JohnRich

Soylent Green Light

In the movie "Soylent Green", our future society hero Charleton Heston discovers that the bodies of the dead are being recycled to produce food for the starving masses. And now in this "light" version of that theme, comes this news story:
Minister praises plan to heat swimming pool from fires of crematorium

Sir George Young, leader of the House of Commons, said the proposal to warm a Worcestershire leisure centre with heat from a nearby crematorium was a “groundbreaking scheme”... He added that he would “die a happier man” if he knew heat from his cremation was warming the waters of a local pool.

Currently, heat from the incinerators at crematoria - which reach 800 degrees C (1,472F) - is lost into the atmosphere.

Karen Lumley, the Conservative MP for Redditch, had raised the plan as an example of an “innovative scheme which could save £14,500 a year to the taxpayer by heat not being put out into the atmosphere”.

Unison, the trade union, has previously described the cost-saving proposals as "sick and an insult to local residents"...
Full story: The Telegraph

Should it be about saving money, or respect for the dead?
Would you be comfortable swimming in a pool knowing that it is heated in this manner?

If someone thinks this is disrespectful of the dead - I'd think that person is pretty much just LOOKING for something to be upset about and they would get teased and mocked until my voice gave out.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

that the bodies of the dead are being recycled

Slight technical detail: Crematoriums do not produce heat from burning dead bodies*, they produce heat to burn dead bodies. No corpse recycling involved here.

Would you be comfortable swimming in a pool knowing that it is heated in this manner?

Would you? If not why not?

* The bodies would add fractionally to the total energy output, but obviously it's negligible.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Apart from the Calorie rich ones ........ porkers could light up a whole town

You may have just solved America's energy problem.

That would not be Soylent Green Light. That would be Deep Fried Soylent Green Extra Gravy.

...with nuts. :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Honestly, I wouldn't care. As long as the chamber for the cremation is "ceremonial" and the person has the option to collect the ashes in an urn as soon as all is said and done, does it really matter?

For me if I was cremated at such place, the real question is if the guests would be able to throw a kick ass pool party/wake afterwards on the pool deck.

Bikini's/Speedo's and a drink are the required attire.....:ph34r:

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Presumably the design would be one where the water pipes from the pool are just circulated through the crematorium exhaust to absorb some heat that's already done it's job of cremation, and that would make it acceptable. If the cremated ashes were to come in contact with the water, that's a big no go. They just need to educate everyone of how it works to make them comfortable with it.

What if they're is no one to cremate some days - does that mean a cold pool? I can imagine people making a decision to go swimming or not, based upon how many dead people are being cremated that day, and at what time. And that's still creepy. Maybe they'll keep their previous pool heating method active as backup, to cover things when the crematorium is inactive.

I grew up swimming in the Illinois river....there were dead bodies IN the water & not just there heating it. ;)

I doubt we'll hear any complaints from those living on the New Jersey shores.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If the cremated ashes were to come in contact with the water, that's a big no go.

You don't say.

What if they're is no one to cremate some days - does that mean a cold pool? I can imagine people making a decision to go swimming or not, based upon how many dead people are being cremated that day, and at what time. And that's still creepy. Maybe they'll keep their previous pool heating method active as backup, to cover things when the crematorium is inactive.

Yeah, maybe they will do that. Or maybe they will just draw up a swim schedule based on the local death rate. No, really, I can see that being a 50:50 call at this point.

:D

Should it be about saving money, or respect for the dead?

If I had the choice between being cremated in a conventional crematorium or being cremated in a crematorium which would do something useful with the heat, I would choose the latter. I always liked the idea of being useful after my death. Are you able to respect that choice?

If I had the choice between being cremated in a conventional crematorium or being cremated in a crematorium which would do something useful with the heat, I would choose the latter. I always liked the idea of being useful after my death. Are you able to respect that choice?

There's two types of respect here: 1) Respect for the dead, and; 2) Respect for the living.

If you want your dead body to be used for something, and others are willing to accept your gift, that's great. However, your wishes should not be forced upon others who don't want them.

And in this pool discussion, there may be a lot of people who are uncomfortable with the idea, and their feelings deserve respect too. There are long-standing cultural ideas at play here, that have very deep roots, and they aren't overridden easily.

>Being charitable, I will suppose that you are just unaware of the laws of
>thermodynamics.

During high school I worked at a county park as a lifeguard. The pool was next to an ice rink used for hockey practice. The pool was heated for a short time in the spring to get it to a reasonable temperature, then the heat (natural gas) was shut down to save money.

One day I was down in the machine room and noticed that the condensers for the ice rink refrigeration system were pretty close to the filtration tanks for the pool. The next day I talked to the head maintenance guy about adding a precooler to the condenser. Just dunk it in the tank and use the 70F water to cool the 140F freon. Increased efficiency for the refrigeration system, free heat for the pool. You could do it with parts from the True Value store across the street.

He had no idea what I was talking about so he bumped it up to his boss. His boss explained to me that the condensers produced a different kind of heat, the sort that could only be cooled via air. I asked him what kind of heat natural gas produced since it was used for both space heating and pool heating at the park.

"It makes both kinds," he said.

I think most people are unaware of the laws of thermodynamics.

If you want your dead body to be used for something, and others are willing to accept your gift, that's great. However, your wishes should not be forced upon others who don't want them.

The article you posted has nothing to do with dead bodies being used for anything, therefore your statement is irrelevant.

The actual idea of recompinsated carbon is from using a secret elemint called re-ice - designed to quickly builed protiens - for organ transplants - re-ice was first used in the military dearing veitnam - a myth on not something populare to talk about amongest officers-- killed off by poor funding -- but seen in privite sectors -- -- the lie --is did re-ice effectivly rebuild a living soldier -- can or will the privet sector use this technology- to lengthin age? - and does liquid carbon - formed from others give a re-ice victim from war the right of wrath. Can you come back in the future and kill the past? - why wear you sent to that war anyway - and what does it all mean? Truth-- People will kill others in this place for magic - and to keep it a secret - -wrather then seeing it and living freely for eachother in love - we pull on it and hate it for its distance - Death has no place - -it becomes a lie when you study.

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -

The actual idea of recompinsated carbon is from using a secret elemint called re-ice - designed to quickly builed protiens - for organ transplants - re-ice was first used in the military dearing veitnam - a myth on not something populare to talk about amongest officers-- killed off by poor funding -- but seen in privite sectors -- -- the lie --is did re-ice effectivly rebuild a living soldier -- can or will the privet sector use this technology- to lengthin age? - and does liquid carbon - formed from others give a re-ice victim from war the right of wrath. Can you come back in the future and kill the past? - why wear you sent to that war anyway - and what does it all mean? Truth-- People will kill others in this place for magic - and to keep it a secret - -wrather then seeing it and living freely for eachother in love - we pull on it and hate it for its distance - Death has no place - -it becomes a lie when you study.

Word.

Actually, lots of them.
Remster