virgin-burner

should switzerland ban the building of minarets!?

>like, uhm, we have direct democracy here, so we can vote about all sorts of stuff..

We do too, but we also have a constitution. For example, we could vote on banning minarets, but the Supreme Court would eventually rule that we could not do that. (Although it would be OK to ban ALL spires, including church spires, clock towers etc.)

WHY DO YOU NEED A MINARET TO FUCKING PRAY TO YOUR GOD!?

WOW this is good I can come here once a day and find the most stupid thing I have ever read and you guys keep raising the bar..

Why do you need churches? Or crosses, or Synagogues, or vine, or crackers to eat????????

Your lack of perspective is comical.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

The "appearance" argument doesn't really hold water. There are industrial smokestacks in Switzerland; they're more damaging to the vista I'd think.

If they made the minaret tall enough to BASE jump off would it be better :)

I'd put it down to religious bigotry, driven by a fear of change in the status quo. If the Muslims were more sequestered in ghettos, then there would probably be less objection to mosques and minarets, because folks wouldn't be reminded all the time of the incursion of "those" folks :|.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If the Muslims were more sequestered in ghettos,

How passé. Like Kristallnacht, that, too, has been done.

Sequestration and Reichskristallnacht are not the same.

We all know that. I was referring to the word "ghetto", and I was using the literary devices of cynicism, irony, analogy and sarcasm, which don't always translate from one language to another. When I saw the word "ghetto", my comment flowed from the fact that the perpetrators of the Warsaw Ghetto and Kristallnacht were the same - and ultimately, they were both part of the same "grandiose" process.

luckily, we even get to vote if someone gets the citizenship, on a community level, not everywhere though.. ;)

Not that quick, Chris. Especially the US *does* select whom they let in. It's not that easy these days. What I fully understand.

(We should do the same, much more)

Be happy with what your fellow countrymen voted for, well done. :)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Yes, another European victory for racial purity.

Don't be jealous, your contry is on the right path, too.
edited to add: Very friendly to say "European" .... ;)

Well, that's ok - "sequestration" only works for the body and for buildings, not the mind.
Or as the saying goes, Die Gedanken sind frei.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Gedanken_sind_frei

I'll try to explain this thing this way..... In the USA, if you live in the county, not in the "City Limits" You are allowed to have cows and barn yard animals. OKAY? Now say that a Hindu worshiper lived in the house. OKAY? Then the "City" voted to "RE ZONE" the area. Then all the cows would have to go because now it's the "City Limits".... Would the Hindu Worshiper's Civil Rights be violated because of this, the cows are "Religious Simbols????? This is why people exercise their right to live where they choose..... If they don't like the rules where they live they always can exercise their right to move to an area that fits them best, instead of trying to change the area to fit them.

SAME THING HERE IN SWITZERLAND,,,, They didn't ban or forbid Muslims from worship or demand that the "OTHER MINARETS" be torn down. They just "REZONED" and denied any further expansion.

*BUMP*

The zoning question is an "It depends".

If the city has expanded to surround the Hindu, if other non-Hindus that kept livestock were included, if it wasn't because of the Hindu, then the change would stand.

If, OTOH, the city had exempted others (say a dairy farm across the street) or had made a very unusually shaped "peninsula" on their border to include the Hindu, then he would have a pretty good chance of winning a lawsuit.

It's pretty clear that this is about restricting Islam. While repugnant on it's face, I can understand why the Swiss feel this way.
While kind of like blaming a rape victim for dressing provocatively, the behavior of Muslims (all over the world, but especially in Europe) has been percieved as threatening to all us "infidels".

Someone asked how many minarets are in the US.
There are lots. There is a really beautiful mosque just outside of Toledo OH.

Here in the US, I highly doubt this ban would survive a court challenge, unless it also applied to church steeples, smokestacks, and other tall objects.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Being a decent society means setting a good example for the others, including the bad ones; it does not mean acting bad because the other guys are bad, too (or worse).

Better that the Swiss decide what's decent for their society rather than some dude posting from a keyboard in the US.

Dude, you've invoked Godwin at least a few times in this thread. AND you've told others that their posts are irrelevant...

Thanks for the laugh pal.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Once again, I just don't know what it is you're actually replying to here...

And I don't know what you're replying to either. I've read your posts in the past that were rather anti-religion (that I often found myself agreeing with, mind you). Your first reply to me in this thread was an attack on the democratic process as the "tyranny of the majority," and now you're ranting on about how the banning of a structure restricts Muslim immigrants' freedom, while it is a FACT that the generous and welcoming approach has failed more than once throughout Europe.

So though I don't know what you're replying to, it is obvious what you're ignoring. You're arguing for the sake of arguing.

By the way, I think Italy is a great choice of places to move to, good you're considering it. You might find yourself a tad less argumentative there as they don't have a national ban on minarets.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Yes, another European victory for racial purity.

Don't be jealous, your contry is on the right path, too.
edited to add: Very friendly to say "European" .... ;)

Well, that's ok - "sequestration" only works for the body and for buildings, not the mind.
Or as the saying goes, Die Gedanken sind frei.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Gedanken_sind_frei

and here i was thinking, Arbeit macht frei.. :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

WHY DO YOU NEED A MINARET TO FUCKING PRAY TO YOUR GOD!?..

why do you need a tower with a fucking bell ringing every fucking hour (or half or quarter) to tell you the fucking time in koo-koo land where everyone and his mother has a fucking watch, and to not pray your god cause noone does it, plus the fucking bell wakes me up every night and does not let me hangover in peace on the weekend ? Fuck the bells
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM