downwardspiral

Palin Rejects 31% of Stimulus $$$

> Just days before the election she drew 60,000 to a rally in Florida alone.

And U2 is going to draw 82,000 people to a concert this summer. Size of rally doesn't really mean much when it comes to who is going to be president.

>There were two main reasons for the outcome.

There were several; you listed two of them.

The only time that McCain was seriously ahead of Obama was just after the Palin announcement. Had she actually lived up to the breathless hype, she might have helped the GOP pull it off. Of course the opposite happened.

>And if you want to talk about screw ups you might remind your president
>that there are 50 states not 57!

Huh. I thought you were a US citizen all this time. Where do you hail from?

Its ok... I am SURE you would fit in with the AIP and other fringe right militia minded groups...your fellow travellers... Just as she would.

Well that is the funny thing about being "sure", it doesn't mean your right!;)

Well you guys sure did do a whole lot of QUACKING during the runnup to the election.. and here we are now .....living all those militia groups worst night mare.. a black man in the White House.

Of course her opinion on this is important. It illustrates very clearly how extreme her position is compared to the American mainstream.

According to Gallup, the vast majority thinks abortion should only be legal in few circumstances. Palin would fit into this group if asked the same question. Rasmussen showed the majority of those polled thought abortions were too easy to get. While her stance is unquestionably conservative, I wouldn't call it extreme compared to mainstream.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

And U2 is going to draw 82,000 people to a concert this summer. Size of rally doesn't really mean much when it comes to who is going to be president.

No Bill, size matters!!!!:P But I guess you missed the point or are just throwing another red herring.

The only time that McCain was seriously ahead of Obama was just after the Palin announcement. Had she actually lived up to the breathless hype, she might have helped the GOP pull it off. Of course the opposite happened.

History will tell you that both parties get a bump after the conventions. Again, it is not breathless hype when you look at the power and draw that she still and will for some time command.

Huh. I thought you were a US citizen all this time. Where do you hail from?

Semantics, nice red herring again. Try this, why did the president not know how many states there were?????????
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

>No Bill, size matters!

It does indeed sometimes! In this case, the big number that mattered was 69 million to 59 million.

>Again, it is not breathless hype when you look at the power and draw
>that she still and will for some time command.

Given that she was hyped as one of the reasons McCain would win the election, it turned out to be hype indeed.

>Semantics, nice red herring again.

Ah, so you meant "our president," but you're one of those people who only admit that when your preferred party is in charge. Gotcha.

Ah, so you meant "our president," but you're one of those people who only admit that when your preferred party is in charge. Gotcha.

Not at all. So, tell me again why he did not know how many states there were??????????? Because I find it strange that when he says somethiing like that then "it was a mistake" but when the other side says something they are idiots.

Mike,

It's kind of like this:

If a person goes out and gets caught up in a beartrap, you'd be like, "well, that guy made a mistake".

If Cletus goes out and gets caught up in a beartrap for the 36th time that week, you'd be like, "well, that guy's an idiot".

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Of course her opinion on this is important. It illustrates very clearly how extreme her position is compared to the American mainstream.

According to Gallup, the vast majority thinks abortion should only be legal in few circumstances. Palin would fit into this group if asked the same question..

Please provide a link to the poll where "the vast majority" says abortion should be illegal in the case of rape or incest - the position that Palin espouses.

Fact is, just about every poll (Gallup, Pew...) shows that rape or incest is one of the circumstances where "a vast majority" thinks abortion should be legal - a position contrary to Palin's.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

Not at all. So, tell me again why he did not know how many states there were??????????? Because I find it strange that when he says somethiing like that then "it was a mistake" but when the other side says something they are idiots.

You just proved to everyone that you make the same kind of mistake that you criticize Obama for.

Ye Olde Double Standard strikes again.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

You just proved to everyone that you make the same kind of mistake that you criticize Obama for.

Ye Olde Double Standard strikes again.

Not at all. I am not running for office. I was comparing how two candidates that were running for office were treated differently.

Why is her belief such a big deal to you?

It would be a big deal to me if she decided to run for President. It is one of the reasons I wouldn't vote for her.

So... do you believe in checks and balances?

Do you think that she would be able to overturn a Supreme Court ruling?

If President she will have the power to nominate SC justices.

So does Pres. Obama. And the concerns that others have about his appointments are just as valid as yours would have been had McCain been elected (and do note... McCain was the one running for President; not Palin)

But when anyone considers questioning his selections, then they become either "racist" or "Anti-American" or some other attack.

Would Pres Obama make his SC appts based on a single item issue? VERY UNLIKELY. Same probably could have been said for McCain. But since he wasn't elected, and since Palin was never in a position to nominate one at all... I think many are just trying to slander her cuz it's just a popular thing to do.

(not attacking, just asking. and do note - single topic decisions do make and break elections... not just this topic, but another example would be second amendment rights. Do you consider both topics to be as valid a reason to vote or not vote for a candidate)

See.... here, you're just proving my point.

I for one am hoping that the neo-neo-republican party reinvents itself using a different model, hopefully a pre-Gingrichian one.

Looks like they may be trying to do that:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090503/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_gop_rebranding
(Without Sarah Palin, so it seems.)

That's nice to see, and I wish them luck. Hopefully they'll continue to marginalize the extremist camps. But I have to say that I hope that Jeb is doing nothing more than helping to retool his party. Even if he is "the smart one" I'm not ready for another taste of the monarchy.

And if you want to talk about screw ups you might remind your president that there are 50 states not 57!

It was actually 60, not 57 (all except 3). Saying 57 instead of 47 is not such an outrageous slip of the tongue, when you think about it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Why is her belief such a big deal to you?

It would be a big deal to me if she decided to run for President. It is one of the reasons I wouldn't vote for her.

So... do you believe in checks and balances?

Do you think that she would be able to overturn a Supreme Court ruling?

If President she will have the power to nominate SC justices.

So does Pres. Obama. And the concerns that others have about his appointments are just as valid as yours would have been had McCain been elected (and do note... McCain was the one running for President; not Palin)

But when anyone considers questioning his selections, then they become either "racist" or "Anti-American" or some other attack.

Would Pres Obama make his SC appts based on a single item issue? VERY UNLIKELY. Same probably could have been said for McCain. But since he wasn't elected, and since Palin was never in a position to nominate one at all... I think many are just trying to slander her cuz it's just a popular thing to do.

(not attacking, just asking. and do note - single topic decisions do make and break elections... not just this topic, but another example would be second amendment rights. Do you consider both topics to be as valid a reason to vote or not vote for a candidate)

See.... here, you're just proving my point.

No-one has denied Palin's right to hold any opinion she wishes.

How Americans view her opinions is up to them. Her stated position to deny abortions to victims of rape and incest illustrates to many of us that she is not a person we wish to see in the White House.

OK?

OK?

I have never said that it's not "ok" - just questioned why there is such venom and malice directed toward a woman that has a personal belief that is just different.

And pointed out that the reality is that she is NOT the current president, nor did she run for the Presidency. If McCain had won the election.... if he had died.... if she had THEN become president.... then she could have possibly appointed some Supreme Court justices that might have held views similar to her with respect to female reproductive options.... and those might have changed standing laws that respect a womans right to make decisions with her body.

But, how many "if's" and "could haves" "mights" are in that paragraph?

It just seems like a waste of energy and anger to spend time insulting her ... but that is just my opinion.

OK?

- But.... if you feel so directed to attack her for Sen. Palin beliefs because you are SUCH AN ADVOCATE FOR WOMENS RIGHTS AND HEALTH.... what is your opinion on female fetocide? where is your efforts with respect to fistula repair in Africa? Where is the outcry on female genital mutilation? Or is it truly just easier to attack one woman who has an opinion different from you and then be proud and pat yourself on the back for being so much more of an advocate of womens rights than Sen. Palin "obviously" is.

I have never said that it's not "ok" - just questioned why there is such venom and malice directed toward a woman that has a personal belief that is just different.

Same reason there is such venom and malice directed at Obama (or many other politicians) - sometimes people get very emotional about their disagreements. There are some people on here who are insulting her, but some of us are just saying that we disagree with many of her beliefs and wouldn't likely vote for her.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I am referring to all of the talk of her running in 2012 - not the previous election. Though her beliefs did influence my vote in the previous election, since the fact that McCain chose her was part of the reason that I didn't think he was the best choice for President.

But yeah, 2012 is still a few years away, and her running is a very big "if," so it is probably a waste of time to be talking about this stuff right now. (But then most of the stuff we post on here is probably a waste of time.)

You do have a choice. It's called not having sex.

NOT MUCH OF A CHOICE FOR A RAPE VICTIM, IS IT? The one that Palin wants to force to bear the child of her rapist.

And what Alaska State law would that be, pray tell? Just state code chapter will be sufficient, thanks.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And what Alaska State law would that be, pray tell? Just state code chapter will be sufficient, thanks.

Who said anything about a law? You do realise that it takes more than the wish or whim of a givernor to get something codified, right?

OK?

And pointed out that the reality is that she is NOT the current president, nor did she run for the Presidency. If McCain had won the election.... if he had died.... if she had THEN become president.... then she could have possibly appointed some Supreme Court justices that might have held views similar to her with respect to female reproductive options.... and those might have changed standing laws that respect a womans right to make decisions with her body.

But, how many "if's" and "could haves" "mights" are in that paragraph?

It just seems like a waste of energy and anger to spend time insulting her ... but that is just my opinion.

OK?

- But.... if you feel so directed to attack her for Sen. Palin beliefs because you are SUCH AN ADVOCATE FOR WOMENS RIGHTS AND HEALTH.... what is your opinion on female fetocide? where is your efforts with respect to fistula repair in Africa? Where is the outcry on

female genital mutilation? Or is it truly just easier to attack one woman who has an opinion different from you and then be proud and pat yourself on the back for being so much more of an advocate of womens rights than Sen. Palin "obviously" is.

If the liberals had a woman who has achieved as much as Palin has, given all the adversity she faced since her most humble beginnings, they would be singing her praises,

But instead they bash her for triumphing over all that.

Now who are the sexists and persons who are so afraid to accept others ideas?

Who said anything about a law? You do realise that it takes more than the wish or whim of a givernor to get something codified, right?

So, penniless was talking through his hat about Palin "forcing" women to bear children, since there is no law codifying it.

Thanks for confirming that.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If the liberals had a woman who has achieved as much as Palin has, given all the adversity she faced since her most humble beginnings, they would be singing her praises,

If Palin was a liberal she wouldn't hold a lot of views that a lot of liberals find reprehensible. But she isn't, and she does, so they don't.

But instead they bash her for triumphing over all that.

No, they bash her because they really, really, really dislike her politics. Just like they would if she was a man. What do you want, for them to give her a free pass because she's a woman? Is that your idea of equality?

Now who are the sexists and persons who are so afraid to accept others ideas?

Who here wants Palin to be treated differently because she's a woman?