devildog

Romney Picks Ryan as Running Mate

Must be why the stock market is up some 80% since he's been president.

That's widely acknowledged, by those who make their living picking stocks, to be the result of the Fed's QE policies.

And it FELL by some 30% during Bush's term.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've been reading the Tax Policy Center (TPC) article that David Firestone seems to have based his critique of Romeny's tax plan on: ON THE DISTRIBUTIONAL EFFECTS OF BASE-BROADENING INCOME TAX REFORM, along with referenced articles. The article is very well done, with assumptions clearly spelled out, and many references provided to boot. All of the referenced material is similarly well done.

I'm still forming an opinion on it, but in the meantime, the WSJ came out today with an AEI analysis covering that TPC article.

It's hard to imagine that a NewsCorp publication would turn to a neo-conservative think tank in response to research by the Brookings institution, one of the most widely respected non-partisan think tanks.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

The is starting to look like one of those threads where everything positive that happens is because of Obama and everything bad is Bushs fault.

"starting"?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's hard to imagine that a NewsCorp publication would turn to a neo-conservative think tank in response to research by the Brookings institution, one of the most widely respected non-partisan think tanks.

As you usually seem to do, you're too busy shooting the messenger to bother with the message. Did you read the article, and if so, what exactly didn't you like about their analysis?

The TPC paper is a good read. The numbers they've come up with are for limited scenarios that may, or may not, end up occurring. They really didn't need to do this analysis to make their point. Considering they are pro-progressive tax structure, simply looking at Romney's tax proposal will lead one directly to TPC's conclusion. The magnitude of the numbers are questionable, especially considering they've assumed no net impact to Federal revenues related to increasing growth, which is very questionable, IMO.

That's the whole point of Romney's tax plan - to increase growth. That is a necessary condition for us to get out of the fiscal mess the country is in.

Obama is not going to grow the economy. That's crystal clear, even more so when one listens to his people say "this is the new normal". Bullshit on that.
We are all engines of karma

As you usually seem to do, you're too busy shooting the messenger to bother with the message. Did you read the article, and if so, what exactly didn't you like about their analysis?

It's ludicrous to believe that we can cut taxes to increase revenue and decrease the deficit. We're on the wrong side of the Laffer curve for that. Further, if spending cuts are going to be used to decrease the deficit, those cuts have to include large defense spending cuts.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

We're on the wrong side of the Laffer curve for that.

Do you have any references for this? I'd be interested to read them.

Further, if spending cuts are going to be used to decrease the deficit, those cuts have to include large defense spending cuts.

While the details of "large" can be debated, +1.

Must be why the stock market is up some 80% since he's been president.

That's widely acknowledged, by those who make their living picking stocks, to be the result of the Fed's QE policies.

What?! The guys who would prefer Obama and his "regulate the banks" attitude be run out of town in favor of one of their own are attributing their success to someone other than him? Preposterous! :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Makes me sick to my stomach.... I don't think Ryan is actually going to help. Rubio might have carried FL. The chances of a "R" victory is very slim given the electoral system.

Liberal strong holds: 172 EC
Likely Liberal: 99EC
Conservative strong: 139
Likely: 42

So right there we have: 271 to 181.

oh, it's definitely still in Obama's court. But keep in mind that if they get any of the Likely Liberal states to turn over, then they've probably already won all of the undecideds as well.

We're on the wrong side of the Laffer curve for that.

Do you have any references for this? I'd be interested to read them.

Further, if spending cuts are going to be used to decrease the deficit, those cuts have to include large defense spending cuts.

While the details of "large" can be debated, +1.

The International Monetary Fund puts the maximum of the Laffer curve at 54% for the USA. We are well on the low side of that.

Tax rates during the Clinton years were probably close to optimum for producing revenues.

Using your article, ended up coming across three good videos about the Laffer curve.
The Laffer Curve, Part I: Understanding the Theory
The Laffer Curve, Part II: Reviewing the Evidence
The Laffer Curve, Part III: Dynamic Scoring

The three curves shown in the article you shared seem to suggest the "optimum" point is between 60% and 80%. That seems high. Even more so, how can they condense it to one number? Seems to me that each type of tax would have it's own Laffer curve. Still looking around to see what the literature says about the "optimum" value.

Thanks again for sharing the link.

We have made progress today with Kallend admitting that there is even such a thing as a Laffer curve.

Your research is as sloppy as your opinions.

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_35&search_string=Laffer&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=kallend&sb=post_time&mh=25

For those of you interested in a paper that actually discusses how Laffer curves are modeled, here's a paper that will give you a perspective ;)

How Far Are We From The Slippery Slope? The Laffer Curve Revisited

To me, this paper inspires confidence that these folks have seriously thought about their topic. Having dealt with large scale mathematical systems, I know very well the false sense of comfort they can engender. But, none the less, I can't help but admire this work, based upon the rough pass(es) I've made.

For those of you interested in a paper that actually discusses how Laffer curves are modeled, here's a paper that will give you a perspective ;)

How Far Are We From The Slippery Slope? The Laffer Curve Revisited

To me, this paper inspires confidence that these folks have seriously thought about their topic. Having dealt with large scale mathematical systems, I know very well the false sense of comfort they can engender. But, none the less, I can't help but admire this work, based upon the rough pass(es) I've made.

A number of analyses have been done by mathematically competent people, and every one I've seen shows that the US tax rate lies to the left of the peak of the curve.

IOW, those expecting tax cuts to decrease the deficit are living in cloud cuckoo land.