virgin-burner

should switzerland ban the building of minarets!?

well, a formerly unknown muslim organisation invited him; the well-known muslim organisations opposed his visit and speech.

so, a conservative convert that says stuff like "praying to jesus is wrong, genders should be separated, everyone should be muslim" comes here, the federal police calls him a "threat to national security" and therefore bans him to visit, do you think that reflects well on the people of said faith that he represents!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

so, a conservative convert that says stuff like "praying to jesus is wrong, genders should be separated, everyone should be muslim" comes here, the federal police calls him a "threat to national security" and therefore bans him to visit, do you think that reflects well on the people of said faith that he represents!?

Lets see the Catholic Church rapes kids and hides it, send the priest to new places so they can rape more.

I hope mots people are smart enough to understand that they do not represent all Christians, and their actions are not what most Christians would approve of.

I also understand that just because the6y keep on celebrating Xmass, going to church, and remaining Christian it does not mean that they are for rape.

That’s how my mind works, it might be easier to punish all Christians less complicated. However it would not be right.

I hope someday we live in a world where everyone is smart enough to understand that people are individuals even groups of them
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

well, a formerly unknown muslim organisation invited him; the well-known muslim organisations opposed his visit and speech.

This is a very unintelligent, uneducated and un-thinking point of view. Are you sure this is how you wish to hold yourself out to the public?

(+1 to Darius's replies to your drivel.)

so, for some protest, there's a some german imam (preacher) supposed to come. our CIA does not allow his immigration, as he's a threat to public, he preaches crimes and what not..

just seen a message of his, saying he was gonna come anyway.

so much for respecting us and our customs, muslims of the world, with this you've shot yourselfs in the foot. the country will face a massive right swing on the next elections.. :S

Dude, congratulations, that is the most retarded post I've read inthe last year. :S Do you think all the Muslims in the world get together and plan the actions of one wack job so called preacher? Get a grip.:S
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

2nd. This is where your problem starts. I have no idea who your talking about, have never read or seen what this dude has said, yet you assume he is representing muslims of the world. You know there is not just two of us right?

Dude, what do you mean you haven't heard of him? I didn't send him so I assumed it must have been you....WTF?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I spent my early years in Canada. My twenties in the Far East. In South-Korea, I alienated locals as I was unable to try a mouthful from my still partially moving food on the dinner plate B| Who is affronting whom now?

It is just a suggestion, but I learned in my business travels to Asia to tell them ahead of time that I was vegitarian. All of their cultures accept and respect that. It works for short visits, so long as they don't see you lining up at the carnivore fast food place.
Tom B

I spent my early years in Canada. My twenties in the Far East. In South-Korea, I alienated locals as I was unable to try a mouthful from my still partially moving food on the dinner plate B| Who is affronting whom now?

It is just a suggestion, but I learned in my business travels to Asia to tell them ahead of time that I was vegitarian. All of their cultures accept and respect that. It works for short visits, so long as they don't see you lining up at the carnivore fast food place.

No, that did not work at these times in Korea, where they even did not receive me by handshake. Even after a long cooperation time, women were not accepted and gladly ignored during reception. It needed hard work to get acceptance.

It was just easier to have a go on everything served. And to cover the head of a *monster* fish with vegetables :S; Singapore was very obliging, you're just the king. Hongkong was and still is fully liberal, accepting all your wishes, not questioning anything.

Anyhow, it pays off if one tries to adapt to local habits. That does not mean I have to forfeit my fondness for cheese (not the Swiss one, BTW :)) .... :P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

The Europeans' opinions I see in this thread remind me of why I much prefer the relative pluralism far more common in the US & Canada. I find the common European tendency toward smug and arrogant nationalism to be quite obnoxious.

Americans have mastered smug and arrogant nationalism long ago after WWII, to a level of absurdity that post WWII Europe can't touch.

Also, one of five people in Switzerland is an immigrant, so there's no lack of pluralism in this country or anywhere else in Western Europe for that matter. France and England are fine examples for starters -- ever been?

And it's not Europeans in this thread griping about how America should vote or should accommodate this or that group while accusing your country of bigotry (no arrogance in that, is there). That's all you.

Keep the chuckles coming.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Americans have mastered smug and arrogant nationalism long ago after WWII, to a level of absurdity that post WWII Europe can't touch.
France and England are fine examples for starters -- ever been?

I agree with you that Americans took smug and arrogant to a nearly unbelievable level after WWII. Were it not for France we might be in first place. ;)

But I know of no time in history when a nation has had such unilateral power, and not forcefully used it to a much greater extent for its own advantage. Examples?

For five years we were the only nation with nukes. Did we use them for national gain after WWII? We could have used them easily in Korea for example, and given the balance of forces, even thouhg Russia had a couple of bombs by then, they could not have done anything. We didn't, despite horrible war losses.

In barely more than a decade we have twice occupied oil rich land in Iraq, and are yet to try to just keep even a barrel for ourselves, even though we need far more imported oil than any other nation. Even after Desert Storm, when there was clear and absolute justification to keep enough oil Iraqi oil to at least pay for the war expenses we didn't.

Lend Lease saved Europe, as did the Marshall Plan just a few years later. The US government, our taxpayers reallly, have funded more foreign aid since WWII than the rest of the world combined. We pay an unbelievable percentage of the UN budget, and what do we get for it? Largely a pain in the ass.

The Balkans was clearly an internal European issue, and had zero impact on the US as a nation, as it had no oil or other resources we needed, and the war didn't impact our economy at all. Europe by then had a GDP that matches the US, and a very capable military, yet who did the majority of heavy lifting in that intervention? Do you think Europe or any other nations would show up in such numbers to stop genocide in Central America?

We had absolutely nothing to gain in Vietnam or Korea. Yes we did a lousy job in both wars, but the intent was good. The list goes on and on.

Yes we are arrogant and smug indeed. And we have done a lousy job at a lot of things over the years. Frankly I think we should do a lot less of everyting on the world stage. But for that to happen, other nations are going to have to step up and take our place. Which will?
Tom B

The Europeans' opinions I see in this thread remind me of why I much prefer the relative pluralism far more common in the US & Canada. I find the common European tendency toward smug and arrogant nationalism to be quite obnoxious.

I don't think it's nationalism so much as uniculturalism. The US, I think, tends to be more multi-cultural than Europe, especially with immigrants who are here legally (though there are obviously areas of the US with strong anti-immigrant sentiments who would love to pass laws similar to the Swiss and French).
I would say the US tends to be more nationalistic than most countries in Europe, especially in the "rah rah, we're number one" American exceptionalism sense of the word.
Just my two cents.

Um .. Lend Liease was NOT a charity - far from it. The U.K made final payments last year (around Christmas, I think) - I'm not sure if ANY other countries paid - But the U.S did O.K out of that deal .... both financially and technologically (the Jet engine for one)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Also, one of five people in Switzerland is an immigrant, so there's no lack of pluralism in this country or anywhere else in Western Europe for that matter. France and England are fine examples for starters -- ever been?

And it's not Europeans in this thread griping about how America should vote or should accommodate this or that group while accusing your country of bigotry (no arrogance in that, is there). That's all you.

Andy must have been taking the piss - His post was way too funny to be serious......:D:D:D.

(.)Y(.)

Um .. Lend Liease was NOT a charity - far from it. The U.K made final payments last year (around Christmas, I think) - I'm not sure if ANY other countries paid - But the U.S did O.K out of that deal .... both financially and technologically (the Jet engine for one)

I agree that they made payments. But at the time Lend Lease happend, it was far from certain that there would even be a UK to ever pay the money back. Given that, I think it fair to put it on the list.

Whittle's engine was nice, and so was the improved radar and German cypher codes, but I would have rather had Bermuda, maybe the Tower of London, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Tate Gallery, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, etc. ;)
Tom B

:D:D:D:D

We would rather still have Coventry ...... um on second thoughts.

But on a serious note ... the 2nd world war cost the U.K dearly (in more ways than one), whilst the 'loosers' and instigators have done rather well, all things considered..... Then again, if our Grandparents hadn't done what they did, then who knows what the final impact would have been.

(.)Y(.)

Andy must have been taking the piss - His post was way too funny to be serious......:D:D:D.

Yeah his posts are often hilarious, but in this case it doesn't look to me like he was joking.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Howdy! You already discovered such a common thing?? :S

We Europeans still are looking for commonality every day, working hard on it, pc by pc.

Your post is plain bullshit and sounds like the nagging of an old, malcontent bellyacher.

:P:P

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Even after Desert Storm, when there was clear and absolute justification to keep enough oil Iraqi oil to at least pay for the war expenses we didn't.

Would you mind telling us all which UNSC resolution clearly and absolutely justified us "to keep enough Iraqi oil to at least pay for the war expenses?"
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I assume the point of the joke is that Germany's/Switzerland's culture is being replaced with Islam? Though given that only 5% of Germany and 4% of Switzerland are Muslims, that's a bit ridiculous to claim.

there is a parallell with Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner".
I don't think there is any humor in there. It's just a reaction to the recent vote.

What scares me with that vote is that it looks very much like german propaganda in teh 30's, and that our sheep-people follow that blindly.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I assume the point of the joke is that Germany's/Switzerland's culture is being replaced with Islam? Though given that only 5% of Germany and 4% of Switzerland are Muslims, that's a bit ridiculous to claim.

there is a parallell with Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner".
I don't think there is any humor in there. It's just a reaction to the recent vote.

What scares me with that vote is that it looks very much like german propaganda in teh 30's, and that our sheep-people follow that blindly.

I'm glad to see a Swiss acknowledge that here. When I suggested the same thing up-thread, I was accused of invoking "Godwin's law." Oh, well....

Whittle's engine was nice, and so was the improved radar and German cypher codes, but I would have rather had Bermuda, maybe the Tower of London, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Tate Gallery, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, etc.

Those are all very nice landmarks, but I think they kind of lose their magic once they've been dug up and shipped to Vegas...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?