devildog

Romney Picks Ryan as Running Mate

instead of parroting left wing talking points. You might actually learn something.

LOL stop it :D:D

Please

stop it:D

Irony score 10/10

It's truly amazing that lack of basic numeracy is a characteristic of so many right wing supporters, both in general and on SC.

You've got the numeracy problem, 10/10 = 1

Your Elitist Score: 10 (out of a possible 10)

You're lucky you have smart people here to put you right.

10/10 = 100%

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

instead of parroting left wing talking points. You might actually learn something.

LOL stop it :D:D

Please

stop it:D

Irony score 10/10

It's truly amazing that lack of basic numeracy is a characteristic of so many right wing supporters, both in general and on SC.

You've got the numeracy problem, 10/10 = 1

Your Elitist Score: 10 (out of a possible 10)

You're lucky you have smart people here to put you right.

10/10 = 100%

or 1, 10 parts, of a 10 part item, equals 1, aka 100% of a single item.

This is informative!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

You know, there are a lot of things I like about Romney and Ryan, and the Republican party in general. But unless they change their stance on abortion and civil rights in general, I'm just not likely to vote for them. Maybe if I was convinced they could fix the economy and the healthcare system, but I don't have much confidence in any of the candidates being able to fix those two big issues. So for now, I'm likely to keep voting for those whose values are closest to mine on social issues.

Sadly, many take pride in their lack of basic numeracy.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

He gives Romney a real chance at a win

What votes do you think he gets Romney that weren't already his? Similarly how many votes do you think Obama gains by Ryan's selection? I'm guessing they're somewhere near a wash.

For Democrats or moderates that feel the deficit is the biggest problem for our country's future, both parties have been derelict in their duty. Neither will even propose meaningful improvement, and when they agree to form a deficit committee they don't follow through on it. Ryan is one of the few Republicans that actually follows the supposed platform of the party. It people want change, he's someone that actually could lead it.

For the Republicans that still can't get onboard with the campaign of a Mormon Massachusetts (not sure which is worse) politician, Ryan gives them a bit more reason for hope.

Hope and Change, 2012.

And yes, the VP debate will be far more interesting than the Presidential ones.

Ryan is nothing more than a hair cut on top of a copy of Atlas Shrugged.

I can see how he is appealing to the Tea Party and father right end of the party, but I can't see how he helps more than he hurts and vice versa.

I think he's total vote neutral.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ryan is nothing more than a hair cut on top of a copy of Atlas Shrugged.

I can see how he is appealing to the Tea Party and father right end of the party, but I can't see how he helps more than he hurts and vice versa.

I think he's total vote neutral.

I think he hurts a little more than he helps. He'll pick up some votes from far right voters who otherwise might stay home on election day, but he's likely to lose moderate votes that went to Obama in 2008 that Romney may have otherwise won with a running mate as moderate as he was when he governed Massachusetts. Those far right votes are worth one vote each, since they are not going to Obama under any circumstance. The moderate votes count for two votes each, since each one adds a vote to one candidate's tally while simultaneously subtracting a vote from the other candidates tally.

I respect people more who stand by their beliefs.

I respect people who can admit when they are wrong about an issue and change their mind appropriately.

The Republican Party seems to think that's a not virtue, but something to be demonized.

So weird how it ever got to that place.
quade -

Not worried about anything. I simply said that I would vote for someone whose values (I believe) are closer to mine. I'm guessing that is true for most people.

I have a bigger problem with someone whose core values are so shallow that they would change them to pander for my vote.

I guess that means you won't be voting for anyone then? :P

There are many fiscal conservatives who are not "far right". In fact there are many more in the middle that each party are looking for in November. More people will more than likely vote on economic issues this year than on social issues. If we continue to spend the way that our government does then "moral" social issues will be the least of our worries.
Let's take abortion for example, I doubt the right of a woman to have one will be overturned. On the other hand I do not want my tax dollars to subsidize it, would I be wrong for feeling that way. I do not think so because if I hold true to my libertarian believes she has a right to make that decision for herself, but be responsible for that decision on a moral and financial basis.
I have almost always voted libertarian in elections since 1976, this year I will not. We can not afford 4 more years.
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

A Tax Plan That Defies the Rules of Math

You really should branch out more from the NYTimes. Their articles are so far from balanced they can't even be used as a rational starting point for debate.

I start my day with the RealClear*.com sites, usually RealClearHistory.com, then working my way through science and politics, followed by world and markets. Lots of views there. Try using one of those articles as a starting point for something we could agree would be rational debate.
We are all engines of karma

A Tax Plan That Defies the Rules of Math

You really should branch out more from the NYTimes. Their articles are so far from balanced they can't even be used as a rational starting point for debate (and are, in general, a pretty credible news source).

I start my day with the RealClear*.com sites, usually RealClearHistory.com, then working my way through science and politics, followed by world and markets. Lots of views there. Try using one of those articles as a starting point for something we could agree would be rational debate.

I'm sorry reality clashes with your right-wing sensibilities. NYT is by no means an exclusive source for my information, but the article to which I linked makes an important point.

A quick glance at the realclearpolitics home page reveals links to a few NYT articles, so they don't seem to share your aversion.

Tom Bevan, one of the founders of "RealClear";

Said Bevan, "We think debate on the issues is a very important thing. We post a variety of opinions." He further stated, "we have a frustration all conservatives have", which is "the bias in media against conservatives, religious conservatives, [and] Christian conservatives."

Source, "Conservative Spotlight: Real Clear Politics". Human Events. Retrieved 2008-09-01.
(Unfortunately, this has since gone stale.)

In other words, he freely admits "RealClear" has a Christian/Conservative bias attempting to "correct" what he perceives to be a liberal bias in others.
quade -

I'm sorry reality clashes with your right-wing sensibilities.

Yet another credentialed liberal with demonstrably manichean views. You guys never cease to amaze me.

but the article to which I linked makes an important point.

And exactly what point would that be?

In other words, he freely admits "RealClear" has a Christian/Conservative bias attempting to "correct" what he perceives to be a liberal bias in others.

If you ever spend time there, you'll find an enormous collection of articles spanning most viewpoints.