Gravitymaster

The "Why Republicans Lost" thread

***I buy grocery's. I'm behind the women paying for grocery's with her stamps. I see it. It's not a myth.

You have actually seen a person use food stamps? that's interesting, seeing how they haven't used stamps in almost 15 years.

WIC is on the Demonte Brand and not on the store brand. WIC is plastered all over the store on products. Yes the woman hands the cashier her WIC card or what ever you call it and she paid $14 for $80 worth of groceries.

The card you use (a credit card if you have one) you have to pay for the food--full price. Are you aware the Del Monte is also private label firm and corn in both cans are the same! Why are we allowing the person to have the more expensive corn when corn is corn. And what infant is eating can corn anyway? They don't even have teeth! That the mothers who supposedly needs food for an infant needs corn, potato chips and soda also WIC approved.

Read all about the WIC here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIC

Liberal idiots, just give them what they want and don't worry about what it cost. Perhaps they should be allowed to get caviar on the WIC at $88 an once. I gather babies could gum caviar a lot easier than corn and get more nutrition to boot.

You line of thinking is foolish. Spending more when you really don't have too the reason we are heading to the fiscal cliff.

Like a typical Republican, you can't make up your own facts. from your citation.

The food items provided by WIC are juice (single strength), milk, breakfast cereal, cheese, eggs, fruits and vegetables, whole wheat bread, whole grain items including brown rice and tortillas, fish (canned), legumes (dry), and peanut butter. The program also provides tofu, soy milk, and medical foods for children and women with various metabolic or other diseases. Since the white potato was deemed less nutritious than other produce, the WIC commission banned white potatoes from the list, causing protests.[11] Organic fruits, vegetables, legumes and grains are covered under WIC while organic milk, cheese, juice, peanut butter and eggs are not covered under the program.

No soda and potato chips, also no infants eating corn.

Also WIC stands for Women, Infants & Children, If you were not so ignorant on the subject, you could perhaps make a case for how SNAP should be modeled more like WIC.

wasn't talking to you.

coco seems like a randian/objectivist, even if he doesn't realize it.

Also, to reiterate my previous post which no one read or responded to because it was apparently too long and not written in sound bite form:

they lost because:

economy
social issues
demographics
ground game
strawmen issues hammered about by the right wing media (LIBYA SANDY BIRTH CERTIFICATE MOOSLIM!)
living in an information bubble.

there, short enough for you? now, let's argue about my completely unexplained, out of context sound bytes instead of what i actually said, like everyone else around here does.

*edited to add.. "you" in the latter half of this post is the general you, not specifically directed to ohchute

OK, No problem. I did read your prose version and the sound bite version and I'm torn between which one I like the most.

Funny that you cite a link to WIC, as your ignorance of WIC remains obvious. Here, let me help you. From the official website:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/

WIC provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

Just as certain twats love to portray Democrats and liberals as Commies, Republicans and conservatives' detractors often portray them as ignorant and cold-hearted. Are you trying to be a poster child for the type?

certain twats love to portray Democrats and liberals as Commies, Republicans and conservatives' detractors often portray them as ignorant and cold-hearted.

we have a winner

look at 3/4ths of the post on this thread and thee handful of duplicate threads ongoing

Dems won - because they were able to sell the public THEIR false twisted incorrect and insulting stereotypes of what the Reps are about

much better than the Reps were able to sell the public THEIR false twisted incorrect and insulting stereotypes of what the Dems are about

it's pretty sick really, both sides had good discussions that could have been had, but it just turned into a pile of crap.

and anyone that's sits there and claims that only one side (the 'other' side) was playing dirty and unfairly is a kool aid drinking sheep

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Funny that you cite a link to WIC, as your ignorance of WIC remains obvious. Here, let me help you. From the official website:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/

WIC provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

Just as certain twats love to portray Democrats and liberals as Commies, Republicans and conservatives' detractors often portray them as ignorant and cold-hearted. Are you trying to be a poster child for the type?

So Andy, you think you, your taxes, should pay more for the corn when other less expensive corn is on the same self? The same corn just with different paper labels. Delmonte and Giant Food.

***I buy grocery's. I'm behind the women paying for grocery's with her stamps. I see it. It's not a myth.

You have actually seen a person use food stamps? that's interesting, seeing how they haven't used stamps in almost 15 years.

WIC is on the Demonte Brand and not on the store brand. WIC is plastered all over the store on products. Yes the woman hands the cashier her WIC card or what ever you call it and she paid $14 for $80 worth of groceries.

The card you use (a credit card if you have one) you have to pay for the food--full price. Are you aware the Del Monte is also private label firm and corn in both cans are the same! Why are we allowing the person to have the more expensive corn when corn is corn. And what infant is eating can corn anyway? They don't even have teeth! That the mothers who supposedly needs food for an infant needs corn, potato chips and soda also WIC approved.

Read all about the WIC here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIC

Liberal idiots, just give them what they want and don't worry about what it cost. Perhaps they should be allowed to get caviar on the WIC at $88 an once. I gather babies could gum caviar a lot easier than corn and get more nutrition to boot.

You line of thinking is foolish. Spending more when you really don't have too the reason we are heading to the fiscal cliff.

Like a typical Republican, you can't make up your own facts. from your citation.

The food items provided by WIC are juice (single strength), milk, breakfast cereal, cheese, eggs, fruits and vegetables, whole wheat bread, whole grain items including brown rice and tortillas, fish (canned), legumes (dry), and peanut butter. The program also provides tofu, soy milk, and medical foods for children and women with various metabolic or other diseases. Since the white potato was deemed less nutritious than other produce, the WIC commission banned white potatoes from the list, causing protests.[11] Organic fruits, vegetables, legumes and grains are covered under WIC while organic milk, cheese, juice, peanut butter and eggs are not covered under the program.

No soda and potato chips, also no infants eating corn.

Also WIC stands for Women, Infants & Children, If you were not so ignorant on the subject, you could perhaps make a case for how SNAP should be modeled more like WIC.

The WIC card is on the self indicating Delmonte Corn is WIC. Forget the politics and lets juts talk money. So you promote the federal government should pay more in allowing the lady to have the Delmonte over the less expense store brand? Is this your position? Forget dem and rep. Just talk with you pocket book talking.

>So you promote the federal government should pay more in allowing the lady to have
>the Delmonte over the less expense store brand? Is this your position?

This reply reminds me of a recent brouhaha over "color TV's for inmates."

A while back, a meme along the lines of "it's insane that my tax dollars go to paying for color TV's in prisons!" got some traction. So local politicians put pressure on wardens - don't buy color TV's for prisons.

"They cost next to nothing - we get em used - and broadcast TV is free," the wardens replied. But this was politics, not common sense, and the politicians threatened the wardens with all sorts of dire consequences if they continued showing color TV to inmates.

So the wardens got their assistants to go out and find black and white TV's, buy them and get them repaired. They cost, on average, more than four times what the cheap color TV's cost. Then they needed converters to convert the signal the 300 ohm, VHF 2-13 channel format the older black and white TV's required.

In the end, taxpayers ended up footing the bill to replace all those "luxurious" color TV's with black and white ones.

But that way no one could say "prisoners get great TV's!" (or "WIC members get great corn!") And if that's worth it to you, then maybe it is worth the cost.

>So you promote the federal government should pay more in allowing the lady to have
>the Delmonte over the less expense store brand? Is this your position?

This reply reminds me of a recent brouhaha over "color TV's for inmates."

A while back, a meme along the lines of "it's insane that my tax dollars go to paying for color TV's in prisons!" got some traction. So local politicians put pressure on wardens - don't buy color TV's for prisons.

"They cost next to nothing - we get em used - and broadcast TV is free," the wardens replied. But this was politics, not common sense, and the politicians threatened the wardens with all sorts of dire consequences if they continued showing color TV to inmates.

So the wardens got their assistants to go out and find black and white TV's, buy them and get them repaired. They cost, on average, more than four times what the cheap color TV's cost. Then they needed converters to convert the signal the 300 ohm, VHF 2-13 channel format the older black and white TV's required.

In the end, taxpayers ended up footing the bill to replace all those "luxurious" color TV's with black and white ones.

But that way no one could say "prisoners get great TV's!" (or "WIC members get great corn!") And if that's worth it to you, then maybe it is worth the cost.

Your comparison is totally wrong. Corn in the cans are the same. DeMonte packs the store brand. And you still believe the federal gov't should pay more than it has to to feed the needy? No wonder our federal deficit is in the tank.

The Republican powers that be have decided that they need someone 180 degrees away from this time.

Mitt Romney says "I can do that."

(Yes, stolen from WWDTM)

I'm listening to the show right now, and just heard that.:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>And you still believe the federal gov't should pay more than it has to to feed the needy?

and you still think inmates deserve color TV's?

Confirmed: billvon and those like him, who failed to answer a simply question about expendatures, believes the Federal Government should pay more for that same corn than it needs to, to feed the hungry.

For me the corn discussion is over.

>Confirmed: billvon and those like him, who failed to answer a simply question about
>expendatures, believes the Federal Government should pay more for that same corn
>than it needs to, to feed the hungry.

You'd be wrong, but don't let that stop you.

>And you still believe the federal gov't should pay more than it has to to feed the needy?

Confirmed: billvon and those like him, who failed to answer a simply question about expendatures, believes the Federal Government should pay more for that same corn than it needs to, to feed the hungry.

Paying the farmers billions in "welfare" to grow the corn never seemed an issue for the Republicans, but it's always smelled of communism to me.

Paying the farmers billions in "welfare" to grow the corn never seemed an issue for the Republicans, but it's always smelled of communism to me.

Nope.

It's corporatism which is a huge bipartisan problem.

Before this election it used to average $10M (or $1.7M per year) to land a Senate seat paying about $170,000 a year which is just 10% of that.

The arithmetic only works because because those campaigns are paid for by other people, specifically powerful groups of people (the real estate agents' PAC, mortgage bankers PAC, California prison guard's union, defense contractors, etc.).

Those other people pay for campaigns because it benefits them (cynics call it quid pro quo).

Compliant congress critters get re-elected and sometimes get the option to move into more lucrative lobbying positions. For instance, Billy Tauzin sponsored the $1T (over 10 years) Medicare part D funnel to pharmaceutical companies and was subsequently appointed president of their PhRMA lobbying organization with a seven figure salary.

American politics make a lot more sense once you notice this and stop thinking in terms of "liberal" and "conservative."

correct. Most people that I feed use plastic cards - similar to debit or credit cards.

It's quite efficient: the money is deducted from my paycheck, routed through Washington DC, then arrives at my neighbor's mailbox.

6.9 billion on terra firma and I'm buying food for others to consume.. why don't those people buy me food? - there's a question for a whole 'nother thread :)

Airtwardo posted this map on Facebook. I thought this would be a good place to share it.

Twardo's (as I know him) North America
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

New Mexico, Colorado, and Florida might object ;)

Another fault with the map is that Chicagostonia needs to be extended to include Winnipeg Manitoba as well as extend into Windsor Ontario and Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Here, this is better-written that i ever could and explains the whole "information bubble" i was talking about:

http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/gop-denial-2012-11/

TX is claiming CO & NM, because they invade our ski areas every winter.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Here, this is better-written that i ever could and explains the whole "information bubble" i was talking about:

That is an outstanding essay.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Noonan’s revealing summation of her thought process was this: “Is it possible this whole thing is playing out before our eyes and we’re not really noticing because we’re too busy looking at data on paper instead of what’s in front of us? Maybe that’s the real distortion of the polls this year: They left us discounting the world around us.” Thus is the post-fact worldview of today’s GOP boiled down to its essence. It assumes that any “data on paper” must be distorted, and yet doesn’t look at what is in front of its very own eyes either.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Romney gave almost zero specifics on how he'd make things better, his entire platform was "I'll cut taxes (however I see fit), cut spending (however I see fit), and I'm not Obama." The 47% comment and unwillingnes to release tax returns reinforced the perspective of him as an out of touch elitist, and the religous side of the party hung a social issue anchor on him.

At the start of the primary season, I was willing to give Romney a chance to win my vote. I considered it a long shot, but the chance was certainly >0. He never gave me one single reason to think I should vote for him (vs against Obama), so I went with Gary Johnson instead.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Romney gave almost zero specifics on how he'd make things better, his entire platform was "I'll cut taxes (however I see fit), cut spending (however I see fit), and I'm not Obama." The 47% comment and unwillingnes to release tax returns reinforced the perspective of him as an out of touch elitist, and the religous side of the party hung a social issue anchor on him.

At the start of the primary season, I was willing to give Romney a chance to win my vote. I considered it a long shot, but the chance was certainly >0. He never gave me one single reason to think I should vote for him (vs against Obama), so I went with Gary Johnson instead.

Blues,
Dave

No queston G. Johnston was better than Mitty but a vote for Johnston was a vote for OBAMA.

SO THAT's WHAT HAPPENED? Plenty of white guys but they just we're not organized enough to win the election. You need to stick together to win. The single reason to have voted for Mitt was to not let OBAMA to continue! Jeesh, not too hard to figure out. Didn't you think that you vote wouldn't count if you voted for Johnson? Yikes!