PLFXpert

Do You Believe Every Human Life is Unequivocally More Important to Protect Than the Life of Any Animal?

Serial killers, including Manson, Gein, Bundy, Dahmer and Gacy are simply mentally ill. They definitely need to be locked up to protect society, but killing them is simply an act of revenge for those that want it.

Closet liberal.

Its disheartening to be accused of having a mental disorder like liberalism, especially since I worked so hard to achieve credibility, common sense and dignity which they lack. ;)

Accordingly, you should be compassionately locked up to protect real conservatives.

Are you saying that someone who reaches for understanding is a liberal? I thought it was the other way around? You cant combine a man of understanding with politics... the two do not understand each other.
"We didn't start the fire"

If I was told I had to shoot Ted Bundy or some random animal I would have cleared a mag before you finished your sentence and I can promise you that the animal would be just fine.

Serial killers, including Manson, Gein, Bundy, Dahmer and Gacy are simply mentally ill. They definitely need to be locked up to protect society, but killing them is simply an act of revenge for those that want it.

Most recent studies have found that most of these people suffered from some type of head injury in their earlier lives.

In the big picture, does that really matter?

For whatever reason, the murder(s) were still committed by them. Once that happens it's not like after "treatment" these people are going to become productive members of society.

Why treat them differently? [:/]

To the original question: No. Sometimes there are humans that need to be put down or out of their misery just like animals.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Why treat them differently?

You want to be careful not to become them. Revenge is not the same as Justice... but it sometimes acts, sounds, and feels the same.

It's not just justice or revenge. It's simply you've shown you have no value for human life and rather than others pay to keep you incarcerated, we're ending yours.

While the reasoning for an act is important, it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

> It's simply you've shown you have no value for human life and
>rather than others pay to keep you incarcerated, we're ending yours.

I'm fine with whatever's cheaper - which currently is life in prison.

Don't get me started about that... >:(

Just one example: If I'm driving, and some dog or cat got in the way and did not give me an opportunity to brake to avoid running over them, then too fucking bad. I'm not going to swerve and hit a parked car or tree or something like that. Any cop will tell you the same thing. Now deer, on the other hand, all you can do is either speed up to cut them off or slam on the brakes and don't swerve!

But yeah, my life and those of my family is more important than any animal out there, to me.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Do You Believe Every Human Life is Unequivocally More Important to Protect Than the Life of Any Animal?

Given how man treats man, I would have to say no. Most, if not all, animals do not have a choice in the matter. Especially domestic pets or companions (I'm not talking about animals in the wild either).

Having said that, we still must put human needs first. In the central valley of California, it's a prime example of environmental lobby gone off the deep end, and utter lack of imagination to protect a little minnow called the Delta Smelt. Now, the entire central valley agricultural region is suffering 40+% unemployment, there are food lines at soup-type-kitchens, and the farmers that own their land can barely support 10% of what they used to grow.

The environmentalists don't care. Instead of looking for ways to improve the infrastructure, they simply demanded, and won, legislation that has crippled an entire region of the world's eighth largest economy.

A little imagination and innovation could have produced a solution that would not have devastated hundreds-of-thousands-of-acres of land, and cost tens-of-thousands of jobs. I don't yet know what the answer could be. I do know that you don't shut down one of the major bread-baskets in the world for a single ideological goal.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

In the central valley of California, it's a prime example of environmental lobby gone off the deep end, and utter lack of imagination to protect a little minnow called the Delta Smelt.

If you look even just a tiny bit deeper, you'll find it is far more than just the Delta Smelt that is being protected. It's really easy to hold up a little fish and say it's ridiculous to do what's been done because of it, but the truth is that's simply not the case. It's far more than just the one species of fish.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

someone breaks into my house. at that point, my dog's life is worth more than his.

Can you explain the difference between your example, and one involving illegal whalers, and the lives of the whales the Sea Shepherd crew wants to protect? I am assuming, of course, you are not talking about killing the perpetrator to protect your dog; that would be far worse than anything the Sea Shepherd organization ever did for a whale.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

We all have our own opinions on this matter, I'm of the opinion that human life is only more important to
the majority of you because society dictates that it is, Society has made a lot of mistakes and will keep on
making mistakes, We can all learn a lot from the animal kingdom.

In answer to your question. Human life is NOT unequivocally more important to protect than the life of any animal.

Gone fishing

No.

If someone was trying to intentionally Kill My Dog without Cause, I would use whatever means I had available to stop them. Including Lethal force if necessary.

Pets are a Member of the Family. Family must be protected.

That said, I do not generally allow animals in the house. People live in Houses, Animals live outside. Pets included. In extreme weather conditions that are unsafe for animals to be outside, I will bring them into a heated garage.

Likewise, If I have to make a choice between My Pet (or any Animal) and a Random Human, The pet will loose. Example.. A Dog and a Person run out in fount of my car, I will swerve towards the dog in order to miss the person even if it is my own pet.

Every situation is different so I ca not say "Unequivocally More Important to Protect" but I would say generally and usually more important to protect Humans over Animals.

In the central valley of California, it's a prime example of environmental lobby gone off the deep end, and utter lack of imagination to protect a little minnow called the Delta Smelt.

If you look even just a tiny bit deeper, you'll find it is far more than just the Delta Smelt that is being protected. It's really easy to hold up a little fish and say it's ridiculous to do what's been done because of it, but the truth is that's simply not the case. It's far more than just the one species of fish.

It is that simple in the end. Other factors to allocate more and more water to wildlife restoration are directly attributable to the end-state lawsuits over the Delta Smelt.

I acknowledge that they play a role in the food chain for other species of fish, but you cannot, with the swipe of a pen wipe out the livelihoods of tens-of-thousands of people in an instant.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=6734504

http://www.newsweek.com/id/211381

This is where there has been an utter failure on both sides to find a solution. There are certainly ways to irrigate the land, and reclaim the smelt before they get caught in wells.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

> In the central valley of California, it's a prime example of environmental lobby
> gone off the deep end, and utter lack of imagination to protect a little minnow
> called the Delta Smelt.

I actually think that's humans rum amok. We are now draining the Colorado River dry. That's right - for most of the year no water reaches the mouth of the river any more. The only life in the delta comes from agricultural runoff.

We're also sucking so much water out of the Sacramento River that it's starting to back up; we're sucking seawater into the intake pumps.

That's insane. It's not sustainable for us OR any fish/amphibians/plant life in the area. Thank god someone with at least a little sense reduced pumping.

>A little imagination and innovation could have produced a solution that would
>not have devastated hundreds-of-thousands-of-acres of land . . .

What is that "imagination and innovation?" We just opened a desalination plant here, but that won't even make a dent in water demand. We're recycling water as much as we can, but few people want to use it. We're restricting water usage, but of course people are calling us "environmental lunatics/nazis" for that. We tried to get a peripheral canal built to basically avoid that area altogether, but that's a "boondoggle" that only "tax and spend" politicians support. (And of course even if we do that it only delays the day that we'll suck the Sacramento River dry.)

So what's the simple solution that can be arrived at with just a little innovation? A few million people would love to hear it.

If a poacher was about to shoot the last breeding pair of (black rhinos, giant pandas, white tigers, insert other species here) and the only way to stop him was to shoot him, then shoot him.

I wonder how many people who would shoot the poacher in this situation, still would if the "insert other species here" were a solenodon.

Why shouldn't rodents of unusual size get the same prelation?
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Having said that, we still must put human needs first. In the central valley of California, it's a prime example of environmental lobby gone off the deep end, and utter lack of imagination to protect a little minnow called the Delta Smelt

Wow. I did not know that. That sounds like certain people in politics looking for votes, or just plain crazy to me. Im not sure, but I would think that extreme enviornmentalists like this have no problem voting for like-minded (seemingly) politicians.. This is definitely going overboard.
"We didn't start the fire"