skyrider

Becoming a "Mod" here?

I don't think we've been talking about "finer points of English" on SC as a rule :ph34r:. There are a whole lot of finer points of English that I don't know (pretty much everything that has to do with Deconstruction -- that just doesn't make much sense to me). And as far as using longhand to write out material in school: school isn't meant to be all about efficiency. If it were, kids wouldn't have to write out their homework when they just learned it that afternoon (at least that's what I told my parents when I didn't want to do my homework).

Wendy P.

:D

I think I tried that as well, didn't work well for me either.:D

As the tech advances, efficiency has to improve to keep up.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have it on good authority Steven King still writes the first drafts of his books long hand.

Writing isn't about volume, it's about quality.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have it on good authority Steven King still writes the first drafts of his books long hand.

How many young Americans do you think the school systems are honestly focusing on teaching how to be eccentric horror author?

King is an anomoly. One might go so far as to say that he is the exeption that proves the rule.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

How many young Americans do you think the school systems are honestly focusing on teaching how to be eccentric horror author?
King is an anomoly. One might go so far as to say that he is the exeption that proves the rule.

I can argue either side of this. I also have an example of a prolific two-finger typist that has cranked out a novel in a day; Harlan Ellison.

That said, I still think being prolific (efficient) takes a back seat to being good, for instance; Harper Lee.
quade -

>How many young Americans do you think the school systems are honestly
>focusing on teaching how to be eccentric horror author?

Probably the same number that school systems are focusing on teaching how to be skydiving manufacturing company copy writers, or athletic shoe jingle creators, or lyricists for northern Wisconsin grunge bands.

In other words, none. They should instead be trying to produce people who can write - then they can go on to do any of the above jobs.

>How many young Americans do you think the school systems are honestly
>focusing on teaching how to be eccentric horror author?

Probably the same number that school systems are focusing on teaching how to be skydiving manufacturing company copy writers, or athletic shoe jingle creators, or lyricists for northern Wisconsin grunge bands.

In other words, none. They should instead be trying to produce people who can write - then they can go on to do any of the above jobs.

So they should be able to write, but not be allowed to learn how to be more efficient using modern day tools. Got it. Thanks.

>So they should be able to write but not be allowed to learn how to be more
>efficient using modern day tools.

Not at all - but feel free to make any other foolish assumptions you like.

You wrote: "They should instead be trying to produce people who can write"

>You wrote: "They should instead be trying to produce people who can write"

Correct. They should be. And that has nothing to do with your foolish statement.

What statement are you claiming was foolish?

>What statement are you claiming was foolish?

"they should be able to write, but not be allowed to learn how to be more efficient using modern day tools."

Let me bold the important part of your message for you.

They should instead be trying to produce people who can write.

Intead of what, Bill? The topic was efficiency. The two are not mutually exclusive. You can do both. You don't have to write out all your papers longhand to learn how to write.

>"They should instead be trying to produce people who can write."

>Intead of what, Bill?

Instead of what you yourself stated: "focusing on teaching how to be eccentric horror author." It was in the post you replied to.

You qualified your statement with "None."

I asked how many were focusing on that.

I see how you worded it now, and yes, I can also see where I was wrong in my interpretation of what you were trying to say. I also hope you can see where it could have been taken another way.

>You qualified your statement with "None."

Right. I don't think any schools should be teaching to such specific disciplines. They should be teaching writing, not horror writing or jingle writing or any of those other specialties. God knows we have enough problems with people writing to begin with.

On the topic of what device they use - whatever works best. You have to teach handwriting; it's a required skill for anyone who wants to communicate in today's world, and will be for some time. Typing is a skill that 95% of the people in the workforce need today, but is not required to become a good writer - so teaching typing isn't essential in a writing class.

In terms of what teachers will accept, most (in my experience) will accept either printed or handwritten material. The spellcheck issue isn't such a big one since it's pretty easy to identify people who can't spell in a piece of prose; with a spellchecker they just make different mistakes.

>You qualified your statement with "None."

Right. I don't think any schools should be teaching to such specific disciplines. They should be teaching writing, not horror writing or jingle writing or any of those other specialties. God knows we have enough problems with people writing to begin with.

On the topic of what device they use - whatever works best. You have to teach handwriting; it's a required skill for anyone who wants to communicate in today's world, and will be for some time. Typing is a skill that 95% of the people in the workforce need today, but is not required to become a good writer - so teaching typing isn't essential in a writing class.

In terms of what teachers will accept, most (in my experience) will accept either printed or handwritten material. The spellcheck issue isn't such a big one since it's pretty easy to identify people who can't spell in a piece of prose; with a spellchecker they just make different mistakes.

I would be happy if the schools turned out people who can communicate with others effectively instead of so many who try their very best to have the communication skills of an imbecile.

I find it highly amusing that some ADULTS, especially those who babble on and on about personal responsibility, will sit there and BLAME the schools for their atrocious spelling, punctuation and grammar.:D

A typo here or there is one thing but the misspellings, lack of upper and lowercase usage, complete and utter disuse of paragraphs to make their points in a cogent manner AND then make excuses like the libs are at fault for it........... that just makes my head hurt.
:S:S:S:S

Typing is a skill that 95% 65% of the people in the U.S workforce don't need today...they should be working with their hands.

stike out/Emphasis mine

...and no, I don't mean typing.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Typing is a skill that 95% 65% of the people in the U.S workforce don't need today...they should be working with their hands.

stike out/Emphasis mine

I'm working in an attempt to give a countless number of people employment just by me "typing." If successful, dozens of people will be employed "working with their hands" (carpenters, painters, seamstresses, caterers) and others will be employed doing dozens of other things that will also require "typing." All of which will feed their families, but it all requires somebody like me to first do a bit of "typing."

I really don't think you should discount it as a worthwhile skill.
quade -

stike out/Emphasis mine

I'm working in an attempt to give a countless number of people employment just by me "typing." If successful, dozens of people will be employed "working with their hands" (carpenters, painters, seamstresses, caterers) and others will be employed doing dozens of other things that will also require "typing." All of which will feed their families, but it all requires somebody like me to first do a bit of "typing."

I really don't think you should discount it as a worthwhile skill.

Well goodie two shoes for you, but I seriously doubt that it has to require 95% typing.

...btw, are you gonna pay them with Dos Equis?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I can argue either side of this. I also have an example of a prolific two-finger typist that has cranked out a novel in a day; Harlan Ellison.

That said, I still think being prolific (efficient) takes a back seat to being good, for instance; Harper Lee.

harlan ellison wrote some very good short stories - 'i have no mouth and i must scream' is one of my favourites. also the 'dangerous visions' collections of short stories he put together were brilliant :)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding