kallend

Majors with highest income potential, 2011-12

"potential" seems like a dangerous descriptor here - the salary charts are backwards looking for those 15 year values, not forward. A nuclear engineer might again become a great field to front run in, or it could continue to sink as we still don't build plants and we start to cull the number of naval ships.

Computer science is another tough one to estimate - it took quite a hit in salaries over the past decade as offshoring to India and Russia became en vogue. This has regressed a bit as the true costs of time zone and language issues were measured, but I think it remains true that you don't want to be a mediocre software engineer in the US. You need to be in the +1 SD group.

I see engineering degrees pay big, as usual....

But I wonder how many people went to an ivy league college and got a degree in social science, drama, or art history.

Good luck paying off your tuition. I guess we'll see you at the next town burning, er, I mean, Occupy wall street rally.....:S

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Your subject title is misleading, even in the context of the article in question.

Actually, I believe the college degree with the highest earning "potential" is English. It just doesn't turn out that way very often. For every J.K. Rowling, there are a million waiters with MFAs.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I noticed how high physics was. In the mid-30's, when my dad went off to college, his real love was physics, but he majored in engineering instead, so he could get a job.

Of course, right about when he graduated was when WW2 and the Manhattan project happened. :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

...also doesn't mention much about how many graduates are able to find jobs in their fields straight out of college. It just tells you what you will make if you're one of the lucky few to be chosen.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

First time through college: Five years, one BS, one BA. Debt accrued: a crapton. Starting salary as a metallurgist: $35,000/yr.

Second time through college: TWO years, one ADN (Associates Degree in Nursing). Total debt accrued: zero. Starting salary as an RN: $42,000/yr before overtime (actually they list the average starting salary for nurses at $52,000, I started in a smallish town so it makes sense). AND four days off every week.

No worries about job hunting here: I can walk into any hospital in any city in the country, walk up to the HR department, flash them a smile and ask "when do I start?"

...Although it's off topic to mention it, I'd recommend nursing to ANYONE considering a career change.

Elvisio "the pay and time off makes up for putting up with a lot of shit (literally)" Rodriguez

In many areas teaching isn't a bad gig. Summers off, in many areas completely free medical, tenure, state or county pension etc.

Many jobs are a trade of between pay and work life balance.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Does it bother anyone else that "Elementary Education" is second from the bottom? :(

no

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

engineering?
REALLY!
Hu...who knew?
When I worked in Europe I was rocking 3k Euros a month + they paid for my appartment and stuff.

2002 When I came to the US and worked for the feds i was a GS-5-12 in NJ...so that's about $36k.
I made more money in Finalnd than i did in the US! That sucked!

Over 8 years I am at a GS-13-3 but we pay shit here, but we can pay shit here, no one is hiring engineers in NJ or the north east at the moment. And if they are the pay isn't the best from what I'm told.

But at least I make more than the average Mech E but in a very expensive location...go figure!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

2002 When I came to the US and worked for the feds i was a GS-5-12 in NJ...so that's about $36k.

You were a GS-5 with an engineering degree and experience? I interened as a GS-5 during college.

And my company is hiring like gangbusters right now. Not sure how long that'll last, but it's not all doom and gloom out there.

- Dan G

REALLY!
Hu...who knew?
When I worked in Europe I was rocking 3k Euros a month + they paid for my appartment and stuff.

You're doing at least three things wrong:

1. Working for the government. In private industry you have a _lot_ of latitude to negotiate job description and pay for an opening based on above average experience. In government you get the job and pay that's advertised perhaps with minor adjustments for more advanced degrees.

2. Working someplace not known for having a lot of engineering jobs to choose from.

3. Being the wrong sort of engineer. The maximums vary a lot more than the median. Fifteen years into a software engineering career can yield total compensation where the first digit is not one especially if you don't mind working for big companies. New graduates with zero experience are starting past $100K at the big silicon valley companies.

...also doesn't mention much about how many graduates are able to find jobs in their fields straight out of college. It just tells you what you will make if you're one of the lucky few to be chosen.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

First time through college: Five years, one BS, one BA. Debt accrued: a crapton. Starting salary as a metallurgist: $35,000/yr.

Second time through college: TWO years, one ADN (Associates Degree in Nursing). Total debt accrued: zero. Starting salary as an RN: $42,000/yr before overtime (actually they list the average starting salary for nurses at $52,000, I started in a smallish town so it makes sense). AND four days off every week.

No worries about job hunting here: I can walk into any hospital in any city in the country, walk up to the HR department, flash them a smile and ask "when do I start?"

...Although it's off topic to mention it, I'd recommend nursing to ANYONE considering a career change.

Elvisio "the pay and time off makes up for putting up with a lot of shit (literally)" Rodriguez

Wow. Nursing in the UK is a crap job, crap money, crap hours and jobs disappearing fast. Good on you.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

Agreed. Showing our ages here but Rox has a Nursing Diploma (3 year program). She needs a BSN to really begin to access the Nurse Practitioner career she would love. Still, Director of Nursing is a great gig. RNs can get a job anywhere here in Ohio, but LPNs are no longer in demand.

OTOH, I shunned a degree and have been blocked many times.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

You were a GS-5 with an engineering degree and experience? I interened as a GS-5 during college.

And my company is hiring like gangbusters right now. Not sure how long that'll last, but it's not all doom and gloom out there.

02 was a very bad year for engineers.
But that's what they were hiring at. I worked my way up to a GS-13 and now it's ok.

But remember we are talking NJ which is very expensive. But what can you do?

However that said they really do need to bump up the starting pay of engineers a little and make it more attractive. Less and less kids are choosing to study engineering which if you ask me....is a real shame!

Because what we have right now is a bunch of dull dorks and what we need are some cock and balls risk takers!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Your subject title is misleading, even in the context of the article in question.

Actually, I believe the college degree with the highest earning "potential" is English. It just doesn't turn out that way very often. For every J.K. Rowling, there are a million waiters with MFAs.

J.K.R. doesn't have a degree in English.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My oldest daughter just started a new career in Marine Insurance brokerage firm handling Risk Management for large ships, Off Shore Plateforms and Ports & shipping terminals throughout the globe. Her starting pay was 68K, which is not bad at all for a soon to be 26 year old women. She will finish her Masters in December time frame I think which is completly unrelated to the Insurance business.

My understanding, there are not any degree programs for this type of work in colleges and I often wondered why. The individuals like my sister who are involved in this type of work make a great deal of money. Her salary with Bonuses was in excess of $350K last year. (No Degree)

My daughters career path places her in a 250K salary within about 15-17 years. WOW, I'll even spell that backwards...WOW.

That's really great. Having the right contacts helps, doesn't it...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My oldest daughter just started a new career in Marine Insurance brokerage firm handling Risk Management for large ships, Off Shore Plateforms and Ports & shipping terminals throughout the globe. Her starting pay was 68K, which is not bad at all for a soon to be 26 year old women. She will finish her Masters in December time frame I think which is completly unrelated to the Insurance business.

risk management is a hodgepodge of intellectual disciplines. I suppose if you knew in advance that was your target you could do an interdisciplinary degree but just having good breadth does the job for it and many other similarly hard to group work. My IT work falls outside of true computer science programs as well. Yet many companies still really want to see a degree of any sort.

Actually, I believe the college degree with the highest earning "potential" is English. It just doesn't turn out that way very often. For every J.K. Rowling,

J.K. Rowling has a Classics degree from Exeter.

Hang on a minute, so do I! This time next decade I'll be a billionaireB|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?