frequentfaller

neutrinos exceed the speed of light.

It's premature to make that statement. Much more work would need to be done to confirm that.

Actually, Paul, that statement is spot on. That finding _seems_ to challenge relativity. That kinda means that they need to confirm things, you know...
Remster

Can neutrinos convey information? Absolutely. A neutrino burst could be short or long, with spaces in between, like Morse code. And with the Neutrino Signaling Device, you can get information 60 billionths of a second before your friends.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

What's the big deal?
So we change E=MC^2 to E=MN^2
:P

I think the Swiss clocks finally lost some time and they can't find it. Maybe VB has been screwing around again.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>Can neutrinos convey information? Absolutely.

I wouldn't be 100% sure of that. There are other entities in physics (wave-group velocities for example) that can exceed the speed of light - but cannot carry any information. If this turns out to be a similar phenomena there may be no way to encode information in the stream.

Perhaps light was just having a bad day.

If the effect is real, I'm surprised MINOS at Fermilab hasn't seen it.

A team at Fermilab had similar faster-than-light results in 2007. But that experiment had such a large margin of error that it undercut its scientific significance.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Energy/2011/09/23/European-scientists-claim-neutrinos-traveled-faster-than-speed-of-light.html

CERN is on borrowed time, they are running out of funding and interest. This it just a "hey look at me" by them once again, a couple months ago they did the same thing releasing a report that they found the GOD particle the higgs.

A couple days later after peer review of their findings...oops my bad it was a false.

I bet in a couple days they are going to say it was a false detector, or something.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Actually a technician published on a blog that there was some results that indicated a Higgs. The press then announced that CERN had found it. If I recall correctly the scientists quickly quashed that notion.
It will be a great shame if CERN shuts down due to funding. Another area for the Chinese to overtake the west perhaps.

Sher also mentions a third option: that the measurement is correct. Some theories posit that there are extra, hidden dimensions beyond the familiar four (three of space, one of time). It's possible that the speedy neutrinos tunnel through these extra dimensions, reducing the distance they have to travel to get to the target. This would explain the measurement without requiring the speed of light to be broken.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20957-dimensionhop-may-allow-neutrinos-to-cheat-light-speed.html
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

>Can neutrinos convey information? Absolutely.

I wouldn't be 100% sure of that. There are other entities in physics (wave-group velocities for example) that can exceed the speed of light - but cannot carry any information. If this turns out to be a similar phenomena there may be no way to encode information in the stream.

If it can be switched on and off, information can be encoded.

I've pondered the possibilities of this for decades and what it would mean in terms of communications and sending messages to ourselves from the future. It's a fascinating topic, but I'm afraid we're a hell of a long way from even confirming the existence of such a thing.

I wrote a short story a couple decades about it and a screenplay a few years ago. Coincidentally the discovery in those fictional stories came from neutrino research.

I'm kind of happy that if this shows even the least amount of promise of being true, I was able to make the leap in my head of how that might go down.

I might also add that if this does turn out to be true, the US needs to hop on the research as quickly as possible because the ramifications are both wonderful and incredibly frightening.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>If it can be switched on and off, information can be encoded.

Yes. And since you can modulate the RF energy of an EM wave, you can encode information in its wave group, and the wave group can have a group velocity faster than light. But the information cannot.

>I've pondered the possibilities of this for decades and what it would mean in
>terms of communications and sending messages to ourselves from the future.

Sending information faster than light does not imply the ability to send information backwards in time. (We can always, of course, send information forward in time, and a faster-than-light communications system would allow us to do that more effectively.)

Sending information faster than light does not imply the ability to send information backwards in time.

I strongly disagree.

I'm working right now so I can't really steal enough time between renders to go in much detail right now, but I'm more than willing explain my reasoning later tonight.
quade -

Remember how hard it was to make the trains run on time in Italy. Why does anyone trust them to get neutrinos to arrive on time?

My guess is that when all is said and done, they will discover that somewhere between the design and building of their facility they didn't account for a length of cable that got shortened by only a few feet.

That, or their clocks are off.
quade -