OHCHUTE

At the end of the Day.

Do you hate this expression? People have been using this expression for a few years now and I've come to actually loath it. Stating "At the end of the day," is supposedly a signal that anything that is subsequently said will be an earth shattering revelation. When most of the time anything said after this goofy expression is nothing more than a summation of what you've already learned from the person.

Plus, it's more words than you need to say. "By Morning." might be a better expression as a lot can happen over night! Besides, many people like to "sleep on it" before any decision is reached!

Why not: finally, to sum, consequently, as a result, perhaps, instead of god awful: at the end of the day?

Finally, perhaps people will realize that saying: at the end of the day, as an expression, is something the world can do without.

Bottom line, when all is said and done, you can that to the bank.

:D:D:DGood one!

Don

i agree 'at the end of the day' is a meaningless nonsense usually said by people without much original thought. Also on the irritating list is 'what you see is what you get' often used as a justification for obnoxious behaviour. But most of all the misuse of the word 'bunch' is the most annoying trait of people speaking English. it reduces a beautiful and rich language to lowest level of comprehension. Grapes come in a bunch, keys are correctly described as a bunch. People do not, neither are cattle (herd), dolphins (pod), crows (murder), lions (pride), runners (field) and so on.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

i agree 'at the end of the day' is a meaningless nonsense usually said by people without much original thought. Also on the irritating list is 'what you see is what you get' often used as a justification for obnoxious behaviour. But most of all the misuse of the word 'bunch' is the most annoying trait of people speaking English. it reduces a beautiful and rich language to lowest level of comprehension. Grapes come in a bunch, keys are correctly described as a bunch. People do not, neither are cattle (herd), dolphins (pod), crows (murder), lions (pride), runners (field) and so on.

Lets not forget: you know what I mean, or do you know what I'm talking about, spoken when talking about it. There is probably a long list of expressions that can be talked about in the same light as at the end of the day. Wordy expressions that need not be expressed at all.

I'm getting tired of "literally". The misuse of "literally" makes me figuratively insane!

Also, the one that always makes me chuckle is "with all due respect", both because it is overused, and because the person saying it usually has zero respect for the person they are speaking to.

"With all due respect, Mr. Akin, your ideas about rape are batshit crazy." *said with a sugary tone and a big smile*
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

For me, it depends on how it's used and by whom.

A quick, nearly meaningless conversation where it's used to begin a summation? Meh. It's cliche, but what isn't in those circumstances? Were you really expecting brilliant prose from a new bard?

From a professional wordsmith? Okay, you might have a legitimate beef.

However, getting upset at regular people's words, catch phrases and grammar is a sure way to drive yourself insane.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I don't care for that expression either. The one I really dislike though is: It is what is. I personally can't think of an occasion when something is what it isn't.

Have you ever heard this;

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

You can think of "it is what it is" as simply a more concise version.

Of course, it also may mean, "Shut the fuck up. It ain't changin'."

Might have to parse the difference.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi Babe,

The misuse of "literally" makes me figuratively insane!

Now that made me laugh. :P

The one that has always bugged me is: "I hear what you are saying . . . "

And my all-time favorite is from Dwight Eisenhower:

"Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before."

:S

JerryBaumchen

I'd like to add "thinking outside the box" to the list.

Don

Agreed.

I'm getting tired of "for all intents and purposes" and it's demented twin, "for all intensive purposes."

My peeves:

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," instead of "we'll address/deal with it later."

A rather new one I've been hearing lately "de minimis" -- this is one of those few instances where a phrase of more words is clearer -- "of no consequence" or "little significance."

However, what bugs me most is when people phrase a question as a sentence.

"Can you please forward me that email you mentioned earlier."

Well, are you asking or telling me? Make up your mind! If you're telling me to do it, take out the "can you," otherwise put a goddamn question mark at the end if you're asking me.
Aargh!

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Have you ever heard this;

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference. hide the bodies of those I killed on the way.

fixed that for you

You can think of "it is what it is" as simply a more concise version.

Irregardless, I HATE "it is what it is".

:)
--
Rob

"it is what it is".

Well, point in fact: it is.

Anyhow, as the Brits taught us: you can't have your cake and eat it, too. Physically impossible.

Except when it isn't. delta x * delta p >or= h/4pi
Sometimes you have to think inside the box.

:S

I don't care for that expression either. The one I really dislike though is: It is what is. I personally can't think of an occasion when something is what it isn't.

try going out just to see what's what....

that'll help

irregardless, at the end of the day, the fact of the matter (usually not) is it's a semantically null crutch with the equivalent verbal value of "um" that disrespects the audience

nuff said

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"it is what it is".

Well, point in fact: it is.

Anyhow, as the Brits taught us: you can't have your cake and eat it, too. Physically impossible.

But if you don't have it you can't eat it either. Cake is therefore completely inedible[:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Irregardless, I HATE "it is what it is".

As my boss always says, 'we are where we are" and we've just got to deal with it. Funny thing is that no matter how many times we've been where we were we never seem to be able to escape being back where we are and get where we're going.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'd like to add "thinking outside the box" to the list.

Don

Agreed, why does it have to be a box?

I'd also add ALL management speak and use of overtly military language by fat boring middle aged business men and women to make their dull inconsequential jobs sound exciting. ALSO.. The use of the word 'family' by corporations who will fire their 'family' members as soon as they get a crap quarter result.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca