Amazon

Feds: Car-bomb plot busted at Portland tree lighting

http://www.king5.com/news/Feds-Car-bombing-busted-at-Portland-tree-lighting-110897964.html

by WILLIAM McCALL, Associated Press

Posted on November 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM
Updated yesterday at 11:08 PM

PORTLAND, OR. -- Federal prosecutors say a Somali-born teenager plotted to carry out a car bomb attack at a crowded Christmas tree lighting ceremony in downtown Portland on Friday but the bomb turned out to be a dud supplied by undercover agents as part of a sting.
Mohamed Osman Mohamud was arrested at about 5:45 p.m. just after he dialed a cell phone that he thought would blow up a van laden with explosives but instead brought federal agents and Portland police swooping in to take him into custody.
Federal court documents show the sting operation began in June after an undercover agent learned that Mohamud had been in contact with an "unindicted associate" in Pakistan's Northwest Frontier region.
Mohamud is a naturalized U.S. citizen who has been living in Corvallis.
The Christmas tree lighting in Pioneer Courthouse Square is a popular annual tradition that draws thousands of onlookers to downtown Portland

Chalk up another one for the good guys.>:(

how many man hours does it take to find a kid who wants to do these things, convince him that the cops are terrorists, sell him a fake bomb, and tell him where & when to set it off?

I'm sure if we were allowed to see the whole story, it might come out that it was part of another operation that identified the kid as a possible threat, and that got handed off to another group than took care of the rest, and maybe, just maybe, if that's the way it happened, then it wasn't a total waste of resources.

Forgive me for being skeptical, but whenever I see "sting operation" and "fake bomb" 2 things go though my head, "glad it wasn't real" and "the good guys needed press, so they sold a fake bomb to some kid and held a press conference."
--
Rob

how many man hours does it take to find a kid who wants to do these things, convince him that the cops are terrorists, sell him a fake bomb, and tell him where & when to set it off?

I'm sure if we were allowed to see the whole story, it might come out that it was part of another operation that identified the kid as a possible threat, and that got handed off to another group than took care of the rest, and maybe, just maybe, if that's the way it happened, then it wasn't a total waste of resources.

Forgive me for being skeptical, but whenever I see "sting operation" and "fake bomb" 2 things go though my head, "glad it wasn't real" and "the good guys needed press, so they sold a fake bomb to some kid and held a press conference."

Re-read the story. They started following him around when they learned that he had contact with an "unindicted associate" in Pakistan's Northwest Frontier region.

Probably the reason you won't see the whole story is because they don't want to give away sources. It would suck to have a good source in Pakistan get his head cut off for cooperating with the U.S. to find terrorists.

To me, this is just another reason why we should be profiling instead of searching 3 year old blond haired, blue eyed girls from Minnesota or silver haired grandma's from Iowa. It wasn't a pat down that stopped the terrorists attack.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Why the angry face? It sounds like damn good police work to me![:/]

I totally agree, great police work. Thank god they were able to intervene, the loss of innocent life would have been huge.

Good police work..... BUT their need for a fucking photo op makes it harder to catch those who would not buy the goodies they need to do the deed.... in the do it yourself segment of those who seek to kill Americans for Allah.

Keeping ops covert... is preferable in this war.

If you read the version of the story off the AP wire he's been planning this for a while, he procured a number of the bomb components himself, and set off a test bomb out in the woods earlier this month.

From what I've read, I feel a lot more comfortable with this sting than some of the ones that were in the news a couple years ago. For anyone to whom my opinion means anything.

http://www.king5.com/news/Feds-Car-bombing-busted-at-Portland-tree-lighting-110897964.html

by WILLIAM McCALL, Associated Press

Posted on November 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM
Updated yesterday at 11:08 PM

PORTLAND, OR. -- Federal prosecutors say a Somali-born teenager plotted to carry out a car bomb attack at a crowded Christmas tree lighting ceremony in downtown Portland on Friday but the bomb turned out to be a dud supplied by undercover agents as part of a sting.
Mohamed Osman Mohamud was arrested at about 5:45 p.m. just after he dialed a cell phone that he thought would blow up a van laden with explosives but instead brought federal agents and Portland police swooping in to take him into custody.
Federal court documents show the sting operation began in June after an undercover agent learned that Mohamud had been in contact with an "unindicted associate" in Pakistan's Northwest Frontier region.
Mohamud is a naturalized U.S. citizen who has been living in Corvallis.
The Christmas tree lighting in Pioneer Courthouse Square is a popular annual tradition that draws thousands of onlookers to downtown Portland

Chalk up another one for the good guys.>:(

Guess what his name is.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Looks like, according to the AP story, he was about to deploy a WMD.

"Mohamud, a naturalized U.S. citizen living in Corvallis, was charged with attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction,.........."

Saddam should have been trying to buy cake from Somalia rather than Niger.:S

I'm sure if we were allowed to see the whole story,

You should not be so sure. You are wrong. It would seem that you might vastly underestimate the threat from Islamofacists.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Notice how he looks like Sideshow Bob? Coincidence? I don't think so.

I think he looks like the "cell block sweetheart" in what the movie "Office Space" referred to as "butt slammer prison". Hope the little shit enjoys himself.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Guess what his name is.

mh

Jesus?, Carlos?, Christian. Go figure, 2nd or thirs muslim recently naturalized trying to blow up stuff and kill a bunch of people, within months. It really must not be an ideological thing right? It had to be an extremely rare, statistical random probability....
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

how many man hours does it take to find a kid who wants to do these things, convince him that the cops are terrorists, sell him a fake bomb, and tell him where & when to set it off

i would guess that it must take a while because normal people couldn't be convinced that it is a good idea to car bomb a public gathering like that.
normal people do not want to intentionally kill children. the fbi cannot "convince" non-psychopaths to do that.

the fbi found this nutcase through tips from the normal people in his community.

Ya, despite Portland NOT working with the feds

Glad you are proud of the Portland City council
a true bunch of ass hats
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Ya, despite Portland NOT working with the feds

"but instead brought federal agents and Portland police swooping in to take him into custody."

"There was no detonation when he dialed, and when he tried again federal agents and police made their move."

D'oh!

>Ya, despite Portland NOT working with the feds

"but instead brought federal agents and Portland police swooping in to take him into custody."

"There was no detonation when he dialed, and when he tried again federal agents and police made their move."

D'oh!

whoosh

:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln