skyrider

Becoming a "Mod" here?

what are the "mod" english skills requirements ? if any !

The only requirements I can think of are the trust of the site owner and a really thick skin.

Oh, and typing . . . there's a bit of typing involved. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

One way to do that is simply to have the student turn in all work that needs grammar and spelling evaluated in longhand.

Wendy P.

Long hand should be the norm. Allowing word processed homework actively encourages kids to simply cut and paste material from websites. Believe me we have a constant battle with our 14 year old daughter where homework is done collaboratively via facebook with substantial cut and paste from websites.

I think comprehension and self discipline are far more important than spelling. Some time ago I came across the following.

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

I couldn't believe that I could actually understand what I was reading. Using the incredible power of the human mind, according to research at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. The rest can be total mess and you can still read it without a problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole. Amazing, huh? Yeah and I always thought spelling was important! See if your friends can read this too.

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Long hand should be the norm. Allowing word processed homework actively encourages kids to simply cut and paste material from websites. Believe me we have a constant battle with our 14 year old daughter where homework is done collaboratively via facebook with substantial cut and paste from websites.

You have a certain point; but there's a flip-side to the same dynamic that I noticed raising my own kids: by the time they're nearing the end of high school, kids of the current generation have developed far, far more adept and sophisticated skills in research-based scholarship than their pre-Internet parents had at the same age. Being in a career myself where I've done a ton of both library-book and online research, I can state that online research is often far more efficient and expansive than library research is.

Of course, if someone else does the research for you (or if there's too much "collaboration"), that's different. But my kids did their online research themselves (we monitored their homework, etc. closely), and by the time they were age 18 they had far more expert research skills than my wife or I ever had until we were at least in our late 20s with far more formal education. I see that paying off for them today as college students.

we monitored their homework, etc.

There's your key. Kids are efficient little critters -- many of them would plagiarize if they thought they'd get away with it. It's parents' job, with the teacher as the second line, to make that undesirable.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One way to do that is simply to have the student turn in all work that needs grammar and spelling evaluated in longhand.

Wendy P.

I think comprehension and self discipline are far more important than spelling. Some time ago I came across the following.

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

I couldn't believe that I could actually understand what I was reading. Using the incredible power of the human mind, according to research at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be in the right place. The rest can be total mess and you can still read it without a problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a whole. Amazing, huh? Yeah and I always thought spelling was important! See if your friends can read this too.

Please note.... the first quote has appropriate upper and lower case usage as well as punctuation that make it less painful to read than the usual posts by some who post here in SC!!!

>Typing is a skill that 65% of the people in the U.S workforce don't
>need today...

Well, perhaps. But that relegates them to mixing concrete, sweeping floors or asking "do you want fries with that?" (Not lifting boxes; Fedex and UPS requires you to know how to type.)

>they should be working with their hands.

I work with my hands a fair amount - but I wouldn't have the job I do if I couldn't write via a keyboard.

>need today...

Well, perhaps. But that relegates them to mixing concrete, sweeping floors or asking "do you want fries with that?" (Not lifting boxes; Fedex and UPS requires you to know how to type.)

I work with my hands a fair amount - but I wouldn't have the job I do if I couldn't write via a keyboard.

How may wood framers, steel framers, plumbers, electricians, or general tradesmen and their helpers need to be able to type to work with their hands?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>need today...

How may wood framers, steel framers, plumbers, electricians, or general tradesmen and their helpers need to be able to type to work with their hands?

Hey I would be good with those people you hire being able to read and write in English, so they can actually read the blueprints, plans, and schedules.

>How may wood framers, steel framers, plumbers, electricians, or general
>tradesmen and their helpers need to be able to type to work with their
>hands?

Any that want to be able to enter work orders, look up drawings on a computer, figure out amperage, gas type and flow rate for a given weld, order additional supplies on line, get the latest grounding rules from the NEC/NFPA etc.

Now, can you be an electrician without doing any of that? Absolutely - just not a very effective one.

Possibly not a whole lot, if (a) they wanted to do nothing but that all their lives (which is fine; there's nothing dishonorable about any work or trade), and (b) they wanted to be somebody else's employee all their lives. But even if they stayed in that basic trade, if they wanted to start their own contracting business and grow it, or perhaps parley their trade into some kind of foreman-type position at a plant, not being able to type at all will be a real degree of handicap. Even such things as work-related e-mails can be damned difficult if you have zero typing ability. (You don't even have to know how to touch-type; just using the "four-finger, looking at the keyboard" method is good enough for a lot of people to get by.)

But let's be frank - over the past generation, the computer has become as essential an everyday tool as a car. That means that at least basic typing has become as much of an essential life skill in our society as the ability to drive a car has become. Whatever the technology of the time may be, people need to either keep up with the times, or they get left behind and marginalized.

>need today...

Hey I would be good with those people you hire being able to read and write in English, so they can actually read the blueprints, plans, and schedules.

That is actually a requirement to work on any of my job sites. I also install a computer and the Supoerintendant and PM both have the responsibility to make sure everyone is e-verified before they are allowed to work there.

If by some chance they are not listed, or the info is wrong, I just have them sent home.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Possibly not a whole lot, if (a) they wanted to do nothing but that all their lives (which is fine; there's nothing dishonorable about any work or trade), and (b) they wanted to be somebody else's employee all their lives. But even if they stayed in that basic trade, if they wanted to start their own contracting business and grow it, or perhaps parley their trade into some kind of foreman-type position at a plant, not being able to type at all will be a real degree of handicap. Even such things as work-related e-mails can be damned difficult if you have zero typing ability. (You don't even have to know how to touch-type; just using the "four-finger, looking at the keyboard" method is good enough for a lot of people to get by.)

But let's be frank - over the past generation, the computer has become as essential an everyday tool as a car. That means that at least basic typing has become as much of an essential life skill in our society as the ability to drive a car has become. Whatever the technology of the time may be, people need to either keep up with the times, or they get left behind and marginalized.

Which was my point.

Wendy or Bill suggested that the papers be written out in long hand. I disagree - and that it wasn't as efficient as typing.

It went from there to someone erroneously stating that 95% of the job force requires typing skills, or something along those lines, I'm not searching for it.

Damn it's getting cold . . . did we just agree or something?

Wendy or Bill suggested that the papers be written out in long hand. I disagree - and that it wasn't as efficient as typing.

I suggested longhand for papers where spelling and grammar are the primary focus, not for all of them.

If a kid wrote a composition about a grocery store trip and had an arithmetic error in an otherwise well-written story, should they be penalized for the math error?

Isn't that kind of like picking on a typo in an SC post :):P

I don't think that any single method should be taught for much of anything. People are different, what works best can be different for different situations, and kids should learn that there's more than one way to approach a lot of problems.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Wendy or Bill suggested that the papers be written out in long hand.

Nope, I said "whatever works." If longhand works to avoid cut-and-pasting and or spellchecking, great. If typing longer papers works better for a later writing class, that's great too. The right tool for the job.

If a kid wrote a composition about a grocery store trip and had an arithmetic error in an otherwise well-written story, should they be penalized for the math error?

It should, at the very least, be pointed out to them.

Teaching more than one discipline for each assignment is a valid goal.
quade -

I suggested longhand for papers where spelling and grammar are the primary focus, not for all of them.

Isn't that kind of like picking on a typo in an SC post :):P

I don't think that any single method should be taught for much of anything. People are different, what works best can be different for different situations, and kids should learn that there's more than one way to approach a lot of problems.

Wendy P.

I don't think that SC is going on my permanent transcripts.:ph34r:

So you have a 5000 word essay (Which we often did in HS). Spelling grammar AND arithmetic:P are graded.
Long hand would be extremely inefficient in todays world. By the time the student has acheived the level of education that the essay would be required, writing should not be an issue.(If it is - then the school system failed)

A typed document, verified by a code that spell check was not used, would be very efficient, and academically more prudent, as it would teach a valuable skill (Typing/Computer Usage)

You have a certain point; but there's a flip-side to the same dynamic that I noticed raising my own kids: by the time they're nearing the end of high school, kids of the current generation have developed far, far more adept and sophisticated skills in research-based scholarship than their pre-Internet parents had at the same age. Being in a career myself where I've done a ton of both library-book and online research, I can state that online research is often far more efficient and expansive than library research is.

Of course, if someone else does the research for you (or if there's too much "collaboration"), that's different. But my kids did their online research themselves (we monitored their homework, etc. closely), and by the time they were age 18 they had far more expert research skills than my wife or I ever had until we were at least in our late 20s with far more formal education. I see that paying off for them today as college students.

I fully agree that the ability to research correctly is a critical skill. One of the things that I am really grateful to my parents for is that they bought a typewriter for us kids when I was about 10 and we were not allowed to use it until we could touch type. I have pretty much lost the art of writing by hand and when I do it is barely legible.

My daughter is now 14 and has used computers since she was a toddler - you have kids it is pretty much a full time job checking that she is not "cheating" at homework. We do have a fantastic parental key logger installed and it drives her nuts that I can prove her cheating and on-line activity (right down to screen shots). That has proved an excellent deterrent.

Anyway back to the subject of being a Mod here - you need to be insane for a start. Over in the DB Cooper thread someone suggested that Quade "sell" printed copies of the thread:D. If Bonfire is for boobies and SC for arguments the Cooper thread is definitely for looneys and being stuck moderating that I am pretty sure you end up mad.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

If Bonfire is for boobies and SC for arguments the Cooper thread is definitely for looneys and being stuck moderating that I am pretty sure you end up mad.

I have always been fascinated by eccentrics.
quade -

So you have a 5000 word essay (Which we often did in HS). Spelling grammar AND arithmetic are graded.
Long hand would be extremely inefficient in todays world. By the time the student has acheived the level of education that the essay would be required, writing should not be an issue.(If it is - then the school system failed)

A typed document, verified by a code that spell check was not used, would be very efficient, and academically more prudent, as it would teach a valuable skill (Typing/Computer Usage)

Which the teacher can then feed into the computer, so it, in stead of he/her, can check it for spelling and grammar. You know, in light of efficiency.

I had to hand in my essays in long hand, I don't see why that would now no longer be possible. probably would improve some of the penmanship of today's students.

So you have a 5000 word essay (Which we often did in HS). Spelling grammar AND arithmetic are graded.
Long hand would be extremely inefficient in todays world. By the time the stud
ent has acheived the level of education that the essay would be required, writing should not be an issue.(If it is - then the school system failed)

Which the teacher can then feed into the computer, so it, in stead of he/her, can check it for spelling and grammar. You know, in light of efficiency.

I had to hand in my essays in long hand, I don't see why that would now no longer be possible. probably would improve some of the penmanship of today's students.

if the teacher uses the spell check then you could remove them from the loop - efficiency!

Drama queen :P

Mods here are, imo, very neutral when moderating. However, that doesn't mean they cannot express an opinion. Of course people are human, and make mistakes or judgement calls. Part of the job.

Remember, no-one is moderating WHAT you think, just how it's expressed.

I've never seen your name here, the "Majority" are Opinonated and VERY pushy! They can insult, no one else can...

Fuck drama queens ...I'm just trying to figure out how such people got the title "Moderator"![:/]

Drama queen :P

Mods here are, imo, very neutral when moderating. However, that doesn't mean they cannot express an opinion. Of course people are human, and make mistakes or judgement calls. Part of the job.

Remember, no-one is moderating WHAT you think, just how it's expressed.

I've never seen your name here, the "Majority" are Opinonated and VERY pushy! They can insult, no one else can...

Fuck drama queens ...I'm just trying to figure out how such people got the title "Moderator"![:/]

Take deep breath - exhale slowly.

feel better -

Lighten up man - it's alla party . . . just hang out and have fun.

DO NOT take it seriously or you will pop.