jclalor

Petraeus resigns from CIA

Ya know, sounds like he messed up, and is taking the road out of outing himself, rather than denying everything and holding on with his fingernails. I'm sure outing was inevitable once it started to be known, but that's never stopped anyone from denying it.

Everyone can mess up. Leading by example is admitting it when you do, and taking the consequences, rather than being forced to take them.

I don't think it's admirable to cheat on your wife. But at least he didn't claim to be hiking in appalachia or anything else stupid.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/11/04/general-david-petraeus-s-rules-for-living.html

General David Petraeus’s Rules for Living

1. Lead by example from the front of the formation. Take your performance personally—if you are proud to be average, so too will be your troops.

5. We all will make mistakes. The key is to recognize them and admit them, to learn from them, and to take off the rear­ view mirrors—drive on and avoid making them again.

Ya know, sounds like he messed up, and is taking the road out of outing himself, rather than denying everything and holding on with his fingernails. I'm sure outing was inevitable once it started to be known, but that's never stopped anyone from denying it.

Everyone can mess up. Leading by example is admitting it when you do, and taking the consequences, rather than being forced to take them.

I don't think it's admirable to cheat on your wife. But at least he didn't claim to be hiking in appalachia or anything else stupid.

Wendy P.

Yep.
Remster

Ya know, sounds like he messed up, and is taking the road out of outing himself, rather than denying everything and holding on with his fingernails.

Wendy P.

Very shortly, the resignation will be seen by the right as part of the Obama-Benghazi conspiracy.

Ya know, sounds like he messed up, and is taking the road out of outing himself, rather than denying everything and holding on with his fingernails.

Wendy P.

Very shortly, the resignation will be seen by the right as part of the Obama-Benghazi conspiracy.

It does present some imaginative possibilities.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Wendy P.

Very shortly? that angle beat the NBC resignation story to my FB news feed!:o

Having served with him and did so closely at times, I find it hard to believe, but don't think impossible. I am sure it is possible the other person was one who spent a great deal of time with him. He was on the road more days than not.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I'm wondering if Eric Holder will resign this year. I know he didnt have an affair, but I'm pontificating if the fast and the furious scandal was enough for him to step down.

don't expect him to resign willingly. With the election over, he might get pushed out the door, but I have seen no sign of such honor in him.

Sounds to me like he cut his losses as best and as quickly as he could because he got caught. If he'd simply quietly broken it off because he'd had a change of heart, but there was no risk of getting caught and outed, would he still have outed himself and resigned, purely as matter of ethics? I wonder.

Leading by example means not holding yourself to a different standard than your subordinates are held to. Adultery by an officer is oftentime punished in the US military. It makes me wonder how long this affair has been going on; and if it's been for some time, how many CIA or military subordinates of Petraeus's might have been punished for extra-marital affairs while he kept quiet about his own?

Being an "evidence guy" myself, I realize that there's tons of facts about this story we still don't know yet. I will keep an open mind. If, after more facts come to light, I need to back off my attitude, I'll do so freely.

Wendy P.

Lemme see if I understand. You are saying that someone who is having an affair can be forced to do something they don't want to do? You mean, like blackmail?

Lemme see if I understand. You are saying that someone who is having an affair can be forced to do something they don't want to do? You mean, like blackmail?

If a man in that position allows himself to get into a position to be blackmailed, he should get fired.

From what is known know, he is taking an "honourable" route.

If a man in that position allows himself to get into a position to be blackmailed, he should get fired.

From what is known know, he is taking an "honourable" route.

Pfft. Sepukku is honorable. He, on the other hand, will keep his salary earnings, keep his pension, become an expert consultant to the MSM and make millions of piasters writing books, speaking on the lecture circuit and playing golf with corporate execs. Oh, the ignominy.

You are saying that someone who is having an affair can be forced to do something they don't want to do? You mean, like blackmail?

THIS is the reason why the CIA leader with an affair is bad, bad, bad news. He has no choice. There is far too much of a security risk with him there.

I attack his judgment. But I credit him with getting this over with.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

We all know that sex and power go hand in hand. However, GEN and Mrs. Petraeus spent a tour at CENTCOM here in the Tampa Bay Area. They were actively involved in the community. I find this admission hard to believe but, I'm left with having to accept it from his lips.

It smells like Benghazi to me. Now he will not be required to testify before the Congressional Hearing next week.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Now he will not be required to testify before the Congressional Hearing next week.

I get the feeling that a Congressional subpoena doesn't care whether you are employed or not.

Part of the news byte was that he was excused from testifying.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Now he will not be required to testify before the Congressional Hearing next week.

I get the feeling that a Congressional subpoena doesn't care whether you are employed or not.

Part of the news byte was that he was excused from testifying.

I guess time will tell. News bytes not being what they used to be.

I guess we should have seen it coming just based on the name of the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Broadwell

Looks like he decided to disciple himself. Supposedly Obama was more than willing to let it slide, but Petraeus knew he was under investigation by the FBI, supposedly for access granted to Broadwell to his records.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a National Security story first and foremost. Sadly, for a lot of folks it's going to be about stuff that is none of their business.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver