ryoder

The tranny is the *conservative*???

Acceptance is voluntary, tolerance is forced.

I think this is where different people will shade the meanings of those words slightly differently. To me, acceptance indicates a certain participation, while tolerance says that I accept their right to participate, without choosing to do so myself.

So maybe others' tolerance is my acceptance of their right to do something. Or something like that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think this is where different people will shade the meanings of those words slightly differently. To me, acceptance indicates a certain participation, while tolerance says that I accept their right to participate, without choosing to do so myself.

So maybe others' tolerance is my acceptance of their right to do something. Or something like that.

Wendy P.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

All shall be tolerant under pane of death.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

characterizing it as party-based is probably more harmful than helpful any more, because it alienates people as they change

I really do love that comment, Wendy. This is really my point all along. Party line stereotypes are idiotic and only address the fringes of both sides while royally doing a disservice to EVERYONE else.

and it's one reason I can't hardly stand it in here anymore, the place is rife with it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If it is offensive to the majority, who is to say this it is correct to shove it down their throats?

I'll take, "The Constitution," for $1000, Alex.

So in your eyes, only the minorities should have rights.

I'd actually say his comment is "only individuals should have rights"

and I'd agree

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Wendy P.

I like Winsor's take on it.

Tolerance used to have your connotation which is pretty much indistinguishable from "acceptance". But now it definitely has taken on an "enforced acceptance by law" definition under the PC police.

Seriously, when you hear about 'tolerance' a lot of people default to litigation thoughts.

Weltanschauung (I am not sure what it is in English)

worldview

Bing Translater says:

Translation
Belief
Dictionaryfeminine
philosophy (of life)

Not that you would use Bing;)

No, I don't like having to click several times to get to the results. ;)

Google gave it as "world view" or "world outlook"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Acceptance is voluntary, tolerance is forced.

I'd argue both are voluntary.

Acceptance generally connotes tacit approval. After a time you may come to accept your daughter's decision to get married at age 18; you no longer disapprove of what she did, and can get on speaking terms with her new husband etc.

Tolerance generally connotes living peacefully with something you disagree with. One of our neighbors keeps his dog outside 24/7 and never goes into the yard; the dog has lived his whole life in a 10 foot by 50 foot space. They feed him through the door. He barks pretty much nonstop.

Do I accept treating a dog like that? Not really; I think that's pretty cruel. But do I tolerate it? Yes. It's their dog and their decision.

Weltanschauung (I am not sure what it is in English)

worldview

Bing Translater says:

Translation
Belief
Dictionaryfeminine
philosophy (of life)

Not that you would use Bing;)

No, I don't like having to click several times to get to the results. ;)

Google gave it as "world view" or "world outlook"

One right click on the highlighted text with the Bing Translate and voila:)

Translation
voila
Dictionary
voilà
voilà [vwala]
there is sg, there are pl; (et) voilà! there you are! ; en voilà assez! that’s enough! ; voilà tout that’s all ; voilà pourquoi that’s why ; me voilà here I am ; voilà deux ans qu’il ne nous a pas écrit he hasn’t written to us in two years

>Acceptance is voluntary, tolerance is forced.

I'd argue both are voluntary.

Acceptance generally connotes tacit approval. After a time you may come to accept your daughter's decision to get married at age 18; you no longer disapprove of what she did, and can get on speaking terms with her new husband etc.

Tolerance generally connotes living peacefully with something you disagree with. One of our neighbors keeps his dog outside 24/7 and never goes into the yard; the dog has lived his whole life in a 10 foot by 50 foot space. They feed him through the door. He barks pretty much nonstop.

Do I accept treating a dog like that? Not really; I think that's pretty cruel. But do I tolerate it? Yes. It's their dog and their decision.

I think that is in keeping with the forced nature of your position. You do not accept the treatment of the dog, but your hands are tied. Thus, though you find it unacceptable, you tolerate it.

This gets back to what I don't like about the idea of "tolerance." The basic idea is "you suck, but it is not worth conflict about it."

I find the sanctimony inherent in someone "tolerating" me to be distasteful. I would rather have them simply say "you suck," and mean it than to say that they are such a big person that they can even put up with the likes of me.

"Tolerance" is offensive.

BSBD,

Winsor

> I would rather have them simply say "you suck," and mean it than to say
>that they are such a big person that they can even put up with the likes of
>me.

Which is completely understandable.

However, in that case, I am sure you would prefer someone tell you "you suck" and leave you be, than tell you "you suck" then work as hard as they could with the FAA to find fault with your airplane to get you off 'their' airport.

In both cases they think you suck. In the former case they're tolerating your suckiness.

"Tolerance" is offensive.

Offensive, and dishonest, it's like living your entire life in a constant lie.

I don't see why that is a good thing.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

> I would rather have them simply say "you suck," and mean it than to say
>that they are such a big person that they can even put up with the likes of
>me.

Which is completely understandable.

However, in that case, I am sure you would prefer someone tell you "you suck" and leave you be, than tell you "you suck" then work as hard as they could with the FAA to find fault with your airplane to get you off 'their' airport.

In both cases they think you suck. In the former case they're tolerating your suckiness.

Okay, there I have to agree. I do not mind someone disliking me so long as they can see fit to leave me alone, since I am generally willing to return the favor.

All too often enmity is well earned. I have been to DZs where the culture clash with the GA crowd or local population was worked mercilessly, and I fully understand why the locals came down on the DZ when the opportunity presented itself.

Achieving some kind of peaceful coexistance can be difficult, and it is all the more difficult in light of the kind of veiled contempt that comes with "tolerance."

You do not need a mutual admiration society to have a good working relationship, and a bit of respect goes a long way. Sometimes strong fences make good neighbors, and the lake in Massachusetts with the long name comes to mind.

For those who never lived in Mass, Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg was named in Algonquin as "we fish on our side, you fish on your side, and nobody fishes in the middle" IIRC. My Algonquin is kind of rusty.

BSBD,

Winsor

>Offensive, and dishonest, it's like living your entire life in a constant lie. I
> don't see why that is a good thing.

The moderators tolerate you all the time! I assume you think that's a good thing.

Not necessarily -
On the other hand - you are "tollerated" by more than you tolerate.

First, transgender people come in all shapes, from so many different walks of life, so there are also transgender people who happen to be conservative. I myself know some apart from Caitlyn Jenner. Given the way most conservatives see and treat transgender people (introducing defamatory "bathroom bills" or calling us abominations, denying us equal rights) it is no wonder that many transgender people lean towards liberalism. But not all of them. We are not walking stereotypes.

And for the dreaded t-word: Please have a look here at http://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender, I don't make up anything.
Defamatory: "tranny," "she-male," "he/she," "it," "shim"
These words dehumanize transgender people and should not be used in mainstream media. The criteria for using these derogatory terms should be the same as those applied to vulgar epithets used to target other groups: they should not be used except in a direct quote that reveals the bias of the person quoted. So that such words are not given credibility in the media, it is preferred that reporters say, "The person used a derogatory word for a transgender person." Please note that while some transgender people may use "tranny" to describe themselves, others find it profoundly offensive.

Best wishes & Hugs, Hannah
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Bless your heart.

I think people should be classified by their chromosomes; XX = Female, XY = Male.

Have a blessed day.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Bless your heart.

I think people should be classified by their chromosomes; XX = Female, XY = Male.

Have a blessed day.

Not always..... several anomalies exist

so are those gods mistakes??

from Wiki

Klinefelter syndrome is one of the most common chromosomal disorders, occurring in 1:500 to 1:1000 live male births.[4][8] It is named after Harry Klinefelter who identified the condition in the 1940s.[9] 1956 saw the identification of the extra X chromosome.[10] Mice also can have the XXY syndrome, making them a useful research model.[11]

48, XXYY syndrome is a sex chromosome anomaly in which males have an extra X and Y chromosome. Human cells usually contain two sex chromosomes, one from the mother and one from the father. Usually, females have two X chromosomes (XX) and males have one X and one Y chromosome (XY). The appearance of at least one Y chromosome with a properly functioning SRY gene makes a male. Therefore, XXYY normally only affects males. Males affected with XXYY syndrome have 48 chromosomes instead of the typical 46. This is why XXYY syndrome is sometimes written as 48, XXYY syndrome. It is estimated that XXYY affects one in every 18,000–40,000 male births.