virgin-burner

should switzerland ban the building of minarets!?

I lived close to a large mosque for a while and had to listen to the incessant yodeling coming from the PA in the minarets. It's like having to sit through the most tuneless of the auditions from the X-Factor 5 times a day, 365 days a year. It gets really frickin annoying after a while.

And now all the PC people are up in arms because they can't inflict the same torture on the Swiss.

Why can't the muslims build minarets the same shape as a church tower, or of a shape that fits into
local surroundings, I'm quite shure Alla dosen't care what shape a minaret is as long as people
can pray.

Gone fishing

I lived close to a large mosque for a while and had to listen to the incessant yodeling coming from the PA in the minarets. It's like having to sit through the most tuneless of the auditions from the X-Factor 5 times a day, 365 days a year. It gets really frickin annoying after a while.

And now all the PC people are up in arms because they can't inflict the same torture on the Swiss.

Why can't the muslims build minarets the same shape as a church tower, or of a shape that fits into
local surroundings, I'm quite shure Alla dosen't care what shape a minaret is as long as people
can pray.

they can fucking pray and build mosques all fucking day long; only minarets will be forbidden!

and that PC-crap is a sure way to make people vote the way we did!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

That was already banned. This was about the shape of the building.

you dont know much about the issue,

Am I wrong? Are minarets in Switzerland currently allowed to broadcast the call to prayer?

yet you feel strong opinions about it; why!?

I've explained my reasons already - it's a good issue with which to explore the conflicts between democracy and freedom.

BTW, you haven't answered my question yet: how do you see the ban on Minarets as being a victory for free speech?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

you dont know much about the issue, yet you feel strong opinions about it; why!?

Because he's an ethical human being.

and the majority of swiss are not? why dont we ask what the arabian world thinks of the US? oh, you couldnt care less, because your standards are that much higher!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

you dont know much about the issue,

Am I wrong? Are minarets in Switzerland currently allowed to broadcast the call to prayer?

yet you feel strong opinions about it; why!?

I've explained my reasons already - it's a good issue with which to explore the conflicts between democracy and freedom.

BTW, you haven't answered my question yet: how do you see the ban on Minarets as being a victory for free speech?

direct democracy = 100'000 people signing a petition / petition including whatever is sad = freedom of speech

the people have voted; now several groups are looking into legal matters to ban the banning - throwing a fucking temper tantrum = no freedom of speech
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

direct democracy = 100'000 people signing a petition / petition including whatever is sad = freedom of speech

Voting is the exercise of Democracy, but in this case it has been used to ban a form of expression. Do you think that's a victory of free speech?

If the people succesfully voted to ban any pro-muslim literature, would that be a victory of free speech?

throwing a fucking temper tantrum = no freedom of speech

Eh?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Damn, don't get your knickers in a twist. I never mentioned mosques, Obviously no civilised country
would prevent a bonafida religion from praying. we are talking about minarets and minarets are synonymous
with some guy catawhalling at ungodly hours and very often stick out like a sore thumb

Gone fishing

Damn, don't get your knickers in a twist. I never mentioned mosques, Obviously no civilised country
would prevent a bonafida religion from praying. we are talking about minarets and minarets are synonymous
with some guy catawhalling at ungodly hours and very often stick out like a sore thumb

i'm not! :)
thing is, in probably most european countries, if a vote like this could be carried out, the outcome would very likely be the same..

and yes, the minarets ARE synonymous..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

The world's tallest minaret (at 210 metres) is located at the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, Morocco The world's tallest brick minaret is Qutub Minar located in Delhi, India. There are two 230 metre tall minarets under construction in Tehran, Iran.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minaret

Appalling that so much support for banning minarets would be found in a forum containing many BASE jumpers.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

you dont know much about the issue, yet you feel strong opinions about it; why!?

and the majority of swiss are not?

Precisely! And they've demonstrated that by democratic process!

unlike yours, our democracy cant be bought!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

The world's tallest minaret (at 210 metres) is located at the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, Morocco The world's tallest brick minaret is Qutub Minar located in Delhi, India. There are two 230 metre tall minarets under construction in Tehran, Iran.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minaret

Appalling that so much support for banning minarets would be found in a forum containing many BASE jumpers.

Sharia law *999* states, Any one caught launching from a minaret will publicly lose their balls -(funny no mention of female gender
must be because of the shishkabab the females wear (prevents them from pulling)) pun intended.
Are you willing to put your balls on the block for a jump.

For all you PC wankers that was a joke.

Gone fishing

We also had to vote to ban the export of war material.
Guess what? The majority refused the ban.
Why? Because it would endanger 5000 jobs.

Apparently, for the majority of the Swiss people (68%), it's better to sell weapons to kill civilians abroad than losing 5000 jobs here. So I guess you're right Andy, these votes showed that the majority doesn't give a flying fuck about ethics.
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

If the "free speech" don't tread on minority argument is followed through to its logical conclusion then you don't mind sharia law being applied locally?

I honestly don't understand yours and Jakee stance - a minority activity that disrupts and or offends people is over-ruled by a majority and it is a problem?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I honestly don't understand yours and Jakee stance - a minority activity that disrupts and or offends people is over-ruled by a majority and it is a problem?

Well, "disrupts" and "offends" are two vastly different things, in this context. As for "disrupts", I've already said in post #25 that I had no objection to reasonable noise-abating restrictions. As for "offends", that's where my American-bred mind-set kicks in. To my way of thinking, if the sight of a minaret on a mosque "offends" people who tsk-tsk every Sunday as they sit in their churches with steeples on them, that's tough shit.

It brings to mind the remark of your countryman up-thread who referred to the sound of Muslim calls to prayer as "yodeling". Very culturally narrow-minded. I imagine that to some people in Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist countries, the sound of a choir singing Christian hymns might sound as discordant as fingernails scraping down a blackboard.

Competing concerns (legitimate ones, that is) can be harmonized if people are willing to be mutually reasonable and cooperative. For example, one can have minarets, on religious grounds, but still enact noise regulations that limit any sound broadcast from houses of worship (which would include Muslim calls to prayer, the tolling of bells in Christian church steeples, etc.) to not more than "X" decibels, for "x" amount of time..... etc.

I have to say that when I lived in Cambridge (UK) I rather liked waking to the sound of the peal of 12 bells ringing "changes" on a Sunday morning, despite being an atheist. They were real bells though, not some recording played over a PA system.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, "disrupts" and "offends" are two vastly different things, in this context. As for "disrupts", I've already said in post #25 that I had no objection to reasonable noise-abating restrictions. As for "offends", that's where my American-bred mind-set kicks in. To my way of thinking, if the sight of a minaret on a mosque "offends" people who tsk-tsk every Sunday as they sit in their churches with steeples on them, that's tough shit.

It brings to mind the remark of your countryman up-thread who referred to the sound of Muslim calls to prayer as "yodeling". Very culturally narrow-minded. I imagine that to some people in Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist countries, the sound of a choir singing Christian hymns might sound as discordant as fingernails scraping down a blackboard.

Hmm... you are the one who doesn't give a fuck who you offend or how you do it, that's just tough shit, and yet I'm narrow minded for choosing the word "yodeling"? I think you just sank your own argument.

Competing concerns (legitimate ones, that is) can be harmonized if people are willing to be mutually reasonable and cooperative. For example, one can have minarets, on religious grounds, but still enact noise regulations that limit any sound broadcast from houses of worship (which would include Muslim calls to prayer, the tolling of bells in Christian church steeples, etc.) to not more than "X" decibels, for "x" amount of time..... etc.

I have to say that when I lived in Cambridge (UK) I rather liked waking to the sound of the peal of 12 bells ringing "changes" on a Sunday morning, despite being an atheist. They were real bells though, not some recording played over a PA system.

To some ears, they sound like yodeling.

> we are talking about minarets and minarets are synonymous
> with some guy catawhalling at ungodly hours and very often stick
> out like a sore thumb.

Fair enough. In that vein we should also ban church steeples with their bells that wake you up at hours when many decent people are still asleep.