the police station. To make matters worse, I was suffering from heat exhaustion at the time.

The experience really drove home the fact that: "When Seconds Count, The Police Are Only Minutes Away"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

"When Seconds Count, The Police Are Only Minutes Away"

We need to realize that we are relegating ourselves to the position of sheep in our society. If this continues we will have no right to complain about being treated like sheep: the lucky ones spend their entire life being herded and (literally) fleeced, the unlucky ones are sent helplessly to slaughter.

While the phrase above is often spoken tongue-in-cheek to criticize police officers, there is some unavoidable truth in the statement. The response time of emergency personnel of ANY variety (police, fire, EMS) is measured in minutes. I'm a volunteer firefighter and paramedic, so I know this.

We as individuals NEED to be able to take care of ourselves until the "good guys" can get to us. In EMS, this means knowing CPR and how to use an AED, or how to help a choking child or adult. In fire prevention, this means having a good escape route and accessible fire extinguishers in your house. And, for police issues, this means being EQUIPPED and KNOWLEDGEABLE enough to defend yourself until they can arrive.

Just as in a fire, a safe escape route and good barriers (like good locks on our doors, and an alarm system) are part of the equation. As stressed above, for the properly trained and armed citizen, firearms can be part of the solution as well.

Each of us needs to decide for ourselves what our plan will be, and to evaluate our plan with a very critical eye: the lives at stake will be our own and the ones we most love.

Elvisio "2nd amendment moderate, a dying breed" Rodriguez

EDIT: Sig line superfluity

Not a conceal carry incident exactly, but yes. About 15 years back, bunch of latino gangbangers in my front yard about to stomp my neighbors, armed with chunks of debris and random melee weapons. Sticks, boards, rocks...

Actual street experience has a way of dispelling any silly notions about disarmament being the way to ensure peace. It ensures helpless victims.

It was literally happening on our front doorstep, our front door and our neighbors' front doors being only about 10 feet apart, small apartment by railroad tracks. My roommate and I stepped out to see what the noise was about and were promptly attacked, outnumbered about 5 to 1. We had no idea who these people were and they didn't bother to assess the scene, just attacked immediately, some swarthy looking guy in a straw hat tried to punch out my roommate inside of 5 seconds, and at that moment a truck pulled in and these guys started bouncing out of the back wielding all kinds of random junk weapons. Apparently the guys working themselves up to take out my neighbor had already called for backup. I ducked back inside and popped out with a 12 gauge, displayed it and racked the slide.

That ended THAT. Instantly. There was no need to fire. They were suddenly leaving... very very quickly. They never came back either.

If I'd been unarmed it would have gone very badly for us. I've seen instances where the same thing happened but the guy being targeted was unarmed... july 4th, 8 years ago, just after the fireworks, the streets packed with hundreds of people leaving.

The cops saturated the area, dozens of cars, the gangs temporarily dispersed... soon as the cops left, they all came back out and picked up where they left off. The target was dumb enough not to have fled the area. They found him, swarmed him, stabbed him in the kidneys, dragged him to the guardrail threw him over the edge and dumped him in a ravine. I never found out if he lived.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I voted yes, once... where I actually discharged my gun at someone. He was breaking into a neighbors house. It was his warning shot and he was caught because I called the police to tell them what I was doing and why.

The second time was a car-jacking. I just took it out as they approached the truck. They stopped and looked at me. I told them, "It's your move." They left.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I need a gun badly one night, and had none. In the middle of a traffic jam, was punched repeatedly by a road-rager, dragged out of my car, and finally broke free, diving into a passer-by's car who drove me to the police station. To make matters worse, I was suffering from heat exhaustion at the time.

The experience really drove home the fact that: "When Seconds Count, The Police Are Only Minutes Away"

Ban fire extinguishers. We should just wait inside the house until the fire department comes. People with fire extinguishers are scared of something - or compensating, the shape is suggestive.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ban fire extinguishers. We should just wait inside the house until the fire department comes. People with fire extinguishers are scared of something - or compensating, the shape is suggestive.

Love it!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I was camping in the national forest, bushwhacked to set up my site. Thought I was alone in the area, some jerk off at about 2:30 am decides to shoot 4 rounds (I guess in a random direction, probably didn't know I was there), I heard two bullets hit up high in the trees above me. I immediately shot 2 rounds into a hill right next to me to alert them someone's up there. No more shots fired and my ears were ringing for the rest of the night.

When I lived in Florida, some guy (later found out high on PCP) broke into our neighbors place. Broke the glass front door with his arms, trashed the place screaming and yelling, moved on to the next apartment and did the same thing. Told my girlfriend at the time to call 911 and I grabbed my pistol and watched to see what he was going to do next. I mostly knew my neighbors weren't home at the time, early in the night no light on, so I didn't feel the need to intervene there unless I heard them (my neighbors yelling for help or something). He smashed into my next store neighbors place next (my apartment was next after that). Told my girlfriend to get under the bed and lock the door, do not come out until I say to. I stood there with my gun pointed at my door ready to fire. The police showed up as he was in my next store neighbors apartment.

I'm glad no one got hurt (the perp had slashed up arms and blood everywhere outside) and that I didn't have to use lethal force to protect myself. I'm also glad and find comfort that I have the right to own a firearm and be able to protect myself when the law can't.

I have had to pull my weapon twice with human threats.
Once when a guy tried to car jack me and again when some nut tried to sneak up behind my car with a tire iron while I was sitting in it watching him try to low crawl up.I should have started the car and drove away but I was in disbelief as I watched in my mirrors.
This guy jumped up around to my window yelling "your dead mother f*cker" at which time he seen the weapon pointing at his head and dropped on the ground and begged me not to arrest him. I'm not a cop nor was I dressed like one so it was really weird and I drove off while this freak laid in the gravel crying he is sorry.
I think the second guy was a meth head judged by his appearance and irrational behavior.
Luckily I was able to stop both threats without discharging the weapon.
I have had to shoot a sick racoon in a carport that came after a friend and myself and felt bad about it but,the critter kept coming and I had to shoot it twice since shot placement is tough when the target is moving very fast at you.
I hope I never have to actually shoot anyone and, it seems most people do not want to risk getting shot,even the crazy ones seem to back away from the threat of being shot from my experience.

Was able to keep a couple of low life desert bums away from my family by merely showing them that I was armed and they needed to be leaving us alone. We were camped near Death Valley and they thought they might have found an easy mark. Think again boys.

jon

Three times I've had to draw down on someone.

Once, when somebody tried to break our front door down at about midnight. I met him with the 7MM Weatherby. He left.

Once, when somebody in traffic brandished a revolver at me. I picked up my S&W Model 59 from the seat. He left.

Once when some hothead got mad that I interrupted his rabbit hunting and he started to point his .22 rifle at me. I pointed my .270 at him. He left.

And after each time, I was shaking so bad I had to just sit down for a while. Thinking I was about a quarter-second from killing somebody and changing my life forever was incredibly frightening.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Interesting. I've never had to draw a gun on someone to keep safe. I target shoot, but don't carry concealed.

I've spent the majority of my life living in cities, and moving about as I wished, where I wished, when I wished.

Maybe not having that particular hammer on me makes problems look like something other than nails.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's kind of like skydiving -- only the person in the moment will be making the decisions realtime. Everyone else gets to talk about it afterwards, and everyone can reflect on what they might do in a similar situation (or how to avoid it in the first place).

That's one way to learn.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>It's kind of like skydiving -- only the person in the moment will be making the
>decisions realtime.

Agreed. I also see some of the same attitudes over guns that I see over small canopies, for example. "It's not more dangerous for me. I am going to a smaller canopy to get better penetration so I don't have to land out - so it's safer. And they knife through turbulence better. And I can totally handle it." Which is fine - if people want guns (or small parachutes) that's up to them. But sometimes their reasoning is a bit off.

and a bunch of other choices you did not offer up:
- yes, but I (or someone with me) put myself in a dumb-ass situation that was easily preventable
- No, because I am smart enough to avoid 99.9% of the situations that might need one
- I called 911 and that sufficed
- etc.

Your poll kind of makes the assumption that everyone will be in that situation at some point in their lives and that is hardly the case.

- yes, but I (or someone with me) put myself in a dumb-ass situation that was easily preventable
- No, because I am smart enough to avoid 99.9% of the situations that might need one

I like this one (I know it's two items, but they are the same point) about as much as I like telling the rape victim that "she shouldn't have dressed that way"

i.e., not one bit - blaming the victim for something the criminal initiates.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

and a bunch of other choices you did not offer up:
- I called 911 and that sufficed
- etc.

Your poll kind of makes the assumption that everyone will be in that situation at some point in their lives and that is hardly the case.

---------------------------------------------------------
Well since you like to add stupid options, you should add this one too

I was waiting for the police to show up but they took too long and now IM DEAD and I WISHED I HAD BOUGHT A GUN.

Thats just as usable as what you suggested.

Wendy I'd kind of disagree with that... I'd say its more like a combination of you being smart enough to avoid places where shit happens, and some luck.

Ryoder's story was spooky to me because the -exact- same thing happened to me once... only difference was the outcome. I always keep the doors locked when driving. I did not have a gun. So I used a blade.

Started in bumper to bumper traffic. I noticed guy in front of me waving his fists around, could see it through back window of his van. Next thing I know he gets out of the van approaches my jeep, punches the window and screams at me. I'm thinking "WTF?" And checked my weapon, ready to draw and act quickly if need arises, but I let it pass. Guy gets back in his truck and we all move 5 feet. Traffic locks up again.

Guy gets back out of his truck and attacks my jeep again. Punches the window again, then again, tries the doorhandle, backs off for a second then winds up visibly for a real effort to break into the vehicle.

The attempt to open my truck did it. When he wound up to break the window I popped open my blade, rolled the window down gave him a very cold tight smile and held up the knife- the message being, "Reach into this vehicle and you're gonna bleed out."

Took him a second to realize I was armed and ready for him and in an easily defended position. His face went weird, rage turned to terror in an instant, he shut up, stopped screaming. I said "Get the fuck back in your truck, NOW. You force me out of the vehicle I'm gonna cut myself a steak!" He obeyed without a word.

There is only one language people like that understand... you wanna fuck me up? I'll do you worse. Still wanna play?

At the next light he had changed lanes and I was stuck beside him for a bit. I watched him like a hawk. He was scared shitless and rigidly refused to turn his head or look at me, sat frozen, staring straight ahead.

If I hadn't been on top of things and ready to act, Ryoder's story tells me exactly what would have happened to me because this guy's intentions were quite clear. Its just eerie seeing an account of the other possible outcome. If I'd had a gun I'd have pulled that, but the moral to the story isn't about guns- its that one way or another sometimes a weapon is necessary to avoid or prevent violence, especially when one is cornered. Most people without experience with violence aren't exactly ready to defend themselves with edged weapons and edged weapons are notoriously chancy, tricky to use, and require actual contact with the aggressor, worst comes to worst.

My grandma used to carry the cutest little double barrel .22 Derringer purse gun for similar circumstances. If she'd been limited to nothing but edged weapons in my place, she'd have got beat by the side of the road.

Its a scary world. I'd just as soon my grandma retained the right to that little gun.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

>It's kind of like skydiving -- only the person in the moment will be making the
>decisions realtime.

Agreed. I also see some of the same attitudes over guns that I see over small canopies, for example. "It's not more dangerous for me. I am going to a smaller canopy to get better penetration so I don't have to land out - so it's safer. And they knife through turbulence better. And I can totally handle it." Which is fine - if people want guns (or small parachutes) that's up to them. But sometimes their reasoning is a bit off.

We need to ban small canopies.