RonD1120

WHY NO SALUTE BY OBAMA @ MoH CEREMONY?

Foreign opinions are without honor.

right wing conservative christian opinions are without common sense.....

Intentional. Common sense will not lead you to salvation in Christ Jesus.

However, not on topic.

Plenty of responses that are on topic though. Like, the allegation you've quoted being false and therefore the conclusions irrelevant.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Story of Moral Outrage at Obama which turns out to be bullshit.

How many of these have we had so far?

DAILY if you check the websites like the Council of Conservative Citizens.... the almost uptown Klan site that parades as something it is not. Racism really should not be allowed to masquerade as racism without being called out often into the light of day. It does amaze me at how much of their racist DRIVEL is posted here in SC on a weekly basis.

It is a "Tradition" not a requirement.
It is a "Tradition" that is generally believed to be a slight "misunderstanding", here is why.

In the Past (Distant Past) MOH recipients had a unit parade or "Pass In Review" in their honor. They stood next to the Commander of Troops during the "Review", as the various Subordinate Commands passed by they Salute the Commanding Officer. The Commanding Officer and the MOH recipient would return the salute. This became the "Tradition".

I personally would salute any MOH recipient if I recognized them. I believe it is a sign of respect and I think they have earned my respect.

Others need not and need not voice their reasons.

Matt

+1 with respect for anyone who has gone above and beyond.

The other part of the article seems to be inaccurate too.

"Obama and the medal recipients walked together toward a large flowered wreath, bearing the words, "Medal of Honor Day," that soldiers carried on a stand and placed between them and the Tomb. Obama then placed his hands on the wreath. As a drum roll began, and Taps was played, the president the four heroes placed their right hands on their hearts."

http://www.militaryinfo.com/news_story.cfm?textnewsid=2902

"President Ronald Reagan began the practice of saluting members of our armed forces in 1981. Such salutes are generally not rendered by one not in uniform, even active duty service members.

No American president before Reagan had ever returned a salute, including former five-star Army General Dwight D. Eisenhower."
http://www.military-money-matters.com/presidential-salute.html

A salute is a MILITARY sign of respect. Obama, while the commander in chief, is a CIVILIAN.

Military regulations appear to state that a salute is not required when one is wearing civilian clothes. Therefore, Obama would not be required to salute, but it appears that as CIC, he MAY salute if he chooses to do so, given the change in tradition made by Reagan. A while back, Obama was heavily criticized by Fox News and some military blogs for doing so during the arrival of a military casket. Perhaps he chose not to do so at this occasion in an attempt to avoid controversy at this important ceremony.

Frankly, I can't stand Obama, and I think he's one of the worst presidents we've had recently. That said, this is stupid. There are so many legitimate things to criticize him for I don't understand why people continue to make things up. It undermines the credibility of Obama's critics and causes people to stop listening.

Foreign opinions are without honor.

right wing conservative christian opinions are without common sense.....

Intentional. Common sense will not lead you to salvation in Christ Jesus.

However, not on topic.

So, despite supposedly being "created" with the unique ability to reason (according to the bible you follow), you turn your back on reason and logic and instead advocate blind acceptance of whatever "truth" the conservative blog-o-sphere (or minister, or whatever authority figure feels correct today) vomits up. Too bad we don't have the technology for you to donate some of your cerebral hemispheres to soldiers who have suffered brain injuries, as it seems you don't care to use what you have.

Don

So, despite supposedly being "created" with the unique ability to reason (according to the bible you follow), you turn your back on reason and logic and instead advocate blind acceptance of whatever "truth" the conservative blog-o-sphere (or minister, or whatever authority figure feels correct today) vomits up. Too bad we don't have the technology for you to donate some of your cerebral hemispheres to soldiers who have suffered brain injuries, as it seems you don't care to use what you have.

sweet

I'm no fan of BHO, this is much about NOTHING. Let's all keep this thing in proper perspective.

It's not about the POTUS, it's not about some political agenda, it's about a young soldiers heroic actions under fire. Nothing more, nothing less.

From everything I've read this young man will wear the medal well. He hasn't made the entire thing about him, why should some make it about the POTUS.

Honor and respect the young man for his actions, honor and respect the office that presented him with our nations highest military honor.

Geez.........

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

The other part of the article seems to be inaccurate too.

"Obama and the medal recipients walked together toward a large flowered wreath, bearing the words, "Medal of Honor Day," that soldiers carried on a stand and placed between them and the Tomb. Obama then placed his hands on the wreath. As a drum roll began, and Taps was played, the president the four heroes placed their right hands on their hearts."

http://www.militaryinfo.com/news_story.cfm?textnewsid=2902

"President Ronald Reagan began the practice of saluting members of our armed forces in 1981. Such salutes are generally not rendered by one not in uniform, even active duty service members.

No American president before Reagan had ever returned a salute, including former five-star Army General Dwight D. Eisenhower."
http://www.military-money-matters.com/presidential-salute.html

A salute is a MILITARY sign of respect. Obama, while the commander in chief, is a CIVILIAN.

Military regulations appear to state that a salute is not required when one is wearing civilian clothes. Therefore, Obama would not be required to salute, but it appears that as CIC, he MAY salute if he chooses to do so, given the change in tradition made by Reagan. A while back, Obama was heavily criticized by Fox News and some military blogs for doing so during the arrival of a military casket. Perhaps he chose not to do so at this occasion in an attempt to avoid controversy at this important ceremony.

Frankly, I can't stand Obama, and I think he's one of the worst presidents we've had recently. That said, this is stupid. There are so many legitimate things to criticize him for I don't understand why people continue to make things up. It undermines the credibility of Obama's critics and causes people to stop listening.

Your position is accurate. Some Vietnam Veterans weighed in on Lloyd's blog post with basically the same conclusion. That is, Lloyd is not familiar military protocol and the POTUS is free to behave as he chooses during such ceremonies.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Your position is accurate. Some Vietnam Veterans weighed in on Lloyd's blog post with basically the same conclusion. That is, Lloyd is not familiar military protocol and the POTUS is free to behave as he chooses during such ceremonies.

It's an embarrassment to have someone with such awful research skills call himself an attorney. I found my sources in about thirty seconds on google. If you're going to write an article and post it on the internet for the whole world to see, looking up the military salute protocol isn't that hard, even if you don't have internet access. As this guy's got a blog, I'm going to assume he's got an internet connection and a keyboard and at least some sort of idea how to use them.

If a former five star general didn't salute when he was president, Lloyd has no business criticizing a civilian for doing exactly the same thing.

It's an embarrassment to have someone with such awful research skills call himself an attorney. I found my sources in about thirty seconds on google. If you're going to write an article and post it on the internet for the whole world to see, looking up the military salute protocol isn't that hard, even if you don't have internet access.

Normally the saying is: "don't attribute to malice what is caused by incompetence." However, in the political online arena, I think malice and laziness (re-posters) are the two primary leaders.

I'll wade in.

I'm on active duty. I've served over 26 years so far.

Military members do salute when in civilian clothing. We don't give lower enlisted a hard time if they do not. They are generally not viewed as career Soldiers. Ranking NCOs and officers, however, will salute someone of higher rank whenever they recognize them. It is a sign of a respectful professional. It has nothing to do with regulations. Some of us are careful to salute retired seniors for the same reason.

The President is not required to salute. Until Ronald Reagan, they did not return the salutes of the Marines who guard the White House.

I do not require anyone to earn my respect or courtesy. If I deny someone respect or courtesy, I view myself as disrespectful and discourteous. I have heard many people state that others have to earn their respect. I think those people see themselves as much more important than they likely are.

If you fail to show respect or courtesy to another, I do not look at the other as unworthy. I look at you as a person who has no respect for others.

Just my position. I'm sure some disrespectful person will fail to understand and post evidence of such failure herein.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Thank you for your service. It's much appreciated.

Just my take on it from watching some video footage: If a five star general didn't consider failing to return a salute when acting as a civilian CIC disrespectful, I think that says a lot about the situation. Reagan and both Bushes were former military. Clinton and Obama were not. Neither Clinton nor Obama seem comfortable with salutes, probably because they are civilians, and I'm guessing they know that they aren't as sharp at it as the military folks and probably look a bit silly, since they weren't doing it for years and it's not a natural response.

Reagan asked his military advisor if he could return the salutes of the military who were saluting him, and the response was that he was the CIC and could do what he wanted. So he started saluting. Before that, nobody had done it. Reagan broke a 200 year old tradition of acknowledging that the POTUS was a civilian CIC.

Good points.

I cannot imagine anyone of good faith and reasonable objectivity, who had viewed footage of the award ceremony, deeming Obama's demeanor as being anything but consummately respectful. Any spin to the contrary is just insulting to the intelligence.